• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which species is beat for me?

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
Hello everone,
I am new here and I regret that I wasn’t here when forums were much more active
First of all I need to say that I know all parrots are noisy and somehow demanding. Actually I have worked with parrots in a store and been working as a vet assist for more than 10 yrs. Recently I have done some researches and observations and I managed to narrow down a list considering my financial and social sotuation:

Green cheek
Quaker
Alexandrine
Meyer
Senegal
Pionus
(I know every bird is an individual but I’d like to increase my chances of predicting what is coming)
Noise isn’t really a problem and if it gets out of hand, I know ways to curve such behavior. (Unless it is bunch of Aratinga species screaming together lol) I currently have no pets but my gf has 2 dogs and they get here almost everyday and stay for hours. The dogs are usually very friendly towards other pets. I think a caique or a cockatoo would be more demanding and probably more bully toward others.
Talking ability is not important but could be a bonus. (1 point for quaker and alex) being cuddly is more important and also being friendly. Again, i know every bird is different but still wanna know ur opinions.
Btw the cage size is way bigger than their minimal needs but still don’t want a M2.
Any ideas? Other suggestions? Even larger ones?

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I currently have no pets but my gf has 2 dogs and they get here almost everyday and stay for hours. The dogs are usually very friendly towards other pets
You would have to keep them separate constantly, you can't predict what would happen.

We really don't know much about you, so need to more information to give you an answer. How much the do you have? How much space do you have? Which species are easy to obtain where you are? Would you like a baby or would you like to get a rescue? If you want a rescue, you could visit a local rescue centre and meet a few different birds and species and let them choose you.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
If your rescue allows you to foster a bird you could do that too. Gcc's are usually more playful and quieter than most conures. Quakers are usually more aggressive/territorial and calmer. I don't know about the rest. Can you provide more info about your lifestyle? Here's a good bird test for you-

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
You would have to keep them separate constantly, you can't predict what would happen.

We really don't know much about you, so need to more information to give you an answer. How much the do you have? How much space do you have? Which species are easy to obtain where you are? Would you like a baby or would you like to get a rescue? If you want a rescue, you could visit a local rescue centre and meet a few different birds and species and let them choose you.
l
Thank u for answering
Where I live there is almost no shelters for birds except a few that are keeping their birds in poor conditions. I don’t really think u wanna get into that issue rn.
Anyway, I live right above the vet clinic that I am working at. I work from 2 pm to 8-9 pm. But I can still go to my parrot every 2-3 hrs to see if everything is fine. I want him to live in my own bedroom where I usually sit, read, play video games, watch movies, etc.
I think u can have a better idea now.
And s/he can spend the rest of my time out of the cage. I have already prepared a play gym and a large cage. Even toys are coming but all of them would be modified when I can choose my bird. Currently alex and quaker really captivate me but I have seen a jardine which was the sweetest bird ever. I think a young one (just weaned) would work better. Don’t u think?

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
If your rescue allows you to foster a bird you could do that too. Gcc's are usually more playful and quieter than most conures. Quakers are usually more aggressive/territorial and calmer. I don't know about the rest. Can you provide more info about your lifestyle? Here's a good bird test for you-
Thanks. I had been doing these tests for like forever lol but then I started reading some parrot behavior guide and went to some stores to see the individuals. Sun conures are stunning but put of my budget right now.
Do u think it’s a good idea to take him to the clinic every once in awhile to make accustomed to the environment?
And I am currently sitting beside the vet which is an old friend of mine so vet checks are not a concern.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank u for answering
Where I live there is almost no shelters for birds except a few that are keeping their birds in poor conditions. I don’t really think u wanna get into that issue rn.
Anyway, I live right above the vet clinic that I am working at. I work from 2 pm to 8-9 pm. But I can still go to my parrot every 2-3 hrs to see if everything is fine. I want him to live in my own bedroom where I usually sit, read, play video games, watch movies, etc.
I think u can have a better idea now.
And s/he can spend the rest of my time out of the cage. I have already prepared a play gym and a large cage. Even toys are coming but all of them would be modified when I can choose my bird. Currently alex and quaker really captivate me but I have seen a jardine which was the sweetest bird ever. I think a young one (just weaned) would work better. Don’t u think?
What cage/ cage size do you have? Thank you for the better background on you.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
To answer your other questions:
Almost all of these parrots are easy to get here except pionus which I am still to see in person. I can even manage to live with a more costy bird don’t wanna aim very high cuz I care for the bird that comes to me and already bought a clicker to train the feathery one who comes.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
What cage/ cage size do you have? Thank you for the better background on you.
It’s 170cm height, 75 cm, 75 cm. A full door on top and 2 sides.
My only concern is living happily together. I have had dogs, cats, reptiles, amphibians and inverts. I can not say they were all happy all the time but my recent experiences with rescue dogs and cats have been very successful.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I would recommend a green cheek conure. They can be really quiet and cuddly at times, but also playful and noisy. They do require a lot of attention though, and will probably bite you a couple of times.

But I try to avoid taking my birds to the vet often, since some people bring birds with viral infections or diseases that could easily be spread to your bird. (This what I was told)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
75x57cm is 29.5x29.5 inches

Look at the recommended cage sizes for the birds you are interested in here: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

That cage size is far too small for a Pionus (any species), a Jardine or an Alexandrine.

It's okay but on the small side for a Senegal or Meyers.

It's a good size for a Green Cheek Conure or Quaker.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
75x57cm is 29.5x29.5 inches

Look at the recommended cage sizes for the birds you are interested in here: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

That cage size is far too small for a Pionus (any species), a Jardine or an Alexandrine.

It's okay but on the small side for a Senegal or Meyers.

It's a good size for a Green Cheek Conure or Quaker.
Tnx. Such great article. I need to dig into it as soon as I am done with the parrot training book I am currently reading.
I can bring the cage back since it is not assembled yet and the pet shop owner is a friend of mine. He actually offered me the jardine with a larger cage but I am still here to here what u all have to say and then decide for myself to be a proud flock member.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
I would recommend a green cheek conure. They can be really quiet and cuddly at times, but also playful and noisy. They do require a lot of attention though, and will probably bite you a couple of times.

But I try to avoid taking my birds to the vet often, since some people bring birds with viral infections or diseases that could easily be spread to your bird. (This what I was told)
Hi
I assume gcc comes with size of the cage that I described, right? Again, I can make modification in cage size, play gym and even bird proofing lvl, lol

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
It seems like a good size, just make sure it has a lot of toys. My conure really likes shredding finger trappers, and fighting with bells.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
It seems like a good size, just make sure it has a lot of toys. My conure really likes shredding finger trappers, and fighting with bells.
Sounds fun to me
Gcc is my first choice. I just wanna know how interactive they potentially are compared to a quaker or a senegal. I have seen some of them in person and they were all like total poker faces. Lol

Bookwyrm

I know someone with a green cheek, and that little bird is the best. She is super playful, loves climbing all over everything and everyone, and even hanging out in her person's shirt. Green cheeks are very fun birds.
I recently had the opportunity to interact a little with a quaker, and she was a little grumpy. She was only out of the cage for a few minutes, but just didn't seem as full of energy as the green cheek was. (This was just my very short, very limited experience).
I'd recommend taking a look at the "good the bad and the ugly" threads on here for each of the species you're looking into. They can give you a really good idea of what each species is like.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
I know someone with a green cheek, and that little bird is the best. She is super playful, loves climbing all over everything and everyone, and even hanging out in her person's shirt. Green cheeks are very fun birds.
I recently had the opportunity to interact a little with a quaker, and she was a little grumpy. She was only out of the cage for a few minutes, but just didn't seem as full of energy as the green cheek was. (This was just my very short, very limited experience).
I'd recommend taking a look at the "good the bad and the ugly" threads on here for each of the species you're looking into. They can give you a really good idea of what each species is like.
Tnx for the reply.
I've had limited interaction with GCC in our clinic and also in some pet stores and friend's homes and as u mentioned they are full of energy and fun to interact with.
I have read almost all the articles I could find on them and a few books to get a grasp on their behaviour and diet. Some of the books I have read are not particularly on GCC but covering all the parrots in general. (Especially the books on possible behavior issues)
I assume my final choice would be a GCC or a Quaker and right now I am favoring GCC over Q.

conureluv

@conureluv @webchirp can tell you more about conures.
Very full of personality. My little guy loves to be out and has the tendency to scream if he’s not out. They sure can bite, if you don’t want a bird who can bite to the point of blood, I don’t recommend a green cheek, though they have smaller beaks than the other conures.

Maso0od

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Masoud
I am team budgie! I think you should consider budgies. They are the most underrated bird and are super intelligent, sweet, cheeky and fun.
I was really thinking about them. They are sooo sweet and fun. Tbh a bit small for my taste. U think one of them can share the same room with a gcc with separate cages? Ofc I won’t try to force them into friendship but would be nice if they get along. If so they can be out together under close supervision, right?