• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boba updates

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
He such sweetheart, been great catching up on your life together ❤

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
The last couple of days have been hectic, between the storms and some house hold drama I didn't get to spend as much time with Boba as I'd like, but he seems to not mind as long as I don't spend more than a couple of hours out of his earshot.
He started playing with his toys when I'm gone, I can hear the bells chime and he even plays with his foot toys on the bottom of his cage now. I think he has named me because whenever I'm not paying enough attention to him he uses the same call as when he first sees me in the morning, or when I come in the bird room. He is increasingly more vocal and inquisitive as the days pass, and is far less skittish when I approach his cage. He still doesn't like the doors opening, but he calms down quickly and is now ok with my hand being in the cage while holding things, like millet and toys. He still won't take millet from me, but he doesn't run and hide in the corner anymore. We have continued reading the bounty Hunter code and should be done with it tonight. The next selection will be the dark tower series, that should keep us going for a couple of months.

As far as his eating habits go he's been much better about trying new things. Yesterday we shared an Apple, he loved it. It was a nice bonding experience and seems to have helped him to trust me more.

Thanks a lot for all the kind words! Be well everyone! :)
Sam and Boba

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He sounds like such a doll. I am glad things are working out for you.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Update:
Boba likes his new toy and has found all the little pieces of millet I hid in it. I moved the other two hanging toys and he seems more interested in them now that he knows they contain treats and other food. I also moved his ladder to make it easier for him to get up to his perches. ( I wish the vision cages had a perch or two on the clear plastic part.) He has been very vocal the past two days, and loves to compete, or sing along with me when I read or play guitar. He also calls if I'm out of his sight, I answer back with "I'm here, Boba." And he calms down. I feel like he's accepted me as part of his flock now.
He got his first shower today with some aloe in it to help sooth his pinnies he wont let me get. He didn't seem to mind the mist (I spritzed twice a couple feet above the cage.) It seems to have helped aliviate some of the itch from his pinnies, although he doesn't fully understand the concept yet. I'm sure it will take time for him to get used to it.
I tried giving him some cooked egg (hard boiled) from my plate last night, but he wasn't interested. He still seems like he doesn't like the pellets much, although I do see him eat a few once his favorite seeds are gone. I've been doing more research on how to help him switch in the meantime. Ive also discovered that sunflower seeds are by far his favorite, so ive been putting less in his dish and have started offering them as treats mostly. He still wont eat out of my hand, but he gets closer to it now. Unless I give him some apple, then he'll nibble on it, but only when my hand is outside the cage. I tried offering seeds outside the cage and he won't take them from my fingers.

I have no idea how he did it, but I found his leg band on the bottom of his cage, pried open. I checked for injuries and there are none and he's acting normal. On the plus side I now know his hatch date, October 16, 2016.

Thanks for reading and all the likes and comments. Be well!
Sam and boba

Attachments

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Yesterday was two weeks since Boba came home, wow time flies. Not much has changed in the past couple of days with two exceptions. The first is today was cage cleaning day, he did quite well when I removed the cage from the base. He just hung into the bar above his perch with his beak until I set it down on news paper. I cleaned the base and bottom bars then put him back. He didn't make a fuss or act scared at all. Good boy Boba!
The second is he has been seeking attention after bedtime, by climbing to the back of the cage in the top right corner. I've been ignoring the behavior and have not giving in to his bed time protests. Other than that he's been very good and seems happy and healthy. We are going to start reading the gunslinger series later today.

He still hasn't come out of his cage since he landed on my knee a few days ago, although I give him the option. He lets my hands nearer to him now, but will not step up or eat from my hand in the cage yet. I'm going to keep going at his pace and hopefully he will come around.
I almost forgot, he loves the mighty mighty bosstones, especially the song the impression that I get.

Thanks everyone, be well!
Sam and Boba

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Ok, so this is not really an update on Boba himself, more on his care and health.
I found an avian vet much closer than the one I was going to go to. He is about an hour and a half closer and in the same state as me, which is nice and will allow for much faster care if need be. (Hopefully we don't have any emergencies, but it's good to have a plan.) I'm going to set up a simple check up for Boba next week. I don't have any concerns at this time, but I would like to get him checked out and establish a relationship with the vet. It will also let me know if there is anything I might be missing or misunderstanding regarding his health.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sam and Boba

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Boba is going to the vet Saturday. It's all booked and there's no going back now. Boy is he gonna be mad at me! Lol.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad you found a vet that's closer! I would start get him used to looking at, playing in, or going on his carrier now. While he is in the car I would cover part of the carrier so he feels more secure. My tiels always like to look out the window, but since Boda is knew, you don't know yet what he prefers. Write down any questions you may have beforehand, and I hope all goes well at the vets!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks, I just brought in his carrier after reading your reply. I put it as far from him as I can, but still in view. I'll move it closer each day until he is used to it. Although he hasn't wanted to come out in a while. I had his door open most of the day, as I usually do, but he won't go past the door it's self. He just sits there and looks at the millet I set on his "landing pad" which is the top drawer of his stand that I flipped upside down. He let me give him a quick scritch around a couple pinnies. He won't step up when he's there or actually in his cage yet though. He does step up when he decides come out though, which is only three times now.
Thanks!
Sam and Boba

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Update on Boba.
I think Boba caught a cold. :( he is breathing a little heavy and his tail is bobbing a little .It's a good thing he's going to the vet tomorrow. I called them to try to advance the appointment but they are booked solid until Bobas appointment. I called a number of other Vets to try to get immediate care, but can't find an office that can take him before Saturday. (There are not a lot of avian Vets around me.) I hope he's going to be ok. I noticed the change in his breathing when I got home from work.
Boba still remains active and is playing with his toys a lot more now. He sings to me if it's too quiet, I'm playing guitar, or reading to him. I still can't get him out of the cage, but I think that's a symptom of his current ailment. He continues to surprise me every day and I feel like our bond is growing steadily, but a little slower than before. He's fine with me outside the cage, but when I put my hand in he still backs away. I'm trying to break him of this habit by talking to him gently as I very slowly put my hand further into the cage until he looks close to becoming uncomfortable. I usually offer millet when I do this, sometimes it's a sunflower seed, which he goes crazy for when I offer them outside his cage. He hasn't tried to bite me, nor has he postured, but he does back away and watch me still.
He started talking today! He can say hi, Boba, pew pew, and tries to say silly bird. We talked for about an hour and only says his name after I say it, or when I ask him: "What's your name?" He says hi when I come in the room sometime now too. I can believe he's talking so much. The clearest words are pew pew and Boba, but they are still a bit tweety for lack of a better term.

Thanks for the read. I hope tomorrow goes well.
Sam and Boba

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Boda is okay, and that all goes well at the vets tomorrow! Very cute that he's talking!

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Poor Boba, I hope all is well.

Sounds like you two are really coming to terms with each other and he sounds like a wonderful, clever bird. I prefer to avoid my birds when I'm handling anything in their cage (in fact, its best if they're out of their cages when I'm changing food/water or cleaning or whatnot). My thinking behind it was that they would consider this their safe zone from any demands and could go there if they ever wanted to get away. Does Boba have any perches to rest on outside of his cage as well? I like to put rope perches on the exterior of my cages near the doors. It makes it easier for the birds to be near their safe zones (and have access to their food and water) and allows them to confortably come and go much more easily than climbing on the bars and balancing on the threshold. It might entice him to come out if he knows that he can easily get back.

Good luck at the vets (Boba might be a bit stressed afterwards but lovebirds can be surprisingly forgiving) :)

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
He has a ladder I hook to the cage and it's a vision cage so I swing the doors in, which doesn't seem to bother him, and it makes a nice landing pad. There is an upside down drawer right below the door that the ladder rests on. I ordered 3 more rope perches, and a couple others, they should be here after the weekend.
I wish he would come out more, it would make changing his water and toys much easier.
Thanks ,
Sam and Boba

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
We made it to the vets, Boba did great on the ride here, which took about 50 minutes. The avet said he has a slight rasp in his left side and is putting him on anti biotics. He also suggested upping the ambient temperature to around 80 (from 70) while he's recovering. He also said that he seems to be very active and happy for a sick bird. Boba showed off a little for him saying "hi!".
Thanks for the read.
Sam and Boba

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Aww, I hope the meds help and Boba feels better soon! Good that you made that appointment! You are a great parront!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Awe, thanks! I'm glad to hear it. :) he is on oral meds for 21 days, which i have to towel him for. He wouldn't. Bite the syringe until I asked him to target, which the vet was amazed by. Here are a couple of pictures from the visit. He doesn't look to happy in that Tupperware. Lol Oh, he also refused to go in his carrier, so the whole cage went.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad the vet visit went so well! Boda is such a good little bird, and you really are a wonderful caregiver to him. I hope the antibiotics get rid of the infection quickly! How's the toweling going?

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks so much! He didn't like the vet doing it, but then again, he doesn't let other people touch him usually. It's a once daily at noon treatment, so we'll see how he does with me tomorrow with it. I think I can get him to just target it though, so the town may not be necessary. He held still after I asked him to target, and was surprisingly calm when taking the meds. I'll know more tomorrow.
Thanks for the kind words,
Sam and Boba