• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why did my baby budgie suddenly die?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
On Friday morning, I found one of my parakeets, Gustavo, dead at the bottom of the cage with no signs of trauma. His feet were clinging to the cage bars and his head was tilted to one side. I am having a necropsy preformed and I have scheduled a checkup for the other parakeets just in case he was sick. It’s going to take two weeks for the results and I am impatient and beyond devastated. I just want answers he wasn’t even a full year old, his nose hadn’t even turned blue yet. Does anyone know why this could have happened? I just can’t cope…

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:sad7: im so sorry...
Are these babies you bred? There are some viruses the parents can carry but not be sick with but chic and young ones who are susceptible can succumb.

It never hurts to lut Xtra heat on remaining ones and bump calories with favorites like millet.

Poops all 100% normal?

I weigh budgies by putting in a glas jar that I zero out first. Do you weigh? Can you weigh all remaining abd see if any is less than others?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
:sad7: im so sorry...
Are these babies you bred? There are some viruses the parents can carry but not be sick with but chic and young ones who are susceptible can succumb.

It never hurts to lut Xtra heat on remaining ones and bump calories with favorites like millet.

Poops all 100% normal?

I weigh budgies by putting in a glas jar that I zero out first. Do you weigh? Can you weigh all remaining abd see if any is less than others?
No, the parakeets all came from Petsmart. All poop looked normal but I have not weighed them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My guess is something genetic. Pet store budgies often aren't very hardy. I hope you get some answers from the necropsy.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
any stains above nares it will be slight easier to see in light color budgies but in colored budgies can look like slight bleaching, or rust or tan volor

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so very sorry! :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My guess would also be down to genetic factors but there are realistically so many different things that could have caused an early passing. I am sorry for your loss, I hope your other birds all check out fine. :bighug:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm just so sorry! Poor little mite!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe you should seek counseling. Most schools & employers have it.