• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog breeds and parrots.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I totally understand what you're saying and I feel the same way about most bird breeders. Thank you so much for putting this in perspective for me... this is really helpful. You clearly have much more knowledge and experience on this than I do, but this is honestly the first I've heard of hybrids not being as healthy as purebreds. Personally I am not concerned with any sort of "standard" as far as appearance goes-- of course health, but in the small amount of research I have done, every single resource said that the health does indeed improve in hybrids. (I do not have my book here but I am going to find it and type up what it says specifically in terms of improved health as soon as I can.) I am sure that for the most part there are some awful designer dog breeders but like with anything... I don't think it's 100%. I'm sure there are a few breeders who ARE working to produce healthy and sweet goldendoodles and DO care about the welfare of the dog. I won't be purchasing from a breeder anyway but if I did, it would only be from a very responsible one :)
The thing is that YOU might not care about "standards" but what is a breeder breeding for if they don't have a goal or some standard to breed to? They are breeding for "cute" and what sells, that's what. All breeders have heard about the "hybrid vigor" but why are purebred dogs living long healthy lives? If you are breeding mixes and constantly outcrossing, you have no idea where to go if you have a health problem crop up. Most breeders line breed, meaning that the dogs are related but not super closely related. This is the only way to get consistency and to know where health or structural problems come in so that you can remove them from your breeding program if something comes up. I lost one of my Dachshunds last year at almost 15 years old. I have a female here who is 13 1/2 years old and has never had any health problems. I have an 11 year old here who does have health issues (allergies and a compromised auto immune system) but because she was line bred her breeder knew exactly where the problem came from and spayed/neutered everything from that part of her breeding program so that there were no more problems. I know many healthy mixes and just as many healthy purebreds. You don't need to be worrying about "hybrid vigor" you need to just find a reputable breeder who has a goal and is breeding for a reason other than to make profit.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) THanks Zach and Vicki. I love both of these breeds. I am glad to now have a SHORT list.:dance4:How about a Labrador Vicki?:D

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
I would say that you might want to consider staying away from birding breeds since you have the choice right now ;)
My exact thought!
I have a rott 160# , mastiff lab mix 175 to 180#& a affinpincher15#.
Had the dogs before I decided to get birds. The rotty just wathces the bird go by . Heck one time Kiwi Sun Conure got on the floor and walked right up on and over him he just layed there like WHAT THE HECK! :lol:Mine all know leave the BIRDS ALONE. Now the affinpincher she has her nose in their hinnies. lol! But you just never know ! I always watch the surroundings . Only takes a second. I'd get a puppy that way you can train it the way you want. :dance4:There are plenty of sites that tell the temperment ect. Good Luck!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is really not the case. Breeding two breeds together does NOT guarantee healthier dogs. Many reputable breeders have been breeding purebred dogs, responsibly and carefully for many years and producing healthy, long lived dogs with sound temperaments and free of genetic diseases. That is simply the excuse being used to purposely mix dogs. The people creating mixed breed dogs are NOT breeding for health, trust me, they are breeding to make money. I work with many, many, many dogs and I know very few breeders or people who got their dogs from breeders of mixed breeds who have any interest in those puppies after they are gone. There is no health guarantee whatsoever. The dogs are bred, sold and in their mind, no longer their responsibility. Don't get me wrong, their are purebred breeders that way too, backyard breeders that couldn't care less what they are producing, but responsible breeders DO care and take it very seriously. Think about it like this, if someone is breeding mixed breed dogs on purpose what is their goal? What is their standard that they are breeding to? Why are they doing it? When a reputable breeder is breeding a purebred dog, we have a written standard that we are striving to breed to. We have a goal. We are working towards the correct temperament, structure all in the package of a healthy dog that will live a long life. We move forward and show our best dogs which in my case, live just like pets in my home but get shown and possibly bred, the ones that don't get shown go into homes to be someones companion. I choose the homes carefully, mentor the new owners, and agree (and require) to take my puppies back FOR LIFE. That means that if ever someone can't keep a puppy I produce, it comes back to us. There is just a lot of responsibility and in my experience, most people purposely breeding mixes are doing it because it has become the new thing. It's now cool to pay a bunch of money for a mixed breed, even though you can adopt one in need of a home at a shelter or through a rescue program for 1/10 the price. It just doesn't and won't ever make sense to me. Honestly, I would absolutely NOT recommend this mix for a first time dog owner. JMO

Absolutely agree 1000% A mutt is a mutt is a mutt, no matter what fancy name you give it. I LOVE mutts, but will NOT pay top dollar for one. I will however adopt one at the drop of a hat from the pound :)
I have Akitas now (both rehomes), but my next dog will be a mutt :heart:

BTW my Akitas do wonderfully with the birds and the cats, but it took work and knowing my animals to get there.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I think what they're talking about with mixed breeds being "healthier" is probably this:
When you look at your purebred dogs, they have known problems that can come up. For example - my papillon - his breed is known to have these problems: luxating patellas, some eye problems, sometimes a soft spot on the skull, and some rare lines can have temperament issues. Sooo - if you're not being careful and watching which dogs you're breeding together, it's pretty likely you'll have two dogs that have the same problems in their genes and will likely produce offspring with said problems. On the other hand, if you're careful and breeding out these problems, you know your lines, your dogs, and you're not using dogs with those problems, you're breeding responsibly and the problems shouldn't creep up.
Sooo, on the other side of things - for people that aren't paying attention, possibilities are good that they'll breed purebred dogs with these known breed problems because they're not paying attention. When these same people breed two different breeds together, it's doing some of the work for them, in that they will be much more likely that they won't see these health problems right away since the second breed probably won't have the same known health problems as the first that you're mixing... Did I make that clear as mud? :huh:
Now take the mixed offspring of the two dogs - once they start breeding with others of their kind, you'll be sure to see health issues start popping up. Just give it a little while with these "designer dogs," the issues are there, we're just waiting for people to start seeing them and talking about them, and associating them with said "designer breed."

Last edited:

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Yep.. Next dog I get is going to be a mutt! My mastiff lab mix has health issues with kidney she is on a dog food that costs 70 bucks a bag in order to keep her alive. My rott has cancer.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Yep.. Next dog I get is going to be a mutt! My mastiff lab mix has health issues with kidney she is on a dog food that costs 70 bucks a bag in order to keep her alive. My rott has cancer.
Don't forget that mutts are not immune to health problems, you just cannot predict what they may be! :hug8:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
You're right there! Ah I still love em' the same health issues or not!
:highfive: and I'm glad, there are definitely a lot out there that will still need great homes :hug8: Some of the best dogs I've had were mutts. Although, the worst tempered dog we ever had growing up was also a mutt, and a biter, chased kids and animals for the kill. She was a lab mix that we worked hard to keep safe, nice to us (her family), but aggressive to everyone else :(

redneckdiva

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monica Moore
Any breed will work with your birds. I have rescue dogs in and out of my house all the time. I work with rescue groups from Animal Control to AKC breed clubs. I have had unruley Great Danes to teeny tiny toy poodles. All learn to live with the birds. Now fo rhealth problems. Don't even get me started there. I have worked in the Animal fields since i was 13 yrs old. From Vet offices to owning my own grooming shop. I have seen it all. I bred and showed Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Akitas until my daughter got sick with Cancer. You can get good healthy dogs through rescue and through reputable breeders. Research your breed find the health problems and question that breeder and ask for proof. There are test for everything out there. There are breeder who hide health problems and are some of the biggest people in the dog show world. As far as the mixes The golden and lab mixes with the poodle tho it makes a cute dog . it didn't work. double up on lots of health problems and well as not all got the non shed factor. Groom a Golden doodle right now that sheds as much as my golden. Depends on you and your personality. Educate youself. As far as the bird my Jose trained the dogs himself. one nose to close to his cage and well they found out he can hurt. He walks among my herd! he will sit on them they never make a move but would never leave the unattended. Rhodesian Ridgebacks have a high prey drive and well he would not last two minutes. The Golden and the poodles (BTW are the original water retrievers ) give him great respect! Even if all the parents have A-1 health ratings this does not mean your dog will be perfect. Had a Akita with both parents having hips xrayed OFA Excellant still he had hip dysplasia ! Good Luck you will find the right dog when you see it! Nothing better then a house full of Fur Babies!!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have owned 2 Shetland Sheedogs (Sheltie) and the first one lived 2 months shy of turning 8 yrs old. Mulitiple organ failure (kidney/liver) more so cancer. He is from a breeder/AKC Judge who was a dog with lineage that was incredible on his pedigree he was a decendent from one of the all time champion producing sire (159) total. He was also line bred, Grand Father was both on Mother and Father's sides.

My second Sheltie also from her has a completely different lineage and is going to be 10 yrs old in August. No health issues aside from a few growths and one that needs to be removed soon. Moreso a wart under his chin that is getting sizeable and the Vet said we'll take it off in March when he's due for his dental.

My other two dogs? Mutts, Heinz 57's one is a border mix, the other Shep/Collie mix. One came home heartworm positive advanced I might add. We treated and she's good to go almost 3 yrs later.

I love purebreds esp Shelties, I thought I'd always have one in my life. But after getting my mutts, aside from rescuing there is no other dog for me. I've had my purebreds but there is something special about mutts who have been saved. They know it, they are thankful and no matter what age they are, they bond to you.

That's my take on it, mutts rock and shelter dogs needs homes more than any breeder puppy.

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
I have chihuahuas, and they would not dare come near my birds. Most my birds are bigger than they are! In fact, my B&G chases them....which he gets in trouble for, of course.

They are very well behaved, but they were raised around birds from day one.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I have 4 dogs and they get along great. But my golden is my buddy, we go hiking together and walking. He is with me 24/7 always sitting at my feet:) He is the most loving dog Magni is his name:hug8:He also let the birds lay on him and go for rides around the house, but I always keep an eye out

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Absolutely agree 1000% A mutt is a mutt is a mutt, no matter what fancy name you give it. I LOVE mutts, but will NOT pay top dollar for one. I will however adopt one at the drop of a hat from the pound :)
I have Akitas now (both rehomes), but my next dog will be a mutt :heart:

BTW my Akitas do wonderfully with the birds and the cats, but it took work and knowing my animals to get there.
Right! I wanted to say by the way, that I love ALL dogs!! I have one mixed breed now (Basset/Eskie) that came from the Basset rescue I work with. I am not saying that purebreds are "better", just that if someone is going to pay a lot of money for a dog, it should be for one that someone put a lot of love, effort, time and care producing!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
:) THanks Zach and Vicki. I love both of these breeds. I am glad to now have a SHORT list.:dance4:How about a Labrador Vicki?:D
Labs are nice, but they can be VERY high energy. A "field" Labrador, meaning that it was bred more for hunting will typically be MUCH higher energy and I mean VERY high energy and very busy. Difficult to live with unless you have a ton of time to devote to exercising it mentally and physically. A Labrador that is bred more for show or companion will typically be more laid back:) In my current puppy class I have FOUR Lab puppies!!!! Those yellow lab puppies man, I want to kidnap them!!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
That's my take on it, mutts rock and shelter dogs needs homes more than any breeder puppy.
Yes, shelter dogs and mixed breeds are great, so are purebreds. And, I'm sorry but a purebred puppy from a breeder deserves a great home and needs a great home just like shelter dogs and mixed breeds.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, shelter dogs and mixed breeds are great, so are purebreds. And, I'm sorry but a purebred puppy from a breeder deserves a great home and needs a great home just like shelter dogs and mixed breeds.
Many, many purebreds end up at the pound too. Every shelter site I have been on have purebreds all the time. It's a sad thing that purebred or not, in the end they end up unwanted and end up being euthanized even if they aren't mutts.

Mutts esp black dogs are less likely to be adopted. I know, both of my Girls are black, and my next rescue mutt will also be black. They are like ghosts, people go for the purebreds, the puppies and the blondes it's a statistic.

I agree that purebreds deserve good homes, and many don't when they end up at the pound. Now we can talk about 'backyard breeders' or breeders who show, and breed for bettering the breed.

I am against people who breed for profit, no reason to add to the pet population. I have no problem with a breeder where mine are from, they are bred for show mostly, but many end up pets due to outgrowing their size standard for show.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Toby- is a Bichon mutt of some sort. He's the perfect bird-friendly dog. He enjoys spending time in the bird room. He's mild mannered. Lazy. Doesn't chase things. Doesn't startle easily. He's fluffy and requires grooming, but at least he doesn't shed.

My doggie "match" is the Boston Terrier. I love my Wilbur and my Boston/English Bulldog mix. There are several Bostons on the board and there's just something about their personalities that makes them irresistible. Wilbur is sweet, sensitive, lazy indoors, has his playful bursts, looooves to cuddle and sleep under blankets. Loves to sunbathe. Loves to eat. He's very food motivated and EXREMELY smart....

Dogs that I'm considering in the future are a Brussels Griffon and a Affenpinscher- have I mentioned I'm a fan of smooshy faced dogs?!

Last edited:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Dogs that I'm considering in the future are a Brussels Griffon and a Affenpinscher- have I mentioned on a fan of smooshy faced dogs?!
Oh my... :swoon: I just loooove affenpinschers, their little monkey faces :faint: