• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I am new here, and I.........

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
am fostering two Amazons!!! :wacky:

These two boys live in the Vet clinic and they needed to make room for incoming birds.

This is an Amazon lol
Hands off Amazon, his name is Coojo for obvious reasons :)
He is very cute, he imitates the macaw, kind of mocks her? lol
He loves to sit at the window :heart:
I feel kind of bad for him, for some reason.

IMG_0472.JPG

This is Sid!!!
This is an Amazon
He is apparently sweet and cuddly, :rolleyes:
The first day he crawled out, flew at me and attacked me.
Not sure what the definition of sweet and cuddly anymore, but I would not describe him as that!!!
:lol:

Not sure if he is happy here, will give him a couple more days to settle in :fairy3: I don't want to turn a sweet bird into a Hands Off bird!
IMG_0475.JPG

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Any tips on Amazons?

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Ummm, I stay as far away from them as I can. We just do not get along. I'm so sorry. Leave them alone when they don't want to be bothered. You can't talk to them like you can a Mac...well you can try but it doesn't do any good. :laugh:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sweet talk them, but don't try too hard, pressure them to like you or pester them all the time. They like to have the space to come to you. Needy people creep them out and they will bite. Stop by their cage every time you happen to be walking past, ask them how they are doing, tell them they are awesome, hand them a treat and be on your way. In a few days or months they might be willing to accept a scratch from you or step up(but not necessarily both) if you ask nice and accept NO for an answer a few times first. NO is when they turn their back to you, move away, lunge at you or obviously if they bite you. If you get bit, its probably because you didn't accept no for an answer when they said it nicely, or you pushed them too hard and they didn't have time to decide and defaulted into he11 NO.

Also, both of those birds are among the more easily fired up and aggressive species of amazons. Watch out for flashing pupils or tail flaring. Approach them when they are calm, the room is quiet and there isn't chaos going on. Chaos means bite to a lot of adult male amazons.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Sweet talk them, but don't try too hard, pressure them to like you or pester them all the time. They like to have the space to come to you. Needy people creep them out and they will bite. Stop by their cage every time you happen to be walking past, ask them how they are doing, tell them they are awesome, hand them a treat and be on your way. In a few days or months they might be willing to accept a scratch from you or step up(but not necessarily both) if you ask nice and accept NO for an answer a few times first. NO is when they turn their back to you, move away, lunge at you or obviously if they bite you. If you get bit, its probably because you didn't accept no for an answer when they said it nicely, or you pushed them too hard and they didn't have time to decide and defaulted into he11 NO.

Also, both of those birds are among the more easily fired up and aggressive species of amazons. Watch out for flashing pupils or tail flaring. Approach them when they are calm, the room is quiet and there isn't chaos going on. Chaos means bite to a lot of adult male amazons.

Lovely lol

I see Wasabi's bites and I sure as heck don't want to be posting a picture like Terry does of her wounds!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They love to be scary. Lol! I also feel when they have "your number" they will have your number for a few weeks at the very least. When they are fired up and being dramatic just walk away and don't make a fuss.

When they finally decide they adore you it still does not mean "all the time". ;) They have a little rule book that they throw out the window every now and again.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Danita, after what Jo did to you, you are afraid of those little bitty Amazins. If you are smart, you are LOL.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful birds ..best of luck ...no real help here still learning about Lagatha ..she is an Amazon through and through...just give them time and space and you will have em eatin out of your hand ;)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I took in two blue front males. Secret was supposed to be a sweet zon....that bird is a mini Wasabi.

MC has turned into a sweetie for me but wants to eat hubby alive...unless I'm watching.

Just talk to them for brief moments and walk on. Occasionally give a treat. Slow and steady and they'll come around. I think zons get a bad rap. They're not a needy bird and they're adaptable (or at least mine have been).

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sassy are those green birds! Love to make you jump, squeal and scream. Watch out for those flashing eyes, ruffled feathers and flared tails. All signs of the sass you'll see (and come to love).

I love these dramatic drama queens, but you gotta watch out the drama doesn't turn into a full scale war. ;)

Know when to walk away. Give them space. '

Amazons love LOVE music. And dancing. Are you talented? They won't care as long as you sing and dance with them.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

This is awesome! :roflmao:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Danita, after what Jo did to you, you are afraid of those little bitty Amazins. If you are smart, you are LOL.
I am nervous of them!

Sassy are those green birds! Love to make you jump, squeal and scream. Watch out for those flashing eyes, ruffled feathers and flared tails. All signs of the sass you'll see (and come to love).

I love these dramatic drama queens, but you gotta watch out the drama doesn't turn into a full scale war. ;)

Know when to walk away. Give them space. '

Amazons love LOVE music. And dancing. Are you talented? They won't care as long as you sing and dance with them.
Oh there is lots of singing/entertaining birds in my house. They don't seem to join in, like my three, they sort of just stare at me :blink:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I think if one of them ends up staying, it will be the hands off one, he is really cute, I feel bad for him. But don't tell him --> :glare: I was in big bird trouble for the two fosters lol

I reassured husband, they won't be in big cages, just small ones, big ones mean they are permanent!

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't have one now, but i lived with a zon for 18 yrs when i was a kid (he is my mother's bird).

Paco goes from "totally fine" to "OMG watch out" in 0.5 seconds. Being calm around him is super important. He really feeds off of the energy in the room. And not in the way a macaw does. A wound up mac gets loud. A wound up amazon gets bitey. HARD. Paco doesn't pinch. He goes full on carnivorous parrot. If the tail fans out- GET AWAY FAST or you're going to be attacked. He doesn't just retaliate if you approach him either. He will actually launch himself across a room for the sole purpose of maiming someone.

He also likes only 1 person on the earth (my mother). From what I understand, that's pretty typical.