• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog breeds and parrots.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
There are soooo many labs in shelters...especially the black ones:(

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
Toby- is a Bichon mutt of some sort. He's the perfect bird-friendly dog. He enjoys spending time in the bird room. He's mild mannered. Lazy. Doesn't chase things. Doesn't startle easily. He's fluffy and requires grooming, but at least he doesn't shed.

My doggie "match" is the Boston Terrier. I love my Wilbur and my Boston/English Bulldog mix. There are several Bostons on the board and there's just something about their personalities that makes them irresistible. Wilbur is sweet, sensitive, lazy indoors, has his playful bursts, looooves to cuddle and sleep under blankets. Loves to sunbathe. Loves to eat. He's very food motivated and EXREMELY smart....

Dogs that I'm considering in the future are a Brussels Griffon and a Affenpinscher- have I mentioned I'm a fan of smooshy faced dogs?!
I have a Boston too, and she is just amazing! I will ALWAYS have a Boston. She is so sweet and cuddly, but she is by far the top dog here! She doesnt back down to our to big dogs!

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
With magni the golden, I do have 2 Italian greyhounds and a min pin and they do very well with the birds. But Magni is my big buddy, he is with me at all times. We even go to dog camp:)

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
Love all the dog pics! German shepherds are my absolute fave. So I am a bit biased:) I have 3, 2 boys1 girl. All great dogs, very smart, easy to train, of course not for everyone though. But they all do fine with my five year old daughter and all the other pets, including the birds. It is funny to see my imposing 95# male backing away slowly from our 9 month old BGmacaw!!! they definately know the birds rule here, but that's what works here. Of course I would never leave them all together unsupervised though, i always watch everyone closely when they are out together, but they do pretty well. they are good with the smaller birds too, but I limit those interactions just because an accident could happen so easily.

they are awesome dogs though. They are so versatile and bond so strongly with their people, very loyal and loving. Plus it is nice when my husband works nights, anyone I do not know knocks on the door, they suddenly have all three of them right there. They leave quickly:) I haven't had any real issues with them at all. No snapping, excessive barking, separation anxiety, minimal destruction. But I really think they like many large strong breeds , need an owner who will take charge and follow through with it.
My female was adopted from a county shelter and she is the best dog ever. She had a very rough start to her young life when we found her and had a long ways to go to make a full recovery, but she was absolutley worth it! Totally bomb-proof temperament, very easy to deal with, calm, affectionate, loves kids, plus she is a beautiful longer haired shep with a pretty dark coat. I just KNEW she would be good for us. I was right!!!

My older male is actually a shep mix, possibly aussie, not really sure. He looks like a smallish golden retriever with all classic shepherd markings. he is not quite as smart as the purebreds, but still a very ideal dog in many ways. Low energy, calm, not aggressive at all, gentle. He came from a very high kill shelter over 5 years ago. he would be a good boy for anyone that wanted a larger dog, but not too much energy or too high maintenace.

My other boy came from a family that had bred their two pets once before neautering them and he and one other boy were the last two. I loved both parents and this one pup just completely clicked with us. He is very smart, very strong, plenty of energy, but ith a great temperement. He is very goofy and playful and friendly. He is a lot of dog though and I have to make sure he gets excercise and some training often. he is the epitomeof "bull in a china shop" I love my boy though!

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with, you will just know when you are ready.

GypsyWitch

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lynn
I'm not going to tell you that any specific breed is going to work better than any other, only because I believe that any dog can be taught to respect your birds' space and leave them be. I hate the saying of "this breed isn't for everyone"...there is no breed of dog that works for everyone....NONE. Everyone has their own preferences and lifestyles. I recommend going to a doggy park (if there is one near you) to watch the different breeds of dogs and also to talk to the owners to glean as much info as possible from them. But, take everything they say with a grain of salt...just because they own a dog doesn't mean they know exactly what they are talking about.
Talk to and visit different breeders from around your areas. If they are unable (read unwilling) to have you to their kennels, then more than likely, they are not a breeder you would ever want to buy a puppy from in the first place. A good breeder will have references including vets, others that have bought dogs from them, possibly trainers, ect. Take full advantage of this. The breeder should also have a contract of sorts for health/eyes/hips/ect and possibly a non-breeding contract where you agree to have the dog altered (spayed/neutered) as soon as the dog is old enough. They also should have a take back program that allows you to return the dog to them if you are ever unable to keep it.
Doing other research via the internet or breed books is a good idea although you may find a breed of dog that really looks good on paper but once you actually get to spend time and interact with it, you find it just isn't for you.

Ultimately, YOU are the one that will have to live with whatever breed of dog you choose to bring into your home...well, YOU and your BIRDS.

Good luck!

birdmama61

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
Hi there you can see from my avatar my chihuahua gets along beautifully with my birds and always has he is a doll . He loves that bird to bits and so laid back and easy going and that is my quakers nature too . I dont know maybe that is why they get along so well peas in a pod if you will . I have never had a problem of course they are also always supervised as well . But I dont think you should rule out small breeds as opposed to the larger breeds . I would also as another poster said stay away from the bird breeds or the retriever breeds as well .

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I'm not going to tell you that any specific breed is going to work better than any other, only because I believe that any dog can be taught to respect your birds' space and leave them be. I hate the saying of "this breed isn't for everyone"...there is no breed of dog that works for everyone....NONE. Everyone has their own preferences and lifestyles. I recommend going to a doggy park (if there is one near you) to watch the different breeds of dogs and also to talk to the owners to glean as much info as possible from them. But, take everything they say with a grain of salt...just because they own a dog doesn't mean they know exactly what they are talking about.
Talk to and visit different breeders from around your areas. If they are unable (read unwilling) to have you to their kennels, then more than likely, they are not a breeder you would ever want to buy a puppy from in the first place. A good breeder will have references including vets, others that have bought dogs from them, possibly trainers, ect. Take full advantage of this. The breeder should also have a contract of sorts for health/eyes/hips/ect and possibly a non-breeding contract where you agree to have the dog altered (spayed/neutered) as soon as the dog is old enough. They also should have a take back program that allows you to return the dog to them if you are ever unable to keep it.
Doing other research via the internet or breed books is a good idea although you may find a breed of dog that really looks good on paper but once you actually get to spend time and interact with it, you find it just isn't for you.

Ultimately, YOU are the one that will have to live with whatever breed of dog you choose to bring into your home...well, YOU and your BIRDS.

Good luck!
I think this is some solid advice. Ultimately it's your decision, and with proper training any breed will do (though not every individual dog) :hug8:

lilparrots4me

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I have two standard poodles and they get along fine with the birds. I'm concerned about the advice re: greyhounds I'm seeing here. The whole point of a sighthound is to chase small animals.

Whatever dog you choose, please research, research and research some more. All dogs need training.

Aimeecharlie

Checking out the neighborhood
In fact Saemma, my dogs are 55 and 65 pounds and are deathly afraid of Tequila! He will get on the floor and chase them, although I promptly put a stop to that.
How did you put a stop to that? My 3yr old IRN Charlie sometimes chases and tries to attack my two cats... He's asking for trouble and danger and scares the hell out of me! Im not sure how to deal with this! Plz help?

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Since we've had parrots we've had 8 or 9 dogs. Only one (a foster) was pure bred. Umm, we've had a collie / probably standard poodle and a little of everything else mix, a lab/rottie mix, an Akita/lab mix, a collie/shepherd, huskey shepherd, aussie shepherd basset hound, and (right now) chow/Newf and lab/border collie/basenji (we think). All wonderful mutts who needed homes. The first command they learned was 'leave it' and all have been totally awesome with the birds. Even when the birds don't deserve it!

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
:huh: what's a ....birding breeds? Really never heard of that.:huh:

Anything with the words Spaniel or Retriver or hound in its name...Labs, goldens, springers...if they are bred to be hunting dogs ~ they are usually obessed with smaller creatures...However as with most breeds there are exceptions to the rule. Most of that comes down to as others have said, training, Training, and more training....

I personally are fond of the herding breeds ~ Border collies are my favorites. In my personal opinion males tend to be pretty calm as far as in the house, around others ect. They are a smart breed, need lots of exersize, and like our feathered companions, mental stimulation. Did I mention Training, Training and more training? Border Collies are like the cockatoos of the dog world. :p Not for everyone but are amazing animals.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I know this is an old post but thought I would share a story of one of our previous dogs Pedro's cavalier King Charles spaniel, he was the sweetest dog and was so relaxed around small animals, I could let my guinea pig crawl all over him and the birds could ride around the house on his back :D He was so gentle and I had complete trust in him. He had grown up around birds which was a huge advantage.

Our two current dogs were adopted from the RSPCA and we are pretty sure they are a Lhasa apso and a shih tzu, they are wonderful dogs the best you could hope to have but I cannot trust them around the birds if the birds are out if their cages so I have to lock myself away in my workroom to play with the birds.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
How did you put a stop to that? My 3yr old IRN Charlie sometimes chases and tries to attack my two cats... He's asking for trouble and danger and scares the hell out of me! Im not sure how to deal with this! Plz help?
welcome the best way is to have the cats in a seperate room then Charlie

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The first command they learned was 'leave it' and all have been totally awesome with the birds. Even when the birds don't deserve it!

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks "Leave it!" comes before anything else :D That and there's a sound I use with all the animals/kids/husband that pretty much means "Stop whatever the heck you're doing!"

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks "Leave it!" comes before anything else :D That and there's a sound I use with all the animals/kids/husband that pretty much means "Stop whatever the heck you're doing!"

The first thing I taught Vana as well.

I also try to avoid breeds bred for hunting small game, particularly the retrievers as they seem to really want birds.

Some breeds are particularly good with seeing your other animals as family members like Collies (the Lassie kind), and Great Pyrenees.

As for cats, mine gets locked in my bedroom when my birds are out. If you want your birds to be out all day then I suggest they have their own room so the cat isn't confined all the time.

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
We have a Pitbul and he's relatively calm considering the bad rap they have! He comes and sniffs Oscar's butt (ok any butt for that matter, hey - he's a dog) but he doesn't bother him. Of course I'd not leave any dog alone with my fids, regardless.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I have a Great Dane and a Mastiff/Corso mix. They are such great dogs with small animals/birds. They have a nonexistent prey/hunting drive. Honestly after 10 minutes of play they can sleep all day long. Very lazy! My mastiff especially thinks of everything in the house as hers and will guard it fiercely. If the cats get into a scuffle, she will often separate them and console the looser.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Pat no longer posts here. I can ask her and get back to you. One thing I would suggest is to put your bird away or remove the cats. Cats and birds are not a good mix unless your cats take the high road like mine when the large birds are out.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I guess I should add that Akitas, while meeting your criteria of 'big', are not known for being great with small animals. Hamlet was perfect with anything that was 'mine', but not so great with things that I hadn't claimed. When we had chickens, I brought him out and showed him every bloody chicken and say "Ham, that's mine. You leave it." If he was out when the chickens were out, he would turn his head away and walk around carefully NOT looking at the chickens. I had to be careful of him with strange cats, chickens and some dogs.

He was a true hunter - one of those dogs you could have dropped in the wilds of Alaska and he probably would have made it. He would hunt and kill wild animals, especially possum. It was a true measure of our strong tie that he respected what was mine, and I loved him for it. He was also completely awesome with my nieces, who were todders at the time. They could take food out of his mouth and if they were holding his leash, he was very careful to never pull even a litttle. OK, this turned into a little tribute to Hamlet (can't help it!), but I don't think I'd recommend an Akita as a dog that is known to be good with small critters.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd love to see a picture of Hamlet :heart:
I've had 3 Akita's and they all have been wonderful with any small critter they consider family, including my daughter's hamster(years ago) who I caught snuggling with my male :eek: :rolleyes: