• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Bird To Choose?

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello, i wanted to get another bird after my budgie passed. First off, i know all birds are different in personality even in the same types but im asking in general. all birds are nippy and loud and and all but again im asking in general.

so i just wanted to show all my "needs" for the bird. not all are necessary though just would be nice if they were like this.
1. Small size (between the size of a budgie and a cockatiel)
2. Would be a nice "lap-bird" as in isnt that flighty and is willing to sit on your shoulder/desk while your doing something like paperwork etc.
3. relatively quiet (generally i know all birds are loud)
4. isnt nippy (the bird will be handfed)
5. i know "beginner birds" is a controversial topic but which bird is "easier" in a sense like their personality? green cheeks might be attached to only one person and might get nippy, etc etc.

put in your experiences? thank you ^^

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are no birds with your requirements. Especially a nice lap bird. What you have described is a kitten. The bird you end up with has more to do with how you look after it and the environment you provide than anything else.

What happened to your other bird?

Last edited:

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Beside the fact that the bird will give you what you put into it and even then there is no guarantee , I would say a green cheek conure or maroon bellied conure.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
There are no birds with your requirements. Especially a nice lap bird. What you have described is a kitten. The bird you end up with has more to do with how you look after it and the environment you provide than anything else.

What happened to your other bird?
a reason why i said lap bird in quotations ^^" sorry if you misunderstood but i meant as in is more "laidback" than other hyperactive birds like i heard some people say that their cockatiels made nice "lap birds" iin that sense. My other bird was a budgie from my aunt, more preferably my cousin's but she had to go to college so we took care of him. he was already quite old considering my cousin had him since she was in middle school up until a year ago. He was about 6 years maybe? i know budgies can live longer but he was old. natural causes is what i believe. no frying pans or pots with coating, no air fresheners, etc.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
@JLcribber just wanted to ask, i also heard birds go through a hormonal maturing part? what are cockatiels like when they get hormonal or go through this stage?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I think Cockatiels are great birds as well as any small parrot such as a Meyers if you are looking for an African Poicephalus. Senegals are also great smaller birds.

Though, budgies are great birds too. I loved owning a parrotlet that I had from 8 weeks old to almost a 16 yr old bird. He was the best little guy ever. If the chance comes again to add to my flock again, it would be a little parrotlet, a normal green male.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber just wanted to ask, i also heard birds go through a hormonal maturing part? what are cockatiels like when they get hormonal or go through this stage?
They get a little nesty, testy just like every other bird. Fairly mild compared to most species IMO.