• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hoarding Birds for Rehoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'll copy and paste the same reply I made in the thread about the bird I adopted from this situation:

I'm not a doctor so I can't really say if there were mental health issues. He didn't die. He was charged criminally, and got of with a very light sentence after dragging the process out about as far as he could.

There were lots of dead birds, the debris on the floors was literally over a foot deep. Some of the birds had open wounds, some had no water, many had no food, and the food was of poor quality. The place was so dusty and the air so laden with debris, that just is walking around and moving cages put enough debris onto the heaters that the place started to fill with smoke once the heat came on after the sun went down.

Honestly, I never payed attention to the criminal case. Nothing they could do to him would help us help the birds. Getting mad at him wasn't going to help. Usually when a criminal gets a slap on the wrist, the victims feel re victimized. Luckily for the birds, they don't really know any better. IN MY MIND I decided that he was sick, prayed he got better, and decided not to worry about him any more. I dont have the energy to be mad at him. We could have used a lot more of his money. We were stuck in limbo where nobody was paying boarding fees, yet we couldn't adopt the birds out. Plus, we couldn't take in other birds, and our whole adoption program had to go on hold because we were trying to care for so many birds. We were no longer able to have people visit bond with birds, etc. It took a long time to start operating close to normal again. Recently we have been able to start adopting out birds again, including these birds. A lot of them aren't really suitable as companion birds right now, but we will give them time and see how they do. Others are super sweet and will make great pets. The adoption process just takes a little time, and there are a lot of applications to go through. We have probably adopted out 20 of these birds so far.
Thank you for your answer. It's a very sad situation indeed and it seems to happen more often these days. I have a breeding pair of Galahs because their breeder just freaked out one day several years ago and took a gun and started shooting it out on the street randomly. The police had no choice but to shoot him and all his breeders went to the humane society. His collection was large but mostly greys, Eclectus, some smaller birds, and two pairs of Galahs and were fairly well taken care of. We felt that we could give one of the pairs a good home and we're actually the only ones who even applied for either pair. While they are not hand tame they are incredibly sweet and I'm glad we decided to take them.

I can completely understand how a situation like this could cripple a rescue, especially if the owner isn't willing to relinquish the birds. Such a sad story.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Basically then what I am reading is , that it is possible to distance adopt ? and if so, what would the criteria involved be ? Seems to be self limiting for potential experienced responsible , avian caregivers, many reside in Florida and the West Coast .Other then small New England states mentioned above... unfair for some of these birds , given the Limited Geographic's. I hope rescues in the near future could expand their outreach. This could have a positive impact for both rescues and birds alike.:hug9:
Our regular procedure includes multiple bonding visits with the bird, and a home visit. That's one of the reasons that cross-country adoptions can be so hard. It's hard to vary from our procedures because we tell people relinquishing birds how we adopt them out.

Changing our adoption policies to expand our service area is certainly something to consider. We are always looking for ways to operate better.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
2 more adoptions today! A yellow morph scaly lory and a green naped lory who was totally plucked, but has recently started to let some of his feathers come back.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks is not a strong enough word to say to everyone involved in helping the birds. You are angels each one of you. Do you have avian vets volunteering their time?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OMG such beautiful birds...

Sad when this gets out of control.

I was surprised when I learned a friend from college had died as a result of a car accident.

Curiously I did some research & deicovered his mom had also been cited for hoarding.
Her home also was in depolrable condition with no electric & I think bathroom facilities.

The kicker is that her daughter & her son in law are big time psychologist & write books
yet they sit in there luxury homes & allow there mother to live like this & endanger all her animals;;;

I guess its sad when your own daughter & son in law are experts in psyhcology & you can't get or refuse help.

Still it borders on crimimal to allow ones mother to live in such unheathful conditions & subhect all those animals to it.

Juliana Bennett Blue,

I do hope the birds all doing well & find great homes.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Archie, the Cape Parrot, is actually really lucky to be alive. When I cut him out of the cage he was in at the breeding facility, he had no water. It wasn't like he had knocked his bowl over, or had soiled his water, there was no bowl. There was nothing in the cage at all. It was amazing to see how happy he was when we came him some water once we got outside. I don't know how much longer he would have made it.

The cape did look like he had a rought time...Glad he has had a happy ending

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
This wasn't really hoarding. This guy was a breeder, with a pet shop in Manhattan. It was a commercial operation. He just stopped caring for the birds, or no longer had employees to care for the birds. There were also hundreds of reptiles, which we didn't deal with. The live reptiles were cleared out the day before. The dead ones were still there, and we did find one python while we were there. The reptiles were in the house, and the birds were in 2 barns out on the property.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
This wasn't really hoarding. This guy was a breeder, with a pet shop in Manhattan. It was a commercial operation. He just stopped caring for the birds, or no longer had employees to care for the birds. There were also hundreds of reptiles, which we didn't deal with. The live reptiles were cleared out the day before. The dead ones were still there, and we did find one python while we were there. The reptiles were in the house, and the birds were in 2 barns out on the property.
Ugh. I read this article where the horder was quoted as saying that the case “has destroyed my life, my reputation, and is spilling over to my employees and others that are close to me.” People close to him are being harassed by “animal welfare people,” he wrote, adding that he worried about the “devastating effects” a story about him might have on his conservation work.

“There is obviously another side to the story,” he wrote last month, without elaborating.

“Behind the reported story is a real person whose life is being destroyed,”

I mean, seriously??! How many innocent animal's lives did he destroy? Does he even care about those poor souls he left to die, in absolutely terrible conditions. This is a uncomprehendingly horrible thing to any animal, but especially to parrots as they are so intellegent and emotionally complex. I watched a video of the rescue, and one that stood out to me was a conure, unwilling to leave his dying mate's side.

Thanks is not a strong enough word to say to everyone involved in helping the birds. You are angels each one of you.

I agree with this 100%. Thanks so much for helping these birds have a happy life.

Would you guys accept a minor as a volunteer? I'd love to come down with my mom and help out for a week:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
A year ago today, RIPR received a call for help with a hoarding situation in Weston, CT. We were told approximately 60 birds were involved and they needed to be removed immediately. When we arrived we were not prepared for what we saw and went through. The entire experience changed us all in a most profound way and strengthened our resolve as a rescue to make a difference in the lives of these parrots...and ALL future parrots that come to us.

Now, a year later, most of the birds are doing very well, finding new homes and settling into their new life away from breeder boxes. They are funny, highly intelligent, sentient creatures deserving of our trust, respect and love. We work hard to deserve theirs in return.

We still have some that are under vet care, some who are fearful and reluctant to trust...we can't blame them. We mourn the birds who passed from the far advanced effects of starvation and poor diets. The first six months it was hard to walk into a rescue everyday knowing there might be one less bird than the day before. That was our reality. But they were loved and well cared for while they were with us and we honor their memories by striving to make a difference with the remaining flock.

Most of all, we want to thank YOU...our followers and supporters! There were many days we cried, raged against the unfairness of the situation, and were just downright gloomy, lol. Your uplifting messages, positive comments, and support really made the difference to us all. Thank you also for your ongoing donations and care packages that we receive. It allows us to continue to provide the best medical, nutritional, and enrichment care for our flock. If they could talk I'm sure they'd squawk you all their love and thanks as well.

https://video214.com/play/s83Wfp8vNEEHByCwf5mOmw/s/dark

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
The video shows proof of love

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
View attachment 251682 A pair of the Amazons. They have purplish markings on the shoulder area. I am not very familiar with amazons but I was told lavender something amazon? That sound right? Very scared but sweet birds here. Beautiful
These are red lored Amazon's. :) they have red for heads, lavender after the red and yellow cheeks

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
They're actually Mexican red headed or Green Cheeked Amazons. It took a while to get that ID right!
Green cheeked or Mexican red heads do not have yellow cheeks :)

There is also the Salvhin red lored, the one without yellow cheeks.

Sometimes it hard to tell them apart but the red lored also have a darker beak than the green cheek or lilac crowned Amazon's who have very pale beaks.

Also a possibility of being a hybrid :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm really happy that you've rescued so many of these birds and that they're finding great homes. If I was closer and had less birds I would love to adopt. :heart:

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Green cheeked or Mexican red heads do not have yellow cheeks :)

There is also the Salvhin red lored, the one without yellow cheeks.

Sometimes it hard to tell them apart but the red lored also have a darker beak than the green cheek or lilac crowned Amazon's who have very pale beaks.

Also a possibility of being a hybrid :)
I'll try to get better pictures. I think the color must be off on that one that James posted. We were actually hanging some bird pictures in the hallway and were hanging one of a green cheeked Amazon. I brought it into the room where that pair are (Rico and Ruby are their names now) and they're a good match.

Carol Burke

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Carol Burke
How do I get information on the blue bellied parott that needs a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.