• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Full spectrum lighting..what set up do you have?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have the Feather Brite bulbs and thought I was doing the right thing. Went to a Phoenix Landing class last week and the vet told me emphatically not to use them.
Did they tell you why? I can not even comment to this if I don't know the reason why. One of my vets recommended avian sun, I do not like that bulb.

Don't get me wrong guys, I am not yet supporting using them, but I'm not supporting not using them. I do not have my birds at home under "FS UV L's" (my new name) Although I do have FSuvL's throughout my home. Should they benefit them visually, from what I have read yes. Are they giving them UVB ( D3 ) no, they are no where near close enough. I agree with Ellen, do as much as you can, but also do your research. Right now I am heavily into learning nutrition, as of now, I'm questioning if our birds do get enough D3 from pellets or any other vitamin for that matter. They degrade over time and how do we know how long they have sat on shelves in a warehouse, also supplemented vitamins are not the same thing as the real vitamins from fresh food but ( that is another story ) :D

My perfect bulb would be 5600 Kelvins, 98 CRI, ( the best I have seen ) and the UV can be controlled by distance although I would not go over .05% UVB, UVA should be slightly less to stay in balance.

Kelvin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The kelvin is often used in the measure of the colour temperature of light sources. Colour temperature is based upon the principle that a black body radiator emits light whose colour depends on the temperature of the radiator. Black bodies with temperatures below about 4000 K appear reddish whereas those above about 7500 K appear bluish. Colour temperature is important in the fields of image projection and photography where a colour temperature of approximately 5600 K is required to match "daylight" film emulsions.

Color rendering index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The color rendering index (CRI), sometimes called color rendition index, is a quantitative measure of the ability of a light source to reproduce the colors of various objects faithfully in comparison with an ideal or natural light source. Light sources with a high CRI are desirable in color-critical applications such as photography and cinematography.
[SUP]
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/examiners/AE29.pdf Info about UV[/SUP]

Last edited:

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
I live in Alberta, Canada, which means a good chunk of my year is winter (as in 3 feet of snow and -20°C or colder) and my summers are generally a balmy mosquito infested +30°C (which means bug spray and sunscreen). About the best time for fid field trips is fall, when it's cool enough at night to wipe out the bugs and warm enough in the day to take the birds outside.

I use Featherbrites and replace the bulbs once a year. It's about the best I can do and it does seem to make a difference (after the first year not using them).

I have the Feather Brite bulbs and thought I was doing the right thing. Went to a Phoenix Landing class last week and the vet told me emphatically not to use them.
You need to be a little more specific. While not all lighting is created equal, neither are all vets.

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Has anyone consulted with their vet on this topic?
I did. The vet tech at my vet has raised hundreds of greys over the years as a breeder. He told me greys need sun, and not to use bulbs. But after considering all the info out there, including this thread, and the fact that I live in Oregon where we are a little short on sunshine, I bought some. Hedging my bets, I guess. I have the feather-brites.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
While not all lighting is created equal, neither are all vets.
Double agree.

Everytime we see a vet I ask my "list" of questions. Lighting is always on the list. I always expect that maybe a bit of an advance has happened and I will hear something new. I see a few different avian vets and everytime I hear the same thing. They recommend the bulbs they have in thier office along with plenty of sunshine. Some of the vets I asked, if you ask the difficult questions, don't really know the answers either. When I asked why they carry a bulb that is 7100 Kelvin..... They look at me with a blank stare. :o: I have a new vet that is about to get my "list" :D we will see how that goes.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've asked several of the vets on staff at the UW and I always get don't bother with lighting if you are offering a diet that has D3 suppliments in it unless you are breeding.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy

BUMP!

Would like to know which vet said this and why. Please! Did anyone else go to this class that can elaborate?

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I haven't read this thtread thoroughly so hope this hasn't already been covered but I did hear that full spectrum lighting can cause cataracts with long term use, not a risk I would ever be willing to take. I also hate that the lighting to be fully effective needs to be so close to the bird. Artificial lighting just doesn't sit right with me.
I personally prefer good old natural sunlight for my birds.

Cyreen

Good old fashioned sunlight is often in short supply, geographically speaking. Considering people are prescribed artificial light therapy in the winter here, unless someone can supply a link to reputable information (as opposed to hearsay), I see no reason to change my current set up.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I am amazed and glad that this post got revived today. I was going to post a new thread, because even though I have read the archives I remain confused. And in this case, it doesn't seem like it would be ok to just "add something-it couldn't do any harm". Because it arguably could harm. I don't have any specific reason to add UV avian lighting, except that I want what's the very best for my birds. I'm sure most everyone feels that way.

I guess the last word in my case is coming from my vet, who has raised lots of greys, (I have a GCC and a Grey). He has unequivocally opined to me that my birds don't need artificial light. He said take them outside in their travel cages 2-3 times a week. I reminded him that HELLO, WE LIVE IN OREGON he pointed out that the suns beneficial rays make it through the cloud cover. So I'm going to try that. I've already done it once and it seemed to be also a good exposure/experience for the grey, who does need to be introduced to new things regularly to help avoid phobic behavior.

So, Danadear, I expects Minnesota and Oregon may be somewhat similar from the standpoint of sunshine. I add that my house is a little dark, being situated under lots of trees. Big ones.
Yes...except for the tiny difference in temperature! lol I lived in Oregon for 30 years, and took Ki outside quite easily. Now that we live in MinneSnowta, I can't take him out 2-3times a week in 15-20 degrees below zero weather!!! Its just way too cold here, not to mention the wind-chill factor on some days. I don't feed pellets, so I'd rather look for an organic supplement to add to his water or just drop into his beak every day.

By the way- Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who has contributed to this subject- its an important one, especially since there seems to be so much mythology about it going round.
I greatly appreciate being able to learn from people who have paid the dues- research/experience/educated themselves out of pure love for our precious companion parrots.

So- Thanks for sharing & passing it on & taking the time to answer so many of the same questions in all these different threads!!! Isnt there a way to stick these subjects together in one place? I've been bouncing all over hoping to track down this info! :lol:

Another question, oh learned minds: How much sun-time do our parrots actually need? Is there a quota? If I open the windows, can the sun come through mesh? I have screens for my windows, and could possibly keep it warm enough to open windows for a time every day. ....in hindsight-This sounds really stupid....lol See how desperate we are to find remedies to what they need? Consensus!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Another question, oh learned minds: How much sun-time do our parrots actually need? Is there a quota? If I open the windows, can the sun come through mesh? I have screens for my windows, and could possibly keep it warm enough to open windows for a time every day. ....in hindsight-This sounds really stupid....lol See how desperate we are to find remedies to what they need? Consensus!

Mesh actually blocks a lot of UV rays, but it completely depends on your mesh (what it's made of, the tightness of the weave, how old it is). When I used my light meter behind my mesh windows, they read between 5-25 so you'd probably need to have them there for a lot longer then you would outside in full sun.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Mesh actually blocks a lot of UV rays, but it completely depends on your mesh (what it's made of, the tightness of the weave, how old it is). When I used my light meter behind my mesh windows, they read between 5-25 so you'd probably need to have them there for a lot longer then you would outside in full sun.
Hmmmm. Thank you. I live in an artists co-op loft....one of my neighbors builds custom screens for these loft windows (which are like 12' tall). I could ask him to make like a 3/4"x3/4" mesh panel, and I am guessing that would block a lot less. Still researching... :eek:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I consulted my Avian Vet on using FS lights in the birdroom and Dr Linda Stern does recommend them for trying to discourage breeding and for helping the birds see their UV vision, but not for encouraging skin production of Vit D3. Dr Stern said my birds get Vit D3 from their Harrisons pellets, so they do not need Vit D production. I have found that keeping my birds on FS lighting on a 12 hr year round schedule does discourage most of my birds from breeding. One or two hens will break through and produce eggs every year, but not ALL of them like it used to be. I lovebird is the only bird who breeds each and every year; one of the cockatiels will lay, usually, but not often, and the budgies are all cocks. My single hen canary has not produced eggs in the two years I have had her; which is fine for me.

I also asked Dr Sherman who works at Good Hope Animal Hosp., and he said if what I am doing is working for keeping my hens from breeding, continue to do what I am doing. FS bulbs, he felt, don't harm the birds since they are ambient light, positioned one on each wall and not concentrated over each cage like some people do. So, I will continue as I have unless I hear some really pointed, statistically realistic reasons not to use FS bulbs.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Every vet I've had has recommended them. I did quite a bit of research and decided on FeatherBrite. I do admit this research was 7 or 8 years ago, but I've been happy with the results so have continued using them.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
It would appear from the reviews that ioniser light bulbs don't work all that well The Ionic Bulb Unplggd Test Lab | Apartment Therapy :unsure1: The other issue with them is that they all contain a small amount of mercury meaning that the bulb needs to be disposed of correctly once it's seen out its time. It's not the type of thing you want to accidentally break in your bird room. :(

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I consulted my Avian Vet on using FS lights in the birdroom and Dr Linda Stern does recommend them for trying to discourage breeding and for helping the birds see their UV vision, but not for encouraging skin production of Vit D3. Dr Stern said my birds get Vit D3 from their Harrisons pellets, so they do not need Vit D production. I have found that keeping my birds on FS lighting on a 12 hr year round schedule does discourage most of my birds from breeding. One or two hens will break through and produce eggs every year, but not ALL of them like it used to be. I lovebird is the only bird who breeds each and every year; one of the cockatiels will lay, usually, but not often, and the budgies are all cocks. My single hen canary has not produced eggs in the two years I have had her; which is fine for me.

I also asked Dr Sherman who works at Good Hope Animal Hosp., and he said if what I am doing is working for keeping my hens from breeding, continue to do what I am doing. FS bulbs, he felt, don't harm the birds since they are ambient light, positioned one on each wall and not concentrated over each cage like some people do. So, I will continue as I have unless I hear some really pointed, statistically realistic reasons not to use FS bulbs.
Thank you for the report on ambient lighting at 12/12 hours discouraging laying.

ansel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
ansel
It would appear from the reviews that ioniser light bulbs don't work all that well The Ionic Bulb Unplggd Test Lab | Apartment Therapy :unsure1: The other issue with them is that they all contain a small amount of mercury meaning that the bulb needs to be disposed of correctly once it's seen out its time. It's not the type of thing you want to accidentally break in your bird room. :(
thanks for the this information stormcloud! I just thought ioniser light bulb is something good for the birdroom, maybe for my bedroom its good :laugh: because of its energy-saving light and air purification function.