• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog breeds and parrots.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
If you get one from a breeder I would recommend looking at the temperment of both parents if you can and there are some test that you can do with the puppy to get the best temperment I will ask my mom she has been breeding dogs for temperment for 40 some years :hug8:

yvette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Yvette
I have 2 goldens! They are great with my birds. My female golden is 14 and my boy is almost 2!
Its been great, they are loyal easy going buddies!
Because of my in home daycare its the one breed Im comfortable with, having toddlers in the house.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
If you get one from a breeder I would recommend looking at the temperment of both parents if you can and there are some test that you can do with the puppy to get the best temperment I will ask my mom she has been breeding dogs for temperment for 40 some years :hug8:
Yep, I know what you're talking about, I have a DVD called something like "the Puppy Puzzle" or something of the sort by Pat Hastings. I don't remember the exact test, but here's an example that's at least similar: Volhard Dog Training and Nutrition: Behavior and Training: Behavior

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thank you for finding that:hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: You guys are all so kind!! Thank you so much!!!! Really appreciate all of this!!:hug8:

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Depends on the energy level you want and if you're planning on training it and/or having a firm hand.

German Shepherds...which is what I chose, you need a firm hand. Which I'm having trouble with her :( She's being dominate... luckily we're working on it, and she's getting better and better. They do have high energy...but this can be calmed down with training, but they make me get off my lazy butt. :p
I picked them because they're smart, quick learners, very loyal to their owners, ect. I actually wasn't a 'fan' of their look. So mine was based on the inside.

Labs are always known to be sweet and they're pretty sporty too. And don't usually require too much training. That's why they're so common.

Huskies were my top fave but didn't get one because they're not easy to be trained...because they want to pull you on the leash and have a VERY high energy level.

I did a ton of research! It was really hard what to choose though.

I'm so excited to see what you'll pick! Any ideas so far? :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Well, I must disagree with not getting a birding dog. I have a chocolate lab...I have had her for sixteen years...she has been the best...I mean the absolute best dog around children, other dogs, adults, cats and birds. Never one issue at all. She is the sweetest most good natured soul out there! Do not cross them off your list...you can't get a better dog IMO. :heart: Oh, and I would definitely adopt....there are too many wonderful dogs out there to buy from a breeder. Both of my dogs are adoptions/rehomes....

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I must disagree with not getting a birding dog. I have a chocolate lab...I have had her for sixteen years...she has been the best...I mean the absolute best dog around children, other dogs, adults, cats and birds. Never one issue at all. She is the sweetest most good natured soul out there! Do not cross them off your list...you can't get a better dog IMO. :heart: Oh, and I would definitely adopt....there are too many wonderful dogs out there to buy from a breeder. Both of my dogs are adoptions/rehomes....
I do love labradors. :heart: Just need to learn alot more about them.:dance4:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 2 goldens! They are great with my birds. My female golden is 14 and my boy is almost 2!
Its been great, they are loyal easy going buddies!
Because of my in home daycare its the one breed Im comfortable with, having toddlers in the house.
:heart: Beautiful photos!!:heart: They are gorgeous!:)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
my dog was an adoption rehome also german shepard chow mix very much a guard dog but will flee from the birds he is the best dog I have ever had:heart:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
We got Coco when she was a year old...so missed that puppy stage:( But she was so fun..full of energy...a little crazy at first but that was because she was locked in a small crate in an unfinished basement and only let out to go to the bathroom. No one spent time with her or played with her:( She blossomed into an amazing girl!

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
Once I read that a Golden Retriever found a wild duck in the owners garden and the Goldie brought the duck back and the owner thought that the duck was dead but the Goldie held the wild duck very lighting with his mouth. Wow, that was an epic run on sentence. x]

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
I have two large breeds--Doberman Pinscher and Great Dane. Both are amazing, great tempered, and extremely obedient dogs (due to a large amount of training on our part) but I would not recommend a Dobe around birds if that is an important criteria for you--the prey drive is simply too high. Our Dobe is a wonderful dog but she does have issues which seem to be somewhat common (please realize that I'm speaking in broad generalizations here) in Dobes--high prey drive, tendency to be high strung/anxious, somewhat unfriendly towards strange dogs. Obviously every dog is different, this is just what I've noticed in her and have seen quite a few other Dobe owners confirm in their own dogs.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd recommend ANY dog around birds. My dogs are never allowed in the same room as the birds when they are uncaged. Our Great Dane came nose to nose one time with my TAG when our GD came home from a vet appointment--it was cute and he behaved (I took a picture) but would I ever allow it regularly? No way. So I'm not really sure how much the dog's behavior towards birds matters anyways--I'm pretty sure you'd keep them separated, right? I'd just research dogs that have the qualities you are looking for and go from there to look for a good breeder.

Other than the running, I would say a Great Dane embodies everything you stated. Paced running would not be a choice activity for a Dane though because of their size. Our Dane is absolutely the best dog I've ever owned or been around. BIG, sweet, laid back, playful, goofy, friendly to everyone (people and dogs alike), just generally a fantastic dog. Our vet has repeatedly complimented us on what a phenomenal dog he is (he knows both our dogs and does not say this about our Dobe even though she is a good girl, so I know he doesn't just say that to everyone).

Here are a few pics of our pups. The one of Seamus (Great Dane) with the blanket on him was when he was quite a bit younger--maybe 5 months old or so. He got up on the couch and covered himself with our daughter's blanket--no help from anyone. I swear he thinks he's a person.

Attachments

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart: Wow!! Their both gorgeous! Thanks for the info Jenn! Very appreciated!:)

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Gorgeous dogs Jenn.:)