• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Full spectrum lighting..what set up do you have?

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Thanks again. I looked at the featherbrite and I like those as well. I am pretty convinced based on the reading that I've done that FS lighting is important so it's definitely something I want to provide. Have you heard of these lights?

http://www.amazon.com/FeatherBrite-Full-Moonlight-Universal-Light/dp/B003DGO73Y/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1343314810&sr=8-20&keywords=bird full spectrum lighting

Seems interesting.

I have a FeatheBright light for both of my bird's cages. We don't have the moonlight one since they are so much more expensive, we use a small nightlight in the bird room at night. And since the birds get tons of out of cage time we only use these lights maybe 4 times a week and rarely more than a couple or 3 hours at a time. They do seem to help with feather condition somewhat can really tell with the pallid green quaker Crash, she has so beautiful feathering and colors.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
I have two ceiling fixtures with full spectrum fluorescent tubes and one with an UVA/UVB.

ansel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
ansel
I've read about the benefits of bulbs with ions it removes and neutralises allergens, carbon monoxide, cigarette smoke, methane, pollen, and dander.It removes odours too, i got curious cause i'm using it in my bedroom and wanted to use it in my birdroom as well, just have to be careful not to break it as what stormCloud says. ;)

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Okay so this has been done to death but I am still confused and need help.:confused: I get cold very easily-main reason I still live in Texas, besides the fact that its Texas :)- but its pretty darn cold right now and seems like its gonna stay that way. Not to mention that my baby seems to take after me, I see her shiver when its 73 degrees in the apartment (no drafts or direct breeze). So naturally outside time is out of the question until it warms up, which will be a while. So question is, is the limited amount of sunlight coming through the windows enough for her or should an FSL be utilized? Not trying to use it for UV -THAT much I finally got sorted out thanks to Stormcloud and Einstein (Great read I was laughing so hard!:coffeescreen:)... Just want to make sure that she is getting the Full spectrum of colors she should be getting since she isn't near and windows and not sure how much natural light gets to her since we are using drapes and curtains with the cold (necessary in an apartment to keep heat in and cold out without spending an arm and a leg on electric bills.....:banghead: So although the question has been asked a million times I'm going for a million and one since I haven't found a situation that exactly fits mine..... Sorry for the repeat :bag: :facepalm:

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Full spectrum light does not come through window glass anyway. We do use sparingly the FSLing that does admit uv rays but what we use all the time is FS florescent bulbs in the ceiling fixture in the bird room. You will want to get bright bulbs with as close to 5000 kelvin rating as possible and a CRI (color rendering index) as close to 100 as possible. They are often in a store called Daylight bulbs. @fireball249 Note though we just do this to try and mimic the sunlight as much as possible so the birds can see better and they do seem happier, but they do not get any of the UV light needed for Vit D production. They hopefully get enough from their pellets and outdoor time in the summer. Vet tests always come back ok. :)

Last edited:

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
@Timmy&Crash Thanks! Baby is still working on fruits and veggies (she seems to shred and drop more than she takes in of anything, pellets included) but she is on a fortified pellet and I am about to start trying breads and chops too. Mainly just want to get her better lighting (the room is kinda dim already and the curtains needed to keep the apartment warm make it darker). Figured FSL (sans UV) would be the best bet but I'm new to the game so wanted more experienced opinions on the matter :)

Chihuahua

I have two ceiling fixtures with full spectrum fluorescent tubes and one with an UVA/UVB.
can you tell me where to get those bulbs? my bird room has a shop light and i would like to replace tje bulbs with uvb uva

Chihuahua

hmm.. i thought it had to be something bird specific?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Most lighting changes involve trying to decrease mating and egg production, and therefore need to use lighting which provides natural sunlight analogs. Once the natural sun is provided, then one experiments to determine what the best balance of day and night produces the behaviors you want.

I had a hard time getting my original breeders to stop breeding, and used natural sun lighting and 14 hour nights to stop the breeding. Once they stopped, I changed them to 12 hour nights, and maintained that schedule until I decided to allow my birds to go "natural" in obeying their hormones and live as natural a life as possible in captivity as a pet. Using natural sun lighting, restricting access to nesting and disturbing cage setup monthly, did show it does decrease the numbers of eggs produced in a year. I have the numbers to prove it. But it is a constant fight, using financial, physical and psychological resources for, at best, partial success. Plus, I felt the birds were frustrated due to the interference in their hormonal urges.

So I thought about what I wanted for my pet birds, and decided to allow them to go as natural as possible in the birdroom. I feel I have happier birds, continue to have one on one interactions with almost every bird in the room and feel happy about how I manage my birds.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Hey everyone! It's been awhile. :)

So...We have moved back to the Pacific Northwest where it is way gloomier than I remembered. Especially this season. So I wanted to get Duckie a full spectrum light set up. I thought I'd just get her a clip on lamp with a good bulb for the top of her cage. It's been so long since I've used a full spectrum light for her, that I forget how to do it. I have some questions:

1) Can I just buy a regular clip on lamp, from say - Target, and put in the correct bulb?

2) Will the brightness of the light hurt her eyes? If so, is there a good angle I should place the lamp in? I see people just have it directly shining down into their cage, but I worry it will bother her. (Sorry if thats a dumb question)

3) Does it matter if I buy a bird-specific full spectrum bulb? Or will any full spectrum bulb do? (I see varying opinions on this...I can get a for-humans full-spectrum bulb today, but the bird-specific one I will need to order and will take a while to get here.)

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Hey everyone! It's been awhile. :)

So...We have moved back to the Pacific Northwest where it is way gloomier than I remembered. Especially this season. So I wanted to get Duckie a full spectrum light set up. I thought I'd just get her a clip on lamp with a good bulb for the top of her cage. It's been so long since I've used a full spectrum light for her, that I forget how to do it. I have some questions:

1) Can I just buy a regular clip on lamp, from say - Target, and put in the correct bulb?

2) Will the brightness of the light hurt her eyes? If so, is there a good angle I should place the lamp in? I see people just have it directly shining down into their cage, but I worry it will bother her. (Sorry if thats a dumb question)

3) Does it matter if I buy a bird-specific full spectrum bulb? Or will any full spectrum bulb do? (I see varying opinions on this...I can get a for-humans full-spectrum bulb today, but the bird-specific one I will need to order and will take a while to get here.)
I refer a lot of people to this article, it's really great plus addresses all your concerns too

http://mickaboo.org/sites/default/files/files/AvianLightingSummary.pdf

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
I use an Arcadia mini bird light on Mojo's cage. They don't sell Featherbrite where I am even online. I don't think this one is full spectrum.

Arcadia Mini UVB Avian Light Kit

In future I might get a different Arcadia light. I like the size of mini one though as I can just have it on one perch...the bigger version which goes on cage would light up too much of the cage I feel.

He's next to a window which I know blocks uvb but I read he can get uva through window.

I never knew about light's till recently so I feel so sad I never had one for my previous birds!!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have recessed lighting, is there a bulb that is good for that? I have been using the flourescent bulbs in the ones closest to the bird cages as I was told those bulbs emit enough that the bird needs. My lovebirds have never had a problem, they're very healthy and active. My Galah is very quiet but I have had him 9 weeks and we're still honeymooning lol.