• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I just walked in my room to feed and water my birds. When I got to Maghee I noticed her drinking a lot of water and then shaking her head and a bunch of water fell out of her mouth. She did this three times and I'm really afraid that she might be sick. Any ideas?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you pick her up and examine her beak? Put her up to your ear and see if you hear any wheezing. Also see if she smells funny. Can she swallow? Do you have a flashlight? Can someone else hold her while you look in her mouth?

Ginger

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
She is swallowing some of it I think. I'll go see if she is wheezing or smells funny. I didn't notice it but I'll go look. I just made an appointment with my vet so wish me luck.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
She isn't wheezing but she is breathing a little heavier than usual. She is still drinking....

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
were you able to look in her beak - she may have something lodged in her throat - what time is the vet appointment? what did they say when you described her symptoms

:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Morghen I wonder if she has something caught in her throat? I am glad you are taking her in. Please let us know how it goes. :hug8:

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
How could I check if something is in her throat? She is not overly hand friendly but I will try my best. The appointment is at 12:30 and it is 8:17 here. They said they'd call if anything sooner opened. I'm so scared that something bad is going to happen to her. I lost my Kashi and Phineas this same month last year....:(

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
It could be a number of things. Do you have a way to get her on heat? When they are ill, their body temps drop. You can make a quick incubator out of a rubbermaid container and heating pad. I hope the vet can get you in earlier. Or maybe another vet? Big hugs to you both.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Morghen just try to think positive ok? As Cindy said can you try to add some warmth to his cage?

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Yes, I have a heating pad. I'll go get it. I wish I could find a different vet but this one is the best avian vet in Maine. I've went to the other one but they weren't as good.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I would show up for the appointment early. Just keep her warm and keep an eye on her. I think the vet will be able to see if she has something stuck in her crop. Do you have any apple cider vinegar? You could add a few drops to her drinking water.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you're doing fine - I would call the vet back in a little bit and tell them how concerned you are, sometimes they will try to work you in sooner

:hug8:

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Should I take the water away?

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Your doing great!! Just try and keep her as warm as possible. I don't think I would try to give her anything else to drink. If there is a blockage of some kind, you don't want any liquid to accidentally seep into her lungs. Like Pat said, I would just show up. We have clients do that all the time and we take them on in. Especally birds. The receptionists that answer the phones have no idea how quickly these guys can go down. Please keep us posted.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I don't have any acv. Would anything else work?

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Okay thank you all so much. I'll show up early. The receptionist was going to call the vet so she would know.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Morghen I have to agree with Cindy, better to not give her any additional liquids until you know. Just go early and keep your chin up. You are reacting quickly and that is what is most important. Update us when you get back.:hug8:

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Okay, I'll just stay with her until we get ready to go. I put her in her travel cage and placed the heating pad underneath and cover the cage with a towel to keep her warm. I'll make sure she doesn't get too hot. Should I let her sleep because that's all she wants to do?

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
When you talk to her or handle her, does she act a bit lethargic? Does she respond to you?

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
She won't talk and she usually won't stop talking. She didn't put up her usual fight when it comes to putting her in her travel cage. All she wants to do is sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.