• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Good luck on the vet trip :)

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please try and relax! I also suggest you show up at the vets appointment or not. For now observe the bird in your makeshift hospital cage. Body language is going to tell you a lot about what might be wrong. Check the last poops for an indication of what is happening. Check the cage for other clues and see if anything is broken, chewed, etc. Did the bird eat all the last meal? Any vomit in the cage?

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Morghen when birds dont feel good they act like that. Tequila was so good for the vet which was a blessing but it was because he didnt feel good. Just let her rest.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
If it was me, I would go over there now. It may be something minor, and we hope it is, but a bird that wants to sleep alot needs immediate care. A good avian vet will understand your concern. They know how fragile these guys are. When Tashi was brought in unexpectedly last week, I just took a look at him and took him back and put him on heat and oxygen. Both of our avian vet were in rooms with dogs and one of the other techs went into the rooms and told them there was an avian emergency. They both excused themselves from the room and immediatly started working on Tashi. Neither one of them, at that time, had any idea that Tashi was being signed over to me, so there was no "special" treatment involved. Hang in there!! Your doing great!! Thinking of both of you and please let us know what the vet says.

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
There is nothing chewed or broken in her cage. She just pooped and it was all water. She is acting extremely lethargic. It looks like she crushed all of the pellets that were given to her last night. I'm not sure if she ate anything this morning but I know that she didn't eat that much lastnight. I can't see any vomit in her cage other than the water that I watched her shake her head and throw up. Thank you all so so much for the help.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
The avian vet isn't in the office yet. We are her first patients. I'm going to leave around 10ish so I'll be there early.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
While you are waiting to go to the vet. Put a couple of drops of kayro syrup on you finger and let the bird lick it off. This will provide some energy boost keep her system functioning while you are on your way to the vet.

gary

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
While you are waiting to go to the vet. Put a couple of drops of kayro syrup on you finger and let the bird lick it off. This will provide some energy boost keep her system functioning while you are on your way to the vet.

gary
That's a good idea. Hopefully she will lick it off. Pedialite would be good also if she would lick that off of her finger.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Wow! I wish we had those kind of hours. If we did, maybe I wouldn't feel like I've been run over by a mac truck on friday afternoons.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I gave her some. She wouldn't eat it on her own so I had to dab some in her mouth.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
When you take her in, and if they want to put her on Bayril, you might want to ask them to give her a loading dose by injection. Bayril is nasty stuff and birds don't take it well. If they give her an injection then at least she will already have a full dose on board.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Yes I used the kayro and it got on her tounge. Some of it got on the bars of her cage and she just licked it off. She pooped again and it was all water.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Okay thanks, I'll make sure I do that.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Are you getting any response from the dextrose? How is the breathing?

I would head to the vet early. They can provide oxygen and fluids should the bird need them. The vet or tech can administer fluids with 5% dextrose.

gary

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
At least she got some. Right now you are doing everything you can. And you are staying calm. That's a good thing, then she will stay calm also.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
You will see the results of the dextrose, (syrup), within a few minutes if she took some in.

Off to the vet.........

gary

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Gary - She said her vet won't get there till later and If that clinic is like some of the ones around here, the techs won't do anything until the vet gets there. At work, we would take the bird in and give LRS sq and get her on heat and O2, but from what I understand, some vets won't let their techs do that. We are extremely lucky at our clinic that our Drs trust our knowledge on how to handle emergency situations when they are not there.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
She was walking around her cage a few minutes after I gave it to her. She is sleeping again now. I'm going to leave in 30 minutes. Her breathing is normal right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.