• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog breeds and parrots.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see myself owning a dog one day. Not in the near future but in the next 5 years.:)
I like big dogs. I like small dogs for others but not for me.:p I look forward to going running with this dog and being super happy when I am around him/her.:dance4::dance4::dance4:
I'd like one that is known to have a calm nature. Is there a particular breed that is recommended?

Something like this needs to be planned so I'd like to do some heavy duty research.:p
Yes, I will have 3 parrots and 1 dog.:D

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about a Golden Retriever? They are big and very calm natured and love to run.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
my favorite- Doberman Pinscher :D

OldBirdLady1983

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pickle
I vote Greyhound, they are couch potatos but do need running space such as most large breeds do but most greyhounds are good around other animals. I would love to adopt from the greyhound rescue one day.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Ohh, so exciting!!! :D
Here's some links to some "dog breed selectors" that I have fun with. No replacement for research, that is for sure, but it may give you some ideas...
Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector
★☞ Dog Breed Selector Quiz SelectSmart.com
Breed Selector, Dog Search, Puppy Survey, Puppy Test, Test to find the right dog, Breed Quiz
Also this link shows typical traits to certain breeds that may help:
Breed Selector, Dog Search, Puppy Survey, Puppy Test, Test to find the right dog, Breed Quiz
(click on the breed, then on "xxxxx breed review," then if you scroll down, you'll see the "if you want a dog who..." and "If you don't want to deal with..." section, etc. -of course, just like birds, dogs are individuals, might not necessarily follow the breed, blah, blah, blah, you know the speech...

Here's the American Kennel Club's Website that goes over typical traits of purebreds that you're able to register with them: http://www.akc.org/breeds/index.cfm?nav_area=breeds# (this is the most respected purebred dog registry in the USA right now)

Last edited:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I would say that you might want to consider staying away from birding breeds since you have the choice right now ;)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I think the most important thing comes down to training and caution. We have two Australian Shepherds which we love to pieces. We live harmoniously with both dogs and birds, again trianing, training, training.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say that you might want to consider staying away from birding breeds since you have the choice right now ;)
:huh: what's a ....birding breeds? Really never heard of that.:huh:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohh, so exciting!!! :D
Here's some links to some "dog breed selectors" that I have fun with. No replacement for research, that is for sure, but it may give you some ideas...
Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector
★☞ Dog Breed Selector Quiz SelectSmart.com
Also this link shows typical traits to certain breeds that may help:
(click on the breed, then on "xxxxx breed review," then if you scroll down, you'll see the "if you want a dog who..." and "If you don't want to deal with..." section, etc. -of course, just like birds, dogs are individuals, might not necessarily follow the breed, blah, blah, blah, you know the speech...

Here's the American Kennel Club's Website that goes over typical traits of purebreds that you're able to register with them: American Kennel Club - Breeds (this is the most respected purebred dog registry in the USA right now)
:hug8::hug8:Thanks Erika! I will have alot of fun with this one. I want to choose what I believe to be the perfect dog for me, my lifestyle and my existing flock.:heart: This dog will be my very special dog. I have never had my own dog before. Always lived vicariously through other people's dogs because my mother did not believe that animals belonged in the same house as humans.

Now that I am all grown up I can do exactly as I please and see fit.:p

It will be quite a meaningful experience when I welcome him/her into my home.:dance4:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dogs that are bred to retreive birds. I wouldnt go with a bird dog either for obvious reasons.
:eek::eek::eek: OH NO way!! I was under the impression that most dogs would try to retrieve birds.:huh: Am I very wrong?:huh::eek:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
you might want to try a mutt from your local animal shelter and do a lot of training:hug8: one that imediately rolls on his/her back will be easier to train it is more submissive :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can tell you a great breed to have with parrots...standard poodle.I had my amber for 11 years.She never ever bothered the parrots.She walked a good 3-4 miles each morning with me also.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
:eek::eek::eek: OH NO way!! I was under the impression that most dogs would try to retrieve birds.:huh: Am I very wrong?:huh::eek:
No I dont think all dogs would/do. Our breed is in the herding family of dogs so their job is to keep an eye on the "herd". Not always good but our dogs are always supervised or should I say our birds are supervised and they have been trained to not chase the birds if they fly. They have really gotten very good about not chasing them while flying. A puppy would have to be trained with a leash, clicker to learn not to do this but you can do it Saemma. We dont have the kind of house where we can or do keep the birds separate from our dogs. We are one family and my belief is that we learn to co-habitate together with caution and supervision, I never take this for granted.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
In fact Saemma, my dogs are 55 and 65 pounds and are deathly afraid of Tequila! He will get on the floor and chase them, although I promptly put a stop to that.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika

Well.... retrieving and chasing are two different things... I'm actually glad that you said this because it made me say :)headsmack:) duh! So yeah, a birding dog might not be your best option - however, they're bred to have a soft mouth on a dead bird that the hunter has gotten so they can bring them back unharmed... But - they are trained to watch the bird and get it when it falls, so maybe not the best dog to consider. Perhaps worse would be a sight hound, they're bred to chase a living, moving target, many for racing purposes (ie greyhound, saluki, afghan hound, whippet...)
But really, all in all, most dogs are companions these days and have learned to live peacefully in a human's home in numerous situations, so really, take all of this with a grain of salt, most dogs can learn to live peacefully with people, cats, birds, etc, and do just fine! :D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
you might want to try a mutt from your local animal shelter and do a lot of training:hug8: one that imediately rolls on his/her back will be easier to train it is more submissive :hug8:
Thanks Cynthia:hug8:but I'm really not leaning towards the shelter for this particular dog. I really want to watch it grow up with me and to have never known any other home other than mine and the breeder's home.:)

I can tell you a great breed to have with parrots...standard poodle.I had my amber for 11 years.She never ever bothered the parrots.She walked a good 3-4 miles each morning with me also.
Thank you Marian. I've seen some wonderful poodles make amazing guide dogs or the blind.:heart:
No I dont think all dogs would/do. Our breed is in the herding family of dogs so their job is to keep an eye on the "herd". Not always good but our dogs are always supervised or should I say our birds are supervised and they have been trained to not chase the birds if they fly. They have really gotten very good about not chasing them while flying. A puppy would have to be trained with a leash, clicker to learn not to do this but you can do it Saemma. We dont have the kind of house where we can or do keep the birds separate from our dogs. We are one family and my belief is that we learn to co-habitate together with caution and supervision, I never take this for granted.
Thanks Pat!!:hug8:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Our Zoey has been the absolute best dog for us ever! She is wonderful with other animals and loves children. :heart: Emmett can sit on her (supervised of course) and she doesn't mind at all. Brian and I picked her out from the pound and she has been a incredible companion to me every time Brian left on patrol. :hug8: I LOVE her! :D She is active outside, however, like most bully breeds, once in the house she is relaxed and a "couch" potato. Zoey is an American Pit Bull Terrier and (hopefully not for a long time) we will most definitely visit the pound again and bring home another one in need of a home after she passes.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart: I really do love the demeanor of greyhounds. Especially the italian ones but I must admit that sometimes I would get the strong strong impression that that they were plotting naughtiness in their pretty heads. :p