• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I am new here, and I.........

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Well people
These two are more aggressive then when they first got here. They have become a team and feed off each other.
I don't know if I am the best home now, they are worse :(
I am wondering if they would be better off in a one bird home.
Cyd hides when they are out.
I have to remove all the birds before I let them out, then I go in taking my life in my hands to get them back in. I cover my head with a towel so I don't get disfigured.
It takes tons of coaxing and moving cages around to get them in
If I let one out at a time, still the same. They protect the other by their cage and try and attack me

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did you have them clipped? That should prevent flying attacks.

My zons are very in tune with my emotions. Because you have a stress rash right now (thought I read that on another thread) .....I'd cut them some slack. They know you're upset so they're upset. You're their person.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Lovely lol

I see Wasabi's bites and I sure as heck don't want to be posting a picture like Terry does of her wounds!
I can't imagine getting bitten by a large parrot. George latched on and twisted as hard as he could this morning when he found out we were going to the vet. He actually took a little chunk out of my finger and made it bleed profusely. Then at the vet while I was comforting as he had his chest listened to he nailed me again and drew blood. The vet is afraid of him lol.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If these were my birds, I would keep them in their cages until I figured out what's wrong. I agree about the wing clipping.
Could it be an extended period of hormones causing the trouble?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well people
These two are more aggressive then when they first got here. They have become a team and feed off each other.
I don't know if I am the best home now, they are worse :(
I am wondering if they would be better off in a one bird home.
Cyd hides when they are out.
I have to remove all the birds before I let them out, then I go in taking my life in my hands to get them back in. I cover my head with a towel so I don't get disfigured.
It takes tons of coaxing and moving cages around to get them in
If I let one out at a time, still the same. They protect the other by their cage and try and attack me

I would tend to agree that they'd do better in a house that didn't have any other birds. They will always need their own space away from others. They are obviously a pair, and they know they're birds.

That's one of the side effects from having a better life. The healthier the parrot the harder they are to look after because that's when their inner bird comes out. You'll do the right thing whatever that is. :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
FYI they are clipped, they catapult off of things to jump me/face.
If they are on the floor, they charge at me. Then they both sit together at the door so when I go in they can charge me lol

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Did you have them clipped? That should prevent flying attacks.

My zons are very in tune with my emotions. Because you have a stress rash right now (thought I read that on another thread) .....I'd cut them some slack. They know you're upset so they're upset. You're their person.
I hate to say it, I am not their person lol
I know what a "person" looks like and its not me hahaha
They get excited to see me, but because A) I let them out B) Give them tasty food.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They get excited to see me, but because A) I let them out B) Give them tasty food.
And in their world.....you are their person. MC still tries to sneak out through the food door of his cage because he likes being out.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
I never knew all this....When I was 30 I fell in love with a yellow nape Amazon my friend owned. She let me buy her on trial. I was never afraid, or warned, just a babe in the woods. We had her loose most of the time in our house, she never bit me or our five year old. She loved to put on shows when she/he was on her stand. She'd spread her wings and flip her head around in a kind of dance, and we'd laugh and laugh. She spoke Spanish and English...I never really thought about getting bit. And never got bit....reading all this surprizes me. :wideyed: P.S. Yes, my bird was stick trained , which now after reading all this I was most fortunate that she was! EEEks.....

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are behaving as a pair. You are not their person. Neither will any other person be as long as they are together. This is what my breeding male acts like. Personally, I'd give these birds a very large cage with possible part time access to an outdoor aviary and let them be birds. If you give them to someone else, its highly unlikely that person will have a magic something and be their person any more than you are. The birds might settle for a few months and give the other person hope. But, if they are together, very soon they will become insanely aggressive. If they are older, even if separated, they may have limited pet potential. Sometimes these guys can surprise you, but very often poorly socialized amazons that have previously bonded with another amazon will remain semi-pet quality at best. There is more hope remaining human friendly than there is for males.

My pet male is a 9 year old that I raised myself. I was giving him access to his younger sister who he pair bonded with. I didn't let them live together in the same cage, but I gave them shared out of cage time. When he hit 8 years old and the male puberty aggression started and I started bleeding, I did an experiment and removed his sister from the equation. They can't see each other, and they don't have out of cage time in the same room. Gremlin's aggression is much more manageable. At times he's even sweet and the standard watch body language advice to avoid getting bit works. If he has access to a female, all bets are off. His dad is just as you describe your birds. In your case, it might not need to be a female bird. Just any other amazon that your males can pair with may be enough to set off that absolutely outrageous and somewhat dangerous male amazon aggression.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Would separate cages help?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There is something about Coojo, he is so happy with the simplest things. He sort of says mmmm when I give him his food and dives right in. He isn't very smart, which is very endearing. Like, he really has to think on how to get from A to C, sometimes A to B even lol He watches for me to come home, I can see through the window that he is lit up. He doesn't ask for much, and is grateful for everything.
The only thing I can figure changed since that post was your stress level because of Lucky....that's why I suggested that. My zons seem to feed off emotions I go through. If I'm upset, they're difficult.....always.

What do I know, I'm "clueless" for a reason. My two have lived in the same house for years and years but aren't bonded, thank goodness.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
They are behaving as a pair. You are not their person. Neither will any other person be as long as they are together. This is what my breeding male acts like. Personally, I'd give these birds a very large cage with possible part time access to an outdoor aviary and let them be birds. If you give them to someone else, its highly unlikely that person will have a magic something and be their person any more than you are. The birds might settle for a few months and give the other person hope. But, if they are together, very soon they will become insanely aggressive. If they are older, even if separated, they may have limited pet potential. Sometimes these guys can surprise you, but very often poorly socialized amazons that have previously bonded with another amazon will remain semi-pet quality at best. There is more hope remaining human friendly than there is for males.

My pet male is a 9 year old that I raised myself. I was giving him access to his younger sister who he pair bonded with. I didn't let them live together in the same cage, but I gave them shared out of cage time. When he hit 8 years old and the male puberty aggression started and I started bleeding, I did an experiment and removed his sister from the equation. They can't see each other, and they don't have out of cage time in the same room. Gremlin's aggression is much more manageable. At times he's even sweet and the standard watch body language advice to avoid getting bit works. If he has access to a female, all bets are off. His dad is just as you describe your birds. In your case, it might not need to be a female bird. Just any other amazon that your males can pair with may be enough to set off that absolutely outrageous and somewhat dangerous male amazon aggression.
They still belong to my vet. The staff there told me that sometimes people want aviary birds and maybe that is what they are better at being. If anything, they would go back there and wait for that situation. I feel badly because I created the bond at my house. Now they are even worse to home. However, Sid has killed another bird and that is why he is without a home. I do take their cages outside and they enjoy it. I could see them very happy in an aviary, a large one. I don't think could build an aviary in my house or outside, I live in Canada, plus in an urban area, someone might steal them. lol

Would separate cages help?
They are in separate cages

The only thing I can figure changed since that post was your stress level because of Lucky....that's why I suggested that. My zons seem to feed off emotions I go through. If I'm upset, they're difficult.....always.

What do I know, I'm "clueless" for a reason. My two have lived in the same house for years and years but aren't bonded, thank goodness.
I think if you went into the room when these amazons are out, you wouldn't make it out alive lol

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Checking in to see how things are going. I hope it is at least a bit better.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never knew all this....When I was 30 I fell in love with a yellow nape Amazon my friend owned. She let me buy her on trial. I was never afraid, or warned, just a babe in the woods. We had her loose most of the time in our house, she never bit me or our five year old. She loved to put on shows when she/he was on her stand. She'd spread her wings and flip her head around in a kind of dance, and we'd laugh and laugh. She spoke Spanish and English...I never really thought about getting bit. And never got bit....reading all this surprizes me. :wideyed: P.S. Yes, my bird was stick trained , which now after reading all this I was most fortunate that she was! EEEks.....
You used a key word here several times. SHE. She amazons are much easier than HE amazons. And even boy amazons are better as only amazons. If you throw a male into the mix you up the aggression a little. If you let any Amazon pair bond with another Amazon you up the aggression a lot with the male usually going to the outrageous extreme of aggression. Two hormonal males that are feeding off each other's aggression and are pair bonded means total insanity. Single female amazons are often very good birds. As are many single males, you just have to watch body language a little more with the odd one going completely crazy anyway.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
You used a key word here several times. SHE. She amazons are much easier than HE amazons. And even boy amazons are better as only amazons. If you throw a male into the mix you up the aggression a little. If you let any Amazon pair bond with another Amazon you up the aggression a lot with the male usually going to the outrageous extreme of aggression. Two hormonal males that are feeding off each other's aggression and are pair bonded means total insanity. Single female amazons are often very good birds. As are many single males, you just have to watch body language a little more with the odd one going completely crazy anyway.
So do you think the best situation for them is to be apart in homes with one on one, or together in an aviary?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So do you think the best situation for them is to be apart in homes with one on one, or together in an aviary?
For "them" it's better to be in an aviary together. That's what they want.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might want to read this link and possibly contact the guy that wrote it. He runs Iowa Parrot Rescue. Basil I don't agree with every philosophical bit in this article, but I do agree that it is a viable option in some cases. Without going back through and reading this all from top to bottom, I seem to remember that neither of these birds was really ever a fantastic pet to start with. I'd be hesitant to give them to anyone with hopes that they would ever make a fantastic pet even separated. However, they might make better pets separated if that makes any sense. I think one or both of them have strong potential to be Wasabi-ish. I've heard of male-male pairings that work very well and I've heard of some that end with aggression toward each other. I'd be inclined to suggest keeping them together in an aviary situation but with a VERY experienced keeper who is willing to continually monitor their relationship and make adjustments for everyone's safety. This would be a pair I'd be tempted to put a camera on them so I can see how they interact even when I'm not there to watch.