• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which species is beat for me?

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
Very full of personality. My little guy loves to be out and has the tendency to scream if he’s not out. They sure can bite, if you don’t want a bird who can bite to the point of blood, I don’t recommend a green cheek, though they have smaller beaks than the other conures.
Just as I expected. They seem to be more feisty than let’s say a cockatiel and I know any parrot will bite hard every once in a while and nipping is what every bird does, am I right? I think I’m fine with that.
And I have a question. How do they spend most of their time out of the cage? Hanging with me? (Like a cockatiel I kept for a while for someone else) or they will attend most of it to their own business? Ofc I will get him/her enough stimulation like foraging toys, chewing toys and soft wood, foot toys and also plan to train the bird. (Preferably not with a clicker) do they cuddle more than an average tiel does? (All of these assuming that the parrot is doing like an average gcc and not an exception.)

Reactions: Ali

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
Very full of personality. My little guy loves to be out and has the tendency to scream if he’s not out. They sure can bite, if you don’t want a bird who can bite to the point of blood, I don’t recommend a green cheek, though they have smaller beaks than the other conures.
And how do u compare their noise level to an average tiel or a CAG?
How about reading their body language? I could almost always tell what they want if they bit or screamed. Are they as easy to read? Any keywords I need to know before getting into them? And can u compare them to a quaker? I know quakers are usually cage territorial, louder and more frequent in noise and more prone to hormonal problems.

sorry. I have a lot to ask before deciding the species.
tnx again

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have a read of this thread

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures

I think most of your questions are addressed there.

Edited to add: There's an quivalent thread for Quakers here

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are plenty of youtube videos of noisy birds. Here's one of a GCC screaming

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
There are plenty of youtube videos of noisy birds. Here's one of a GCC screaming

I read the thread and watched 2 vids. Sounds fun having one of them around and a lot of work

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
You could have a budgie and a conure. They'd have to housed separately, but as long as they could tolerate each other, they could be out at the same time. If you had a pair of budgies, they'd likely leave the conure alone and the conure would leave them alone as long as you spent a lot of time with the conure. That's not a guarantee, though.
And I second budgies.
Mine has the personality of a conure. He's super active, vocal (not super loud), fun, and I love playing with him. He's even started rolling onto his back and playing with things with his feet! (Which isn't normal for budgies, but it's super cute). They're so fun. And quieter, cheaper to keep, and less destructive.
But I personally also want a green cheek, so... I can't say much more. I think both would be a good option.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
You could have a budgie and a conure. They'd have to housed separately, but as long as they could tolerate each other, they could be out at the same time. If you had a pair of budgies, they'd likely leave the conure alone and the conure would leave them alone as long as you spent a lot of time with the conure. That's not a guarantee, though.
And I second budgies.
Mine has the personality of a conure. He's super active, vocal (not super loud), fun, and I love playing with him. He's even started rolling onto his back and playing with things with his feet! (Which isn't normal for budgies, but it's super cute). They're so fun. And quieter, cheaper to keep, and less destructive.
But I personally also want a green cheek, so... I can't say much more. I think both would be a good option.
Sounds peaceful. What should I expect if a GCC and a pair of budgies are in my room in separate cages? Who is more prone to tease the other? Considering the size and personality-wise I assume I need to keep an eye on GCC not to pick up on the budgie pair, right? Or is it usually the other way around?
And would a pair of budgies make any kinda bonds with me? Except when they are hungry or want sth from me to eat? If they are purchased together, is there any chance that they would come to me willingly?

BirdWorld

Sounds peaceful. What should I expect if a GCC and a pair of budgies are in my room in separate cages? Who is more prone to tease the other? Considering the size and personality-wise I assume I need to keep an eye on GCC not to pick up on the budgie pair, right? Or is it usually the other way around?
And would a pair of budgies make any kinda bonds with me? Except when they are hungry or want sth from me to eat? If they are purchased together, is there any chance that they would come to me willingly?
I have a pair of budgies, they have not bonded with me because they have bonded with each other. It is significantly harder to tame a pair of budgies than it is to tame one. Unless you have purchased them already hand tamed, they most likely will be scared of you, especially when you first bring them home. If you had a GCC and budgies, I’d expect them to, combined, be very loud. I don’t think I’d let them out together, just to be safe. A GCC can be very dangerous to a budgie if he wants to.
I think you should get budgies :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Madi, the new gal, is by far the loudest in the bunch. I can hear her call over all others and she has a high pitched call that actually makes my ear ring.

But Pyrrhura conures comes in many types. If you can get a maroon bellied, highly recommend. Maks has me completely wrapped.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I personally think equal numbers are better. That said- I have three. But usually I think the third bird feels a little like the odd man out. In my case, none of my birds are overly interested in each other. So it doesn't really matter but that's usually not the case.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
I have a pair of budgies, they have not bonded with me because they have bonded with each other. It is significantly harder to tame a pair of budgies than it is to tame one. Unless you have purchased them already hand tamed, they most likely will be scared of you, especially when you first bring them home. If you had a GCC and budgies, I’d expect them to, combined, be very loud. I don’t think I’d let them out together, just to be safe. A GCC can be very dangerous to a budgie if he wants to.
I think you should get budgies :)
I really like them and was considering even lovebirds or parrotlets. (I know this adds a lot to the equation but can’t help it)
To be completely clear I must say that my goal is gaining the handle of a small species and go for a larger one if I think I can handle more. Maybe a gcc or a Poi would be the second one. What do u think?

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
Madi, the new gal, is by far the loudest in the bunch. I can hear her call over all others and she has a high pitched call that actually makes my ear ring.

But Pyrrhura conures comes in many types. If you can get a maroon bellied, highly recommend. Maks has me completely wrapped.
I was first looking for a maroon bellied but unfortunately very rare in my country. I have heard they are less bossy and more calm, is it true?
And about a loud gcc, how loud are we talking about comparing to a screaming tiel or CAG? Although the CAG very rarely screamed. How frequent is Madi’s screaming?

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
I personally think equal numbers are better. That said- I have three. But usually I think the third bird feels a little like the odd man out. In my case, none of my birds are overly interested in each other. So it doesn't really matter but that's usually not the case.
I think I get what u mean. U are lucky to have them all bonded to u. My new personal situation is very flexible and finally the time has come to add some birds. I have kept different animals but noise problem in apartment was a real issue. Now I have almost no neighbors. Do u agree that I start gradually with smaller species? And Learn more gradually? Ofc I have been reading every parrot book and article that I could get my hands on and also worked with some birds at work and some pet stores as a volunteer. Getting bit a few times at work, it really hurts lol

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If your intention is to get a larger bird, then get the larger bird. Read this before you do anything

Even a smaller bird, like a GCC, can live into their twenties. It's still a long term commitment. A smaller bird requires space, enrichment and toys, care, and attention. A smaller bird is still going to need vet care and time out of its cage. A smaller bird will almost certainly not be able to come out of its cage at the same time as a larger bird - the difference in size, and especially beak size, could be fatal for the smaller bird. Those who have both (like @sunnysmom @JLcribber and @finchly) need to manage their time and space very carefully and have to be very commited to their small birds' safety.

Smaller birds deserve better than someone who is using them simply to gain experience so they can get the big bird of their dreams.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
If your intention is to get a larger bird, then get the larger bird. Read this before you do anything

Even a smaller bird, like a GCC, can live into their twenties. It's still a long term commitment. A smaller bird requires space, enrichment and toys, care, and attention. A smaller bird is still going to need vet care and time out of its cage. A smaller bird will almost certainly not be able to come out of its cage at the same time as a larger bird - the difference in size, and especially beak size, could be fatal for the smaller bird. Those who have both (like @sunnysmom @JLcribber and @finchly) need to manage their time and space very carefully and have to be very commited to their small birds' safety.

Smaller birds deserve better than someone who is using them simply to gain experience so they can get the big bird of their dreams.
I appreciate ur concern and I thought I made my intentions very clear. I have read parrot body language a lot but I can not say I am qualified to handle a bird that can inflict huge damage for now. I don’t know if u get what I say but I even got a yorkshire terrier and then I got my cane corso so i knew how to mentally handle a dog before getting a dog that can actually tear ppl apart. The same goes with a parrot for me. If a budgie gets out of my hand he won’t lose his home but if a screaming sun conure get to the screaming mode in an apartment it could really challenge my mind. And u think both are the same? With all due respect, that’s quite a reckless assumption to think that I am using a bird for experimental purposes which is not true. I have made solid commitments to any animal in my place. (Even the ones who were brought to me as emergency. This is exactly why I have not yet bought a parrot cuz I didn’t want them to rehome cuz of complaining neighbors or any other deal breaking problems)

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
I agree with the advice that has been given. If you want a large bird, get a large bird.
I can see your reasoning, and it makes sense to me. But I think that in your case, the best way to gain that experience would be working with birds.
If you have a local rescue, see if you can volunteer with them. Then you can learn the quirks of many different species, and maybe decide which one is your favorite. Or you could foster, instead of getting a small bird to start. Fostering a budgie or conure would accomplish what you want, and then you wouldn't end up with an extra bird on your hands.
Those are just my thoughts.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
well I recommend
Green Cheeks
Senegals
Pionus
But I can't guarantee they'll be good with birds also make sure to adopt

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Different bird species are wildly different when it comes to temperament, behaviour and how they interact with humans. By getting a smaller bird, you're only really learning anything about that type of bird - and may be totally unprepared for what a different species will throw your way. I have a Pionus. Even interacting with Greys is totally different than interacting with her. I can't read them in the same way as I can her, even though a small Grey may only weigh 100g more than her. With Leia, I only need to glance at her to know what mood she's in...the Greys I've met have been pretty much inscrutable. I could try interacting with a Caique - maybe weighing about 80g less than her - and it would be like interacting with a totally different animal. I read what people say about their greys or caiques on here and am amazed that they're all parrots. It's a totally different experience.

Different bird species are also very hard to keep safely together ESPECIALLY when you start mixing beak sizes. A parrotlet, for example, will try to pick a fight with an Amazon. What an Amazon thinks of as a warning nip can kill a little bird. There are posts on this forum where someone's big bird has killed or seriously injured a smaller bird. Leia is super gentle with me, but the fact is that she weighs 250g and a budgie weighs 30g. Her beak alone is the size of a budgie's head. She just has to be in a bad mood and the budgie gets severely injured.

She's also my first bird. Pionus are the only species I'm reallly interested in. I never had a bird before Leia and I knew it wasn't fair to get a bird species that I wasn't passionate about. I did a lot of research and planning, joined an in-person Parrot Club and went to their meetings, talked to lots of people including parrot behaviourists and breeders, and took the plunge and got her. It was scary but the best decision I could have made.

Last edited:

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
I agree with the advice that has been given. If you want a large bird, get a large bird.
I can see your reasoning, and it makes sense to me. But I think that in your case, the best way to gain that experience would be working with birds.
If you have a local rescue, see if you can volunteer with them. Then you can learn the quirks of many different species, and maybe decide which one is your favorite. Or you could foster, instead of getting a small bird to start. Fostering a budgie or conure would accomplish what you want, and then you wouldn't end up with an extra bird on your hands.
Those are just my thoughts.
Thanks for the advice. I understand that everyone here speaks for the well being of the birds as the top priority and this is why I came here in the first place. Last year my 17 yrs old iguana died and my 9 yrs old cat too. If I wasn’t living with 3 rescue dogs I would be completely devastated. Now the dogs are returned to the organization they belonged to and I am here to build a flock cuz I am used to live with multiple animals. Parrots are not predators so any cat or dog is out of question I think. What do u suggest? U think it is time for me to retire? I am only 35, lol. And if there is ways to build a flock around me I am open to any suggestions.