• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog breeds and parrots.

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Hamlet was best friends with our goose, Walter. They would hang out together in the back yard. Then he'd disappear into the woods and come back with a wild turkey. He once dragged a woodchuck through the pet door and brought it to me. :omg:

I was his person, and he loved my sister and her girls. He would totally ignore my husband, who was apparently just the annoying guy that slept on Hamlet's side of the bed. He was great because he'd go for a 10 mile hike if you wanted to, but would be perfectly happy loafing around the house too. It's been 4 years since he died suddenly (ruptured mass on his spleen), and I still miss him horribly. Pooka (LSC2) still calls him all the time. I would love to get another some day.

Hamlet 05-02.jpg

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I love mutts :D I have a 2.5 year old Lab/Plott Hound mix and she's always been wonderful with the parrots. She listens to them, but won't look at them. She knows they are "mommy's birdies." I've never had a problem with my lab with the birds, but she was raised with them since she was a puppy so she is used to their noise, movements and I never allow her to be in a room unsupervised with them. Right now I am currently training my new puppies around Stitch. I allow them to be in the bird room while I am doing paper work to allow them to get used to Stitch's movements and screams/chirps. The pups are not allowed to go near the cage and actually just ignore Stitch.

I really think you just need to train your new future dog to tolerate the birds, and never allow them to be alone with one another no matter how trusting the dog might be. :)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hamlet was best friends with our goose, Walter. They would hang out together in the back yard. Then he'd disappear into the woods and come back with a wild turkey. He once dragged a woodchuck through the pet door and brought it to me. :omg:

I was his person, and he loved my sister and her girls. He would totally ignore my husband, who was apparently just the annoying guy that slept on Hamlet's side of the bed. He was great because he'd go for a 10 mile hike if you wanted to, but would be perfectly happy loafing around the house too. It's been 4 years since he died suddenly (ruptured mass on his spleen), and I still miss him horribly. Pooka (LSC2) still calls him all the time. I would love to get another some day.

View attachment 161882

In that picture his face looks pure Akita, he was beautiful :heart:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Thanks. Would love to see pics of your crew some time!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I have 2 goldens! They are great with my birds. My female golden is 14 and my boy is almost 2!
Its been great, they are loyal easy going buddies!
Because of my in home daycare its the one breed Im comfortable with, having toddlers in the house.
Wow, you must have given them wonderful care throughout their lives. 14 and 21 are way beyond normal life expectancy. Good for you!

shel

Sprinting down the street
Well.... retrieving and chasing are two different things... I'm actually glad that you said this because it made me say :)headsmack:) duh! So yeah, a birding dog might not be your best option - however, they're bred to have a soft mouth on a dead bird that the hunter has gotten so they can bring them back unharmed... But - they are trained to watch the bird and get it when it falls, so maybe not the best dog to consider. Perhaps worse would be a sight hound, they're bred to chase a living, moving target, many for racing purposes (ie greyhound, saluki, afghan hound, whippet...)
But really, all in all, most dogs are companions these days and have learned to live peacefully in a human's home in numerous situations, so really, take all of this with a grain of salt, most dogs can learn to live peacefully with people, cats, birds, etc, and do just fine! :D
yes, they are, but my irish wolfhound (another sight hound, and often considered the tallest dog in the world) wouldn't chase my rabbits or cats at all. didn't have birds then. (damn, i miss that dog).

shel

Sprinting down the street
i now have an english mastiff mix (mixed with what, who knows...) and he never chases anything. he is scared of beaker since beaker bit his nose. most mastiffs really aren't big on chasing, they tend to be sweet and rather lazy once out of the puppy stage. great danes are also usually good with small animals. keep in mind that temperaments differ in individual dogs, and the breed characteristics are just guidelines.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
We use to have a female Lab, she never paid any attention to the birds. All of our dogs that we have had are taught the "leave it" command. Also we let them know that the animals are considered part of the family...I always tell them that they are "my babies" and we are "gentle" with the babies. That being said, years ago I had an older Chow, she was napping, I had an English budgie that hardly ever flew, and was up on something hanging from the ceiling...well birdie took off, landed right in front of the dogs nose. This woke the dog up from her nap, her instinct kicked in, and down her paw came. Lucky the bird reacted quick, and my Chow just got the tail. I yelled out "no" and was able to go pick the bird up. Now when this dog (Chelsea) was awake she was very trustworthy with all my animals, young kids, ect. She was a very gentle dog. But I was very very luck I did not lose a bird that day. So even though my dogs are pretty trustworthy now, and have been trained well, I will usually put my dogs in their crates when my birds are out to be on the safe side...

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
What about a Golden Retriever? They are big and very calm natured and love to run.
No, they are retrievers! They are bred to hunt birds. No Bird- hunting breeds, or terriers. imo.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Before you get a dog, if you have never had one, or haven't had one in years. Take a little class on "How to pick a puppy", some people even take dog training courses before they get the dog, so they are totally prepared.