• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Yes, the heating pad is keeping her warm and I turned up the heat in my house just to make sure she isn't cold. Thank you guys so much, I don't know what I would have done without you. :)

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
We are off to the vets. Keep us in your thoughts, please.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
They were not completely sure what is wrong with her. They are doing blood tests and will tell me the results within a few days. They put her on Zeniquin just to see if that helps. She is still a little lethargic but at least she is eating a bit more. The vet was amazing and so friendly. They took us in an hour early, which was great. Maghee was not overly excited about being there but she acted pretty good. She bit the vet tech a few times while they were taking blood but that was it. I'm so happy that they think that she'll be fine. They said to call them if anything happens or if any of the other birds start acting funny.

I really want you all to know how much all of you guys' help means to me. I don't know if she would of made it to the vets without all of your help. The syrup really kept up her energy so she could make it to the vets, I would have never known to use it. The heating pad kept her warm until I could bring her to the vets and I would not have thought about that either. I really really appreciate all that you all have done. Avian Avenue rocks! :hug8::hug8::hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
keep us posted on how she does and what the results are

we are always here if you need anything

:hug8:

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
I'm glad everything went well. Her appitite picking up is pretty encouraging. Did the vet tell you to still keep her on some heat? Sometimes they do, sometimes not. It helps them to recover faster if they are not having to exert extra energy maintaining their own body heat. I hope you are feeling better after visiting with the vet. We are all here for you!!

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Oh Morghen, I hope she fairs out alright :)
...I noticed in your signature that you have a Viszla! Awsome! One of my fav breeds!
You should post some pics sometime!

Wishing you luck!

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Thank you all.

I will update on her condition as soon as I can. They didn't say anything about keeping her warm but my house is always around 72degrees Fahrenheit and if I notice her getting cold I'll make sure I turn up the heat. I feel so much better knowing that she has been seen by a vet. I just hope they can find out what is wrong. She still isn't vocal like she usually is but I'm just happy she is moving around and eating.

Yes, I have two vizslas. I have to say that they are not like any dog breed that I have met before. I'll post some pictures soon in the other pet section. :)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm sooo happy that she's feeling better! yay! :)

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I also found out that she weighs 112 grams, the average weight is 100 grams so she is a bit bigger than usual but not bad.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I hope she is doing better :)

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Morghen keep the heating pad going. She needs her energy to get better, not use it to stay warm. She should be in a 80-85 degree temp. Keep her warm until she is better. It will take her a couple of weeks to be totally better. I am happy to hear she is acting a bit better. The blood tests will help them pinpoint what is going on. I would weigh her daily too to keep an eye on her weight and to know she is eating enough. You may have to handfeed her if she doesnt eat enough on her own. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Morghen keep the heating pad going. She needs her energy to get better, not use it to stay warm. She should be in a 80-85 degree temp. Keep her warm until she is better. It will take her a couple of weeks to be totally better. I am happy to hear she is acting a bit better. The blood tests will help them pinpoint what is going on. I would weigh her daily too to keep an eye on her weight and to know she is eating enough. You may have to handfeed her if she doesnt eat enough on her own. :hug8:
Pat has given you excellent advice -

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad she is on her w ay to getting better.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad you had a good vet visit and she is doing better. Keep up the warmth, very important! Please let us know when you get the lab results. Hugs to you both.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I can't keep the pad on all of the time because it is a fire hazard if left unsuprivised and I have school for three hours a day. I can keep it on while I'm home but when I sleep or leave the house I think it would be safer off. Should I keep her in her travel cage? It is not overly sturdy and I'm afraid if she is kept in it for long periods of time she may damage the bars. I can keep her in it when I'm home but I would not trust it without me being there. It is a hamster cage that I made into a travel cage. She is in her A&E flight cage and is acting okay, still sleepy but I'll move her into her travel cage if it is better for her. She doesn't care for her travel cage but I just want her to get better. Is she okay in her regular cage or would it be better if I moved her? There is no way to use the heating pad with her regular cage though. Is there a subsitute for a heating pad that issafe to use when I'm at school or sleeping?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm using my iPod touch so I can be with maghee and it is kind of hard to type with.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
if you feel you have to put her in her regular cage, lower her perches way down, so if she were to fall, she would not injure herself

srtiels has a heating device for her mousebirds that she hangs on the outside of the cage

if it were me and this is a temporary thing til the antibiotics kick in and she feels better, you can make a couple of rice buddies to put near her. they will hold heat for a couple of hours (not ideal but better than nothing if you are concerned about running the heating pad while you are gone)

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
How would I make the rice buddies? Are they safe if she was to try and eat them?

I'll lower all of her perches and dishes. Should I remove her boing? It is her favorite perch but it is pretty tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.