• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boba updates

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Well, he wouldn't target the syringe, so I had to catch him with a towel. He is supremely ticked off at me right now. I expected as much. I'm going to give him treats and some alone time.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
That's too bad, it might be an interesting 20 days for medication but you're his person and he'll forgive you - after some serious complaining, of course :D. You're taking great care of the adorable little fluff.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks a lot for the encouragement, I just want him to be happy and healthy. :)
He calmed down and was talking all afternoon and early evening yesterday. Today went much better, he ran a little from the towel but quickly gave up. He took his meds easily and didn't yell at me, as much.
His poosture looks much better and his breathing is more consistent. He is more engaged and even talked to my friend yesterday and hopped around the cage happily. I play bird sounds for him on YouTube and he will chirp and sing back. Occasionally he will say silly bird, no, and Boba to the recordings when he gets excited. He does this funny little rapid head shake sometimes, I'm not sure what it means, but he seems happy.
Thanks for reading. I hope everyone is well!
Sam and boba

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Yesterday went really well with Bobas meds. He even got a half hour outside his cage. I gave him his treats on the floor instead of in his cage in an effort to make his outside the cage time more rewarding and to build his trust in me. It seemed to help as he didn't yell at me at all after.
Last night was game night so all of his human friends and grandma came over. He watched us play and tweeted and talked. He really likes my friend Erica and kept saying silly bird and spinning around on his perch trying to get her attention.
His new perches should be here today or tomorrow. I've been having my friends play with his "spare" toys to get him more comfortable with them and hopefully playing more with all his toys. Right now he seems to just forrage the bits of millet, fruits and veggies I hide in them, occasionally I will hear him ring his bell.

Thanks for stopping by.
Sam and Boba
P.s. if you having seen my other post titled "Boba on the red screen" you can find his first video link there. Or search " boba says hi" on YouTube

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Boba is doing well, he moved into his new room a few days ago, which is much more bird friendly. He came out of his cage a few times to explore and play. It was nice to see him running around and getting into mischief.
I've been really stressed lately, and Boba has picked up on it. Last night I was sitting on the edge of the bed with Bobas door open. He came out and climbed up on my knee, stepped up and I put him on my shoulder. He cuddled up against my neck and purred for a while, it really warmed my heart. I love that little poof ball.:hug4:
Thanks for reading, I hope you are all well.
Sam and Boba

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's really incredible how they pick up on our emotions.

Thanks for the update.

Hope the stress lets up a bit.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, what a love!:heart:He's really getting so much more comfortable. I'm glad he was able to help you feel better!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks, I was really shocked, especially given that I'm not his favorite right now... I do summon that vile yellow bird catching, medicine distributing monster, after all. Lol

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
The past few days have gone well. Bobs has decided that taking his medicine and being caught by the "big, yellow evil towel" is the best game ever. For the last three days he has escaped the towel and run to his food dish for a snack while I try to catch him with the towel. He's a funny little bird.
Language lessons have been getting longer and more fruitful. He is annunciating much better now, and talks most of the morning and afternoon. He hasn't come out much the last couple of days, I'm not sure why. He well jump on his stand and stay there for a minute or two, but that's about it.
I've been rotating pieces of a large block and rope toy with some millet stuffed into the holes. He seems to like these much more than his other toys, and has started chewing on the wood blocks to get the seeds in the deeper holes.

Thanks for the read, I hope you are all well!
Sam and Boba

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Do you put those toys outside his cage on his playstand? Maybe that will help him stay out longer.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He may be staying in because he's weary of the towel but he sounds like he is doing quite well!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I hide the towel and the only time he sees it is when it's time to take medicine, around noon usually. I hang toys and treats on his stand, he just doesn't seem comfortable with the stand yet, I've only had it for 5 days now. Thanks for the feed back.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad to hear Boba is settling in nicely. Sorry about having to medicate him.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I'm glad he is doing well. I can totally understand the medicine issues as I am going through them right now with Gracie. She makes me chase her around the house if she is already out and it is time for her medicine. Just offer treats and apple once he gets his feathers back in place. Gracie gets her treats once she is done looking at me like she is going to kick my butt and and she is okay with the world.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I'm sorry to hear that you and Gracie are also having problems. I'm glad she is forgiving though. :)

The last few days it has snowed about three feet, so needless to say Boba and I havn't had the same amount of quality time we usually enjoy. He has been taking his medicine easier, but he seems to have taken a step back as far as trusting me. I think he might be mad that I havn't been around as much as he's used to. He won't eat from my hand anymore, and is generally less trusting of my hands. He still talks in his own way, a lot, more so the last few days.
Any advice would be great, I just Don't know what to do from here. Should I stay the course or are there some tricks I can use to get him out more? When he's out he is very affectionate, but getting him out has been harder and harder. I have treats and a perch with toys on it as well as other toys he liked around.

Thanks,
Sam and Boba

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe try target training? First while in his cage, and then maybe you can get him to target out on the perch by his cage. You will have to get him used to the target stick first. I used to use a chopstick.

I can't remember, have you tried luring him with spray of millet onto your arm?

Make sure he's not full when you try to get him to come out on his perch, lure him onto your arm, or begin target training. He will be more motivated if he's a tad hungry.

The time of day might matter also. My birds are much more active and willing to train before noon.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks, I'll try to work more with his target training. I also use a chopstick, and a clicker as well. He will move to where I point when I ask him if it's ok to put in or take something out of his cage. He will hop to a perch near to where I point. I try to do training before I put his fresh food in his cage in the morning. I wait about twenty minutes before training after I remove the food.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That's right, I remember now, you were doing clicker and target training. I guess just keep working with him and being patient. @Monica any ideas?