• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ATTENTION Amazon lovers and enthuists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
IA that zons are not for a meek person. I have only a study of one, but he sure isn't for somebody easily intimidated. He may be a stubborn bird, but DH and I are more stubborn than he is, and that's how we have persevered with that brat. Wasabi's moods are quite changeable, as are mine. When we're mad, don't even try. Just stay out of the way. OMG, I'm an Amazon without feathers. :lol:
I can say that!!!

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Well. Yellow nape is not the nominate species. Yellow crown is the nominate species for double yellows and yellow napes. Yellow napes are the sub species which ilwas why I asked what generation. Giving he was a wild caught makes sence. Most 1st gens and wild caught gens have yellow on the crown. Yellow-crowned Amazonhttp:/www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2011/03/27/the-yellow-crowned-parrot/ this link is extreamlly useful putting nominates at top followed by subs. I follow this at the rescue Amazonit
Only in some scientific circles. :) That being said, all the yellow-naped traited amazons (auropalliata (regarded, if you will, as the nominate Naped Amazon), parvipes, caribae and belizensis) are separate sub-species and are unique. Even if a sub-species it really doesnt matter what 'generation removed from the wild' as, being a sub-species and if bred with their own sub-species, they will breed the true traits of that sub-species. A parvipes is a parvipes is a parvipes, if you know what I mean. I like the Rosemary Low book on Amazons, there's lots of useful information there :)

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen

I don't know amos' generation but he and Pepper were purchased from the same breeder a week apart and both have yellow on their crowns as gryphons

I've seen some young yellow Naped who had no yellow in either crown or nape. I thought they developed the yellow as they matured?
Amos is 21 Gryphon is 33+ years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The yellowing in the crown of A.o.parvipes is evident, and normally at it's full extent, after the birds first adult moult. The nape however can take up to 10 years (or longer!) to fully develop as the bird matures, and it's no uncommon for there to be no yellow for the first couple of years. Here is a picture of Danny, nearly 6, and his father who is approx 12.

Attachments

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Alot of times you find the People who migrate to the big, white, fluffy Too's are soft People. Women mostly, seem drawn to the awesome large Too's. Those often are people who end up too deep into what they have gotten themselves in to. It's okay to not be a wiseguy persona, or a person who is animated and jovial. I honestly couldn't imagine a Too bite let alone a Macaw bite and I can honestly say that they would never be a bird for me and they seem to scare me. An Amazon bite? Well they can hurt but they aren't anything I'd cry home to Mom about. :D

When People talk about the Amazons and how scary they are I just shrug it off they are one of the easier types of parrots. Not demanding and ones who can often keep themselves busy. When they want to snuggle they are just like little lap dogs but they are not a needy type of bird.

That is why our world of birds is so amazing, there is a size, color, personality out there for everyone. ;)

Started with a CAG then went to a severe macaw... Great training for what was ahead. I have taken in and work with aggressive biting macaws. And here I was afraid of a little ole amazon!! The tooz I enjoy are not the big fluffy ones but the smaller independent types such as lsc and Rosie's. Now the goffin is a whole other story! LOL

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I am loving this thread! At one point in time, based solely on their reputation and photos, I would have said Amazons were the LAST bird in the world for me. Until, of course, I met several in person and felt that BAM! gut-level connection from all the way across the room. I have no doubt at all that someday I will be sharing my life with one. :heart:

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Thanks for the info Steve
I tried to do some research on the subspecies to see why my two boys have different colored feet and eye shapes but wasn't able to really determine anything

Danny and his daddy are gorgeous!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sooooo if I have the personality traits of an amazon does that make me a Mexican Redhead even though I am not Mexican? I am a redhead lol

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You know come to think of it.......I think I also have personality of an amazon.:D

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Well I have some Amazon traits......good speaking/singing ability, high intelligence level,head strong and determined, sense of humor, and very social and cuddly on my terms
I'm a red head also would I be a red lored?

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Well wild caugt regardless is the beginning of a captive generation. And yes they develop into there yellow napes as they mature. It's an unproven Theroy. But the science is studied so deeply behind it I trust it. I love seein wild caught birds so happy. That's really the only reason I asked. He's so beautiful. I'm happy youv found such a wonderful pet
Thanks Ryan
My main goal with Gryphon is to allow him to be healthy eat a good diet destroy all the toys he wants and to never allow him to be manhandled again in his lifetime
That terrified/stressed look in his eyes is slowly fading away

Attachments

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Absolutely beautiful!!!I acually sent an email to Howard Voren on the sub species article he wrote. I love his belives and studies (where I read about 1st and 2nd generation zons)See what he has to say about te diffrent color feet. all the pictures are simply magnificent!!! Thanks to all!

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Absolutely beautiful!!!I acually sent an email to Howard Voren on the sub species article he wrote. I love his belives and studies (where I read about 1st and 2nd generation zons)See what he has to say about te diffrent color feet. all the pictures are simply magnificent!!! Thanks to all!
Is he the one that breeds the blue phase YN's? I think those are beautiful but I'd never be able to afford one :(
Please let me know what his response is about the foot color differences

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Hes not just the breeder. He the prefecter lol. He also owns rights to the 2 newest mutations. The chocolate raspberry blue front "red" mutation. And buttercream amazon "lutino red lored"As for the blue yellow napes. There bubblegums. Lol. There is a pair in my area for 13000. I wish I had that kinda cash lol. I'd swoop em in a heart beat.And yea I'll let you know asa he replies to my message.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Howard Voren's aviary wasn't far from where I lived down in South FL, he's west of West Palm Beach in the acreage. I once emailed him as well asking about the Blue YN mutation. His response to me was his babies go for $15,000.00 each. I was shocked and just about fell out of my chair at work. He also stated that the Blue mutations were actual wild captures the originating pair.

They are stunningly beautiful as are the Yellow Mutation Red Loreds. The Chocolate Raspberry I believe was a blue front mutation.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When Wasabi stole my heart :heart: with one single look when he was at the animal shelter, I had noooooo idea that we were boarding the Amazon roller coaster. Just as well. It's not been trial by fire, but by bites and screams, with a few lunges for good measure.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
@howard vorens subject. Yea they were an original wild caught specimen. But Howard didn find em. He bought one and waited for another unrelated. Took time but now he's a huge blue breeder. Prices have dropped through newer poorer breeders. And chocolate Ras's are blue fronts.

As for the previous post. Congrats to your addition.
Arnt zons just so wonderful and amazing to have around.
I would take in another from our shelter. Well I plan too. Just waiting for the right little guy to cling to me. I love em all. Just can't take em all haha

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
How in the WORLD did I miss THIS thread?!! This is an awesome thread!!:dance4: Beautiful amazons everyone!

Here is Sammy- a 18ish year old LCA.. :) I got Sammy from a person from another parrot forum that posted an ad from their local vet's office (they were in the same town as I live in), so anyways, I talked to my parents, my dad helped me with a email to the foster parent, a few days went by, I got a response about her and the foster parent said she was still available and I could have her (as in for free) because she was aggressive and mean. The foster parent as well as the ad said Red Lored amazon, but when I went to pick Sammy up, I realized she was a LCA. She was in a small cage (tiel/conure sized cage, maybe 3x2x2) so anyways, she was on the back porch in the cage in the middle of August (the 18th of this month is when I got her). The foster parent said that Sammy was given up because the owners were moving and couldn't take her with them and also because Sammy had bitten them 3 years previously and they hadn't handled her since then:( Not sure if that's true but I believe that it is because Sammy doesn't like men that much and she is scared of things raised above her head. I got her in 2006, so it's been a long time but it seems like it was just yesterday. When I went to pick Sammy up, I was just going by the info the foster parent gave me. I knew that I was going to take Sammy home no matter what she looked like, etc, I had that "gut" feeling that I had to save her and get her out of there, I saw that special connection in her eyes as soon as I first saw her, and she's been my heart bird ever since. <3

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.