• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I am new here, and I.........

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I think I will keep these Amazons lol
Coojo, lets me pet him every day now and puts his head down first, inviting me to.
Sid V and him are tight, they sit with each other and go to each others cages. I couldn't split them up, so unfair.

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
Coojo, lets me pet him every day now and puts his head down first, inviting me to.
Sid V and him are tight, they sit with each other and go to each others cages. I couldn't split them up, so unfair.
Yay! Score for the amazons! I always root for them!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
You made my Christmas. .....

Has Cujo (sorry, I think on Stephen King spelling) ever put off the amazon scent yet? it may be too early still, just curious.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I was at the clinic last night and asked more about Coojo's history. I only knew that he wasn't happy in his first home, his second home, he was less happier.
He lived with someone for 15 years, I think he had a hard life :( This I didn't know, I thought he was in a nice home. It makes sense now why he is so petrified of hands and people in his space.
He loves all his food, his toys, his perches, his window view, me talking to him. When he sees me pull up in the car, he goes bonkers.
I think he just loves to be happy and doesn't have coping skills to deal with being less then happy. That is when he screams. He just doesn't know what to do with himself.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
@Danita you are such a wonderful person! :heart: these birds are blessed to end up with you, and in time they will show you!

I took my Luka from a drugs dealer in January, the first months have been.. a bit rocky, she never bit me but she would go into a frenzy whenever she saw a hand. Sometimes even by looking at her she would scream as though she was murdered. 2 weeks ago i moved her into a smaller cage, in the livingroom and she seems so much more content, she even bows her head and spreads her headfeathers asking for scritches! I am teying to teach her now how to fly, it seems she never done that and only once flied as a panic reaction. I think, a few years down the road, you will read this thread again (or, WE will read this thread again) and you will be amazed at how far your green companions have come! I am pretty sure this will be the case for me!!

I understand now truely what they mean with "once you go zon..." I think they are amazing, colorful, and full of character! They deserve to be with someone who respects them, they deserve to be with you! :heart: :heart:

And yeah, i learned about the :heart: emoticon LOL

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
And yes, this screaming when unhappy makes sense! Remember, they only have their vocals to communicate with us! When you try to talk to someone in another language, you'll end up waving with your hands and feet, rasing your voice! (Well most people do) your companion can only raise his voice :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Actually Secret screams for various reasons but she is very easily redirected. if you whistle a time or two, she will whistle back. I can't whistle. .... I say bop, bop, bop, bop, and wha la. .... bird says bop!

I've also found if you whisper while racket is going on they will calm down.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Inhave an OWA, they apear to be one of the more friendlyer species so i suppose i dont know much about agression, and in the past year i only heard Luka scream like.. 2 or 3 times, but i'll try the wistle thing :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I went on vacation and took the Zons to the Clinic (they are owned by the vet until they are adopted) anyway. I called to pick them up and the Clinic Manager said I didn't have to take them anymore, they aren't as busy.
She basically said if they are at the clinic they have more chances of being adopted as people will come and look at them easier.

Anyway, days went by, I felt bad. So I went to visit the little gremlins. They were SO excited to see me and sat as close to me as they could through the cage bars. Sid V bit the crap out of my finger while I had my eyes off him/scratching through the cage bars. My fault

So, needless to say, I brought them back.

I love them.

Coojo cutie settled right in and is the happiest little camper. Sid V was wild eyed for a few days, but he has settled more now.

I might get one of those welding masks for when I let him out. I am fine with getting bit, but I think if my face got disfigured my husband would be so upset!!!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww! You're the best "foster" :heart2:

If you get a welding mask please post pics of you in it :lol:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
My next goal is to get him to step up on my hand. He is pretrified of hands.
He was exploring the floor last night and couldn't figure out how to get up to his cage (he isn't terribly smart lol)
I put my hand in front of him and he didn't run away. It's a start!

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My next goal is to get him to step up on my hand. He is prettied of hands.
He was exploring the floor last night and couldn't figure out how to get up to his cage (he isn't terribly smart lol)
I put my hand in front of him and he didn't run away. It's a start!

Saving him from the floor might be a way to get him to step on your hand.

What a cutie!

Yup. Saving from the floor works well. :)

Heather F

:swoon: So happy to hear you "failed" at fostering.