• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ATTENTION Amazon lovers and enthuists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
I don't know amos' generation but he and Pepper were purchased from the same breeder a week apart and both have yellow on their crowns as gryphonsI've seen some young yellow Naped who had no yellow in either crown or nape. I thought they developed the yellow as they matured?Amos is 21 Gryphon is 33+ years oldSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well wild caugt regardless is the beginning of a captive generation. And yes they develop into there yellow napes as they mature. It's an unproven Theroy. But the science is studied so deeply behind it I trust it. I love seein wild caught birds so happy. That's really the only reason I asked. He's so beautiful. I'm happy youv found such a wonderful pet

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's my little green Lucifer. (See third photo) There are times that he'd make the Devil beg for mercy, then there are other times when he'll start in on his sweet little hellos after a screamfest. He has about a dozen different hellos. I can't stay fed up when he does that. I just can't.

Last edited:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Awwww, I just love Wasabi

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
That 3rd pic is truly :devil:. I recognize & fear it. :scared5:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
That's the main problem with Amazons. The whole family is stigmatized because of a small number of species, and likely mostly the males of those few species requiring some additional experience and handling, but are not acquired by experienced handlers. That, unfortunately, taints over 100 different types of parrots and pigeon-holes a huge family to being 'off-limits' by many prospective parrot owners. I don't know how many times I heard negative opinions about Amazons even from long time owners of macaws and cockatoos who don't own 'easy' birds themselves. If we question all the Cuban, LCA, Mealy, Panama, RLA, YSA, etc. owners out there and see their responses, I bet anything we would gain a very different perspective on this astounding family of parrots. The way things are in this world, one bad story receives 10 times the press of one good story. People also have a much longer memory for negative information than positive. We cannot help our human natures, but sound education and a wide variety of owners' experiences could begin to change that. :)
My mind has been changed. In the past I would have taken a super charged Male Moluccan too over an amazon. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! Yes, I do believe the amazons are a much easier group to deal with than many think.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Amazons are cake, you just need to be a type person that is like them. If you have a wiseguy personality, are animated, funny and can be firey at the same time you are a perfect candidate for an Amazon. I am like my Birds, and they are like me. :D

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
:omg: Everyone's Zon's are just SO STUNNING!! I :heart: them all. Here's a picture of my new rescue girl. Haven't had much opportunity to get to know her or even name her because it's only been 2 days but I am glad I was able to rescue her!!

Last edited:

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Amazons are cake, you just need to be a type person that is like them. If you have a wiseguy personality, are animated, funny and can be firey at the same time you are a perfect candidate for an Amazon. I am like my Birds, and they are like me. :D
Omg this is Completly true and tell people time to time this and they never understand. You had to be the type of person who is exactly like them. There Completly misunderstood due to how many of the, not wrong but unfit owners have adopted. One type of person fits it. And that's us haha

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Alot of times you find the People who migrate to the big, white, fluffy Too's are soft People. Women mostly, seem drawn to the awesome large Too's. Those often are people who end up too deep into what they have gotten themselves in to. It's okay to not be a wiseguy persona, or a person who is animated and jovial. I honestly couldn't imagine a Too bite let alone a Macaw bite and I can honestly say that they would never be a bird for me and they seem to scare me. An Amazon bite? Well they can hurt but they aren't anything I'd cry home to Mom about. :D

When People talk about the Amazons and how scary they are I just shrug it off they are one of the easier types of parrots. Not demanding and ones who can often keep themselves busy. When they want to snuggle they are just like little lap dogs but they are not a needy type of bird.

That is why our world of birds is so amazing, there is a size, color, personality out there for everyone. ;)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi there,

I have a 36 year old White Front Amazon named Merlin. I adopted him a couple of years ago. He is smallish, only about 220 grams or so. He can be loud, but usually only vocalizes when he is hungry. He is handicapped and has gout but still likes playing with his toys. He was a rescue and handled or cared for very well for 18 years or so before he went to the rescuer who I adopted him from. I started out fostering Merlin because I was concerned about the noise level, but ended up adopting him. I love him very much and am very happy I adopted him.

merlincelery.jpg merlinfloofy2.jpg softbalsaformerlin.jpg

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
I wholeheartedly agree since this happens to apply to me as well. A wise guy at times, with a bit of the cynical and sarcastic rolled in... perhaps a little rough around the edges, but a big heart - just like my little girl!

Edited to Add: I don't know if every bird could be kept cage free, but Coco (and I think many amazons) are excellent candidates for this. She is independent, yet cuddly when she wants to be, and she has a very defined sense of what is mine and hers. She has never once in 14 years destroyed something of mine. She only screams when she has an unmet need, and once met, the screaming ceases. And she is beyond intelligent.

Last edited:

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Robin, love the picture of Coco!!!

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Ok gotta get my boys in here, great pics and stories everyone!

Amos is a 21 year old YNA who was raised from a 1 wk old chick by the previous owner. He is a true clown and can be very cuddly. He dances and takes bows and sings in a opera voice. He doesn't talk a lot but he has a pretty clear voice depending on what he is saying.

Gryphon is approx 30+ yes old. He is a wild captured retired breeder bird. He was not aggressive when I got him but that is how he was described to me. He was actually pretty fearful and mis trusting of humans. I've had him since January 2011 he's learned to step up, will put himself to bed when asked and recently has started allowing me to pet his head.

Gryphon has a large vocabulary speaking full phrases and has the clearest voice of any parrot I've heard. I melted last week when he td me I was a good girl!

I'm so glad an amazon is what I really wanted and thankful to have these boys in my life. Neither of mine are hot headed or nasty birds and I enjoy their antics everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harley's Mom - we have those little Converse shoes at the shelter I volunteer at - aren't they just the cutest little toys? Your boys are just beautiful!

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Claire, this is so true!!! I'm a wiseguy, totally animated, at times funny and have a very fiery temper, lol. I also end up being the life of the party and never want the party to end. And like zon's, I'm sensitive and intuitive.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
All these guys need to be on my "Birdnapping" list :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Claire, this is so true!!! I'm a wiseguy, totally animated, at times funny and have a very fiery temper, lol. I also end up being the life of the party and never want the party to end. And like zon's, I'm sensitive and intuitive.
:D That is what many don't understand of this species. They are not for everyone, if you are easily intimidated, and a quieter demeanor then they surely aren't for you.

Coco's Momma- The only Amazon that could be cage free would be my Red Lored. Kazoo, my Mealy is a floor walker, and he'd end up destroying wood (painted doors and baseboards) would be my main concern. I have not committed their room to this, but I won't rule that out either. Both Amazons (males) are around each other daily but during the day they are kept separate parts of the house. This I feel is okay so they are not constantly around each other. Breaks up their time around each other and when they are back together they play. It's like they seem to have more fun time when they can finally get to see each other. I won't keep them together un-supervised unless I am home at times even though they are good buds, they too can squabble.

With sharp beaks and such I just couldn't imagine the two of them getting into it and me not being around even if they were kept together in a non caged bird room.

So that hasn't happened yet. It would be great, but they know what they know how life is for them. What they don't know they can't miss I guess.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Sammys a cage free bird. He only roosts in his cage. And that's by choise. Sometimes he decides or rather I should say attempts to sleep out on the stand. But I always put him in the cage to sleep. Other than that after shower or breakfast lunch and dinner, all I do I place him on the ground and he walks right to the room. Sometimes he'll get distracted on the entertainment center glass shelve. Like he's floating lol. But after his "trip" he goes directly to his gym and plays or sleeps. And he knows the word no. If I gets caught doing something bad and I say no. He stops lolBut he still has his moments. His little attitude. Never a real bite but I know when he does not wish to be held or played with. As friendly as he is. Somedays are just for him

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
IA that zons are not for a meek person. I have only a study of one, but he sure isn't for somebody easily intimidated. He may be a stubborn bird, but DH and I are more stubborn than he is, and that's how we have persevered with that brat. Wasabi's moods are quite changeable, as are mine. When we're mad, don't even try. Just stay out of the way. OMG, I'm an Amazon without feathers. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.