• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I use a clean old sock or sleeve from a long sleeve shirt - knot one end, fill with uncooked rice and tie off the other end

heat in the microwave on high, the time varies with the size - start with about three minutes and check against your wrist or cheek

I then wrap in a pillowcase/sheet/towel depending on the need

these will help if your perches are close to the bottom where you have placed them

the rice is safe and by the time it is wrapped a couple of times, if she feels good enough to chew through the covering, she doesn't need them

pm me if you have any questions about them, they will get you through in a pinch

it is Carole (waterfaller1) that has the heating pad - here is a link to the thread

http://forums.avianavenue.com/softbill-circle/8396-gryphon-needs-warm-buddy.html#post154779

Last edited:

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Thank you, I'll go try and make some. Would you remove her boing?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
as long as she is not feeling well, I just don't see her bothering with it, but you can take it out for a couple of days just in case

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Do so hope she is going to be improved very soon.You are doing a great job of looking after her. The advice you have been given here is invaluable as always. God bless. :hug8:

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
She has been sleeping on her boing since we've got home. Her balance is normal, as far as I can see. She is eating some pellets right now and I have not seen her throw up water since this morning. Thank you all.

My mom is going to go and get some rice to make the sock buddies with.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
this is good news, if she is comfortable on it, I would leave it

she is fortunate to have you for a parront, you have been terrific today

:hug8:

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Thank you, I have never had a sick fid and this really scared me.

Should I still move everything to the bottom of her cage even if she is balancing okay?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
keep an eye on her and see how she does this evening, she may be fine with the way things are,
you just want her to not have to use a lot of energy moving around while she is recovering

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
All of her bowls are pretty close so I'll just keep an eye on her. If she seems too tired I'll move everything down. Thank you so much.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I left Tequila's cage normal as he was perching fine too. I wanted him to feel as comfortable as I could in his usual surroundings. The only thing I changed was I moved his cage to my bedroom and covered three sides of the cage with a sheet and had a ceramic heat lamp over his cage. I put him to sleep earlier than his normal bedtime so he got extra rest. I was handfeeding him too because he wasnt eating. That was the first time I had a sick bird too Morghen so I know how stressed you feel. Just try to relax though, you are doing really good.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Thank you. All of my birds are in my room so I can keep a close eye on them. She is eating pretty good. My mom just went to pick up some grapes and sweet potatoes, which she loves. I'm just so happy that she seems to be getting better. She started talking more and I can hear her giving kisses right now. I hope that the blood test results find what is wrong.

I'll put them to bed a little earlier probably around 8:00 or 8:30 since they usually go to bed at 9:00.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
That is good that she is eating on her own. The supportive care will enhance her healing. :hug8:

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
She is doing good. Still a little sleepy though but at least she isn't throwing up water. I gave her the medicine and she didn't care for that but she took it. I was worried about her all day when I was at school but she was fine when I came home.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's very good news. :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Morghen that is good. Keep up the good work and keep up the supportive care. Hopefully the bloodwork will let you know for sure what might be going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.