• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boba updates

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam

Here's what I mean about his toe nail obsession.

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
He might be just trimming his nails. If he doesn't come out much and doesn't get to climb/grip on things that would help trim the nails, he has to do it with the beak. Notice how he was scratching himself and then does the nails. He probably felt they were too sharp when scratching and then was trying to fix that.
You can offer him a cement filling perch somewhere, but not put it where he spends majority of his time. They are not good to stand on all the time. They have some that are smooth on the top, where the bottom of the foot sits, but rough on the sides where the nails rub. Also, get the one that is cement all the way through, not coated with something that can rub off, or those sand paper covers.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for the information. I thought it had something to do with mantainance. He has a pedi perch, but he hated it and only ever screamed at it or pooped on it. I'll try to reintroduce him to it over the next few days.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

Here's what I mean about his toe nail obsession.
My little guy was obsessing about his nails a couple of weeks ago too (though not quite as much as Boba is in the video) Since he doesn't use his pedicure perches I took him to the vet for a nail trim and he doesn't do it anymore.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I was just going to say.......can you just have a technician visit and have his nails trimmed?

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Both my small dogs do the exact same thing just before a grooming appointment.......my little girl even sounds just like Bobo biting his nails.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I'm calling this update; puberty, hormones and molting.
Boba is going through all three right now, poor little guy. He's been, what I suspected and now know is, displaying for me. I've been doing what I can to discourage the behavior, which is ignore it. He has been loosing more feathers the past few days. I watch him closely to make sure he isn't plucking and I'm pretty sure he's just molting. He is 5 1/2 months old now and I can tell that he's gotten slightly bigger and is much more active.

As far as his toes go, I'm going to bring him in to the local Avet for a trim. I've been slowly reintroducing his pedi perch the last couple of days. (The nice pumice one.)

Training has been slow going as he still won't take treats from my hands. He even checks to see if he can spot my hands before making an attempt to take a bite of a long spray of millet. Of course he does and he backs away until he can't see them any more, but he does seem like he's coming around, slowly. If my hands are away from the cage he will come right up and take the treat off the stand (I tie a small one on his outside perch as a reward for being brave after each session. He seems fine with me except for my hands, he even reached out and gives me kisses on the cheek, nose and lips, it's very endearing.

Thanks for reading and all the support and advice.
Sam and Boba

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sometimes, ignoring a behavior isn't the best thing to do. In your situation, it's a little tricky, but it would definitely help to try and distract the undesired behavior and reward a more desired behavior.

Overall though, sounds like you and Boba are doing good! :)

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Boba has been getting much better at talking the past couple of weeks. When he is using his inside voice (quieter voice) you can really understand him. He has even started picking up some new phrases, like "How are you?" And "Bobas cute." He still loves to say "pew-pew", "treat" and "pretty bird" but is also saying "silly bird", "good boy" and "whatcha doin?" A lot more. He calls me daddy clearly now and uses it to get my attention. He almost takes food from my hands from out side of the cage, but as soon as he sees my hand he goes back to the top of his comfy perch, or sometimes he will go to his sleep perch and get quiet for a while after.
I'm trying to get him out more by placing his stand further from the door so he has to come most of the way out for treats, it's working slowly. He will step onto my arm or shoulder when he feels cuddly, which is, unfortunately, becoming less frequent. I'm not sure why, but I think it has to do with hormones and molting. I'm trying to go at his pace, as always, but it's difficult at times. If I feel like I'm getting frustrated I step back and just talk to him after giving him a reward (tied to his stand) for being a brave bird. He still hates his pedi perch, and screams at it when he sees it.
Lately he will come to his lower left perch and talk to me while he holds into the bars with his little toes with one foot and will "beak" the bars. He has also been climbing the bars a lot more. I've been trying to do more target training, but he is terrified of the stick(s) that I've tried using. Poor little guy, he seems scared of everything but my head, shoulders and arm. Occasionally he will ask for a scritch when he does sit on my shoulder or arm, and although he's still timid of my hands, he's better with them out side of his cage though. I'm not sure why that is, but I'm not complaining when he wants scritches.
I've been distracting him when he displays for me by asking him if he wants to get his toy, sometimes it works and he plays with his block and rope toy, other times he just keeps on showing off. I wish I could get him more comfortable with my hands or training stick so I can better divert his attention.
Thanks for reading,
Sam and Boba

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I finally got Bobas pedi perch in his cage with out him throwing a fit. He hasn't tried to hop on to it yet, but he has checked it out a couple of times.
I've also found a huge cage for him at a great price. The cage is three feet wide, two feet deep and at least five feet tall.
His molt is in full swing. I can see pinnies coming in all over and he's shed quite a few feathers. I can't wait until his flight feathers come in and he can fly again. I really think it will help him feel more comfortable and confident. Hopefully he will come out more too.
Thanks for reading,
Sam and Boba

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:starshower:Happy six month Hatch Day little Boda!:starshower1:

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Boba has a flight feathers coming in on his left wing! It's the only one so far, but I'm excited to see it. Even though it freaked me out at first when he flapped his wings excitedly and I saw asymmetrical feathers. I thought he had hurt his wing, then I noticed that he wasn't missing fearthers, but rather gaining them.
He has been much better with my hands and even comes out when no treats are being offered the last couple of days. He is very close to stepping up on to my finger now and hardly even budges when I open or close his door.
Thanks for reading,
-Sam and Boba

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wonderful update! I'm so glad all your patience is finally starting to pay off!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's so exciting when their flight feathers start coming in! :fairy:

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks! I'm very happy that he is starting to come around. I really don't want him to end up cage bound. He is having some balance issues though. He only has the one on one side and it seems to be affecting him quite a bit. I put more perches in his cage to make it easier for him to get around, it seems to be a welcome change.