1. ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  2. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hoarding Birds for Rehoming

Discussion in 'Rehome Highway' started by doodoowmdeez, 6/9/17.

1. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    Thank you for your answer. It's a very sad situation indeed and it seems to happen more often these days. I have a breeding pair of Galahs because their breeder just freaked out one day several years ago and took a gun and started shooting it out on the street randomly. The police had no choice but to shoot him and all his breeders went to the humane society. His collection was large but mostly greys, Eclectus, some smaller birds, and two pairs of Galahs and were fairly well taken care of. We felt that we could give one of the pairs a good home and we're actually the only ones who even applied for either pair. While they are not hand tame they are incredibly sweet and I'm glad we decided to take them.

I can completely understand how a situation like this could cripple a rescue, especially if the owner isn't willing to relinquish the birds. Such a sad story.

Just-passn-thru and Navre like this.
  2. Navre

Navre Meeting neighbors

John
    Our regular procedure includes multiple bonding visits with the bird, and a home visit. That's one of the reasons that cross-country adoptions can be so hard. It's hard to vary from our procedures because we tell people relinquishing birds how we adopt them out.

Changing our adoption policies to expand our service area is certainly something to consider. We are always looking for ways to operate better.

Just-passn-thru likes this.
  3. doodoowmdeez

doodoowmdeez Strolling the yard

James Lafontaine
    Ha! Someone else is on avian avenue! Hi John!

Navre likes this.
  4. Navre

Navre Meeting neighbors

John
    2 more adoptions today! A yellow morph scaly lory and a green naped lory who was totally plucked, but has recently started to let some of his feathers come back.

Clueless likes this.
  5. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Thanks is not a strong enough word to say to everyone involved in helping the birds. You are angels each one of you. Do you have avian vets volunteering their time?

Featheredfuffs likes this.
  6. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

OMG such beautiful birds...

Sad when this gets out of control.

I was surprised when I learned a friend from college had died as a result of a car accident.

Curiously I did some research & deicovered his mom had also been cited for hoarding.
    Her home also was in depolrable condition with no electric & I think bathroom facilities.

The kicker is that her daughter & her son in law are big time psychologist & write books
    yet they sit in there luxury homes & allow there mother to live like this & endanger all her animals;;;

I guess its sad when your own daughter & son in law are experts in psyhcology & you can't get or refuse help.

Still it borders on crimimal to allow ones mother to live in such unheathful conditions & subhect all those animals to it.

Juliana Bennett Blue,

I do hope the birds all doing well & find great homes.

Last edited: 7/16/17
  7. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

The cape did look like he had a rought time...Glad he has had a happy ending

Navre likes this.
  8. camelotshadow

Wow...never saw a blue bellied before.

Last edited: 7/16/17
    Navre likes this.
  9. Navre

Navre Meeting neighbors

John
    This wasn't really hoarding. This guy was a breeder, with a pet shop in Manhattan. It was a commercial operation. He just stopped caring for the birds, or no longer had employees to care for the birds. There were also hundreds of reptiles, which we didn't deal with. The live reptiles were cleared out the day before. The dead ones were still there, and we did find one python while we were there. The reptiles were in the house, and the birds were in 2 barns out on the property.

10. Navre

Navre Meeting neighbors

John
    We do have a vet who comes, but vet care is a big expense.

Clueless and Lady Jane like this.
  11. Featheredfuffs

Featheredfuffs Strolling the yard

Ugh. I read this article where the horder was quoted as saying that the case “has destroyed my life, my reputation, and is spilling over to my employees and others that are close to me.” People close to him are being harassed by “animal welfare people,” he wrote, adding that he worried about the “devastating effects” a story about him might have on his conservation work.

“There is obviously another side to the story,” he wrote last month, without elaborating.

“Behind the reported story is a real person whose life is being destroyed,”

I mean, seriously??! How many innocent animal's lives did he destroy? Does he even care about those poor souls he left to die, in absolutely terrible conditions. This is a uncomprehendingly horrible thing to any animal, but especially to parrots as they are so intellegent and emotionally complex. I watched a video of the rescue, and one that stood out to me was a conure, unwilling to leave his dying mate's side.

I agree with this 100%. Thanks so much for helping these birds have a happy life.

Would you guys accept a minor as a volunteer? I'd love to come down with my mom and help out for a week:)

Last edited by a moderator: 7/18/17 at 3:57 AM
    Just-passn-thru, Clueless and Navre like this.
  12. Navre

Navre Meeting neighbors

John
    I think they will accept minors 15-18 with parental consent. The volunteer application is at Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Thanks!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)