• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why can’t my parakeet fly??

Shanybirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shanon
This yellow bird’s name is Lemon. I’ve had her for 6 months now, and when I got her she was under 8 months old. She still can’t fly at all! She can’t sort of try and flutter away a little further than she used to but it seems like her long flight feathers just won’t grow! And when they do grow, one grows on each wing then falls out. Could somebody please help me figure out why my birdie can’t fly yet?

Attachments

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
:bump4:
I hope she’ll be able to fly again

:)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like your bird was clipped prior to you getting it. If you can spread out the wing & look at the flight feathers, you should be able to see if they were cut. Feathers need to molt out so new ones grown in. Generally flight & tail feathers molt once a year. They usually molt the same feather on each wing at the same time. Then they grow in a new one. If this is not the case then a vet visit is highly suggested.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her wings look clipped, and that will keep her from truly flying until she molts the clipped feathers and grows in a new set of flight feathers.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
How often have the feathers grown out and fallen out again? Also, Lemmon is so gorgeous!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depending on when they molted vs being clipped, it can take 6 to 18 months for birds to regain flight

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
If flight feathers are growing out and then falling out it may more of an issue than the bird being clipped. Where did you get it and what did they say about the wings and clipping? How long have you had her?

I'd take her to a vet if she's losing flight feathers. That's not normal. Even if she was clipped at some point she would grow and retain her flight feathers before molting them out. The fact that she can't keep any flight feathers is worrisome.