• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Type of Bird Should I Get?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I wish you good luck, and don't forget to consider other species as well.
One thing, with Amazons, you'll see a lot of people with problems with extreme aggression, but there is a large species difference (with some being closer in temperament to Pionus parrots, their relatives - and another group you should consider if you are looking for a more easy going Amazon-like personality). Orange-wings are not the best talkers and rather drab compared to other Amazons, but they are known for nice temperaments. My aunt had one for over 30 years, and she was a sweetie. She was loud, but it was an interesting call, not just screaming.

With Amazons, it's also a really good idea to consider rescues. They are very long-lived (the world record oldest parrot was a 105 yr old orange-wing amazon, although 70-80 seems more common), and sometimes really nice birds come into rescues only because they outlived their owners. It's also a very long term commitment to get a baby Amazon. Eclectus, on the other hand, don't live nearly that long.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
@karen256 is so right. That's why I suggested you learn about hormonal behavior. Like I said, the YNA was older than me! In many ways, wiser, too.