• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Type of Bird Should I Get?

vero

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone,
I have decided that I am ready for a parrot and I have been looking into a couple species, but I'm not sure which one is right for me. Also, regardless of which species I choose I plan on spending another year researching so that I am fully prepared.

I have been looking into either an Orange Winged Amazon or an Eclectus Parrot. I would like to know which would be better for me or if I should look into a bird different from those.

I want a bird that is medium sized or larger. Noise is not a problem as I live in a standalone house. I don't care if the bird is cuddly but I would like for it to sit near or on me. I will be able to spend at least 4 hours of one on one time with the bird daily. The only thing is, I have no prior experience with birds, although so far I have done tons of research.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to AA!

I would advise to go volunteer at a rescue near you - birds are all individuals, some fall in line with the tendencies you can read about, others don't. That way, you get to meet individual birds and you might be surprised who you come home with.

I know that Eclectus do require specialized diets, and I am not very familiar with Amazons.

Either way, good luck with your search!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue. :)
I would advise to go volunteer at a rescue near you - birds are all individuals, some fall in line with the tendencies you can read about, others don't. That way, you get to meet individual birds and you might be surprised who you come home with.
Great advice...you'd be surprised how many times a bird will pick YOU. ;)

I love your attitude...here's a secret...when you get a bird home, your true education will begin...much of it taught by the bird, themselves...:yes3:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Volunteering is always my recommendation, too. Not only will you find birds you never imagined, you'll know about noise levels and abilities, needs and diets, all while helping immensely. Those species descriptions can be very misleading! The best part is the decision usually is made by the bird!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome!
I think volunteering would be a great learning experience as well! Also I think it is great you are taking this so serious and doing so much research:) You will make a fine parront I think.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
People on the internet can no more tell you what the right bird is for you, than we can tell you what your favorite fruit or vegetable will be.
We can give you advice, we can say 'I know a lot of people with similar tastes like _____', but ultimately... we don't know you, and each bird is unique.

I really don't say this to sound condescending, I promise. But it's SO individual, both you and the bird in question. After ruling out specific 'that would be a problem' tendencies (apartment dwellers probably shouldn't have cockatoos, for example, because loud), you just have to meet birds and figure it out for yourself in the end.

Volunteering is a great idea. Even if you don't get enslaved by find the right bird, you can get an idea of what the species are like.

Going to bird shows can also give you some insight. (Early in my birding life, attending a bird show convinced me a parrotlet was not the right bird for me (yet), despite lots and lots and lots of reading, and I am still convinced that was the right choice.)

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
:rofl::rofl::rofl::wacky::roflmao::wacky: You can always take one of those "best bird" quizzes on the internet. LMAO:roflmao::wacky::roflmao::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:roflmao: I always get African Grey or Cockatoo/Macaw on those, I still think a Ringneck would fit me better :wacky:

Abraham Lincoln once said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet."

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If there's anyway for you to spend time with either type of bird, I think that would be best. What is it about those 2 birds that you think you like? (And welcome! :) )

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Abraham Lincoln once said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet."
:rofl: As I've said before, what's this world coming to when you can't believe everything you read on the internet?:rofl:

Seriously, why those particular birds?
Try volunteering and learning as much as possible about hormonal behavior and special diets. Make sure you read the threads THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY ABOUT ___ at
The Good The Bad and The Ugly about Eclectus Parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
and
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Amazons | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

vero

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for all the responses, I will definitely look into volunteering!

I like amazons partly because they're easy to read and I do like that they tend to be more independent, not to mention they're beautiful. Also, (from what I've heard) they tend to be more emotionally stable and can bounce back. I looked up some videos of them screaming because some bird screams irritate the heck out of me *cough cough* sun conure *cough cough* and I don't think their screaming is irritating at all (although it might be after awhile:lol:)

I like eclectus parrots because first of all, they're adorable and the sounds they make are absolutely adorable. I also like how they are inquisitive and independent. I have heard that they are prone to plucking and toe tapping, but it is usually due to improper diet. Also, they're scream is a bit irritating, but tolerable. I know they have a specialized diet, but I don't think I'll have a problem keeping up with it.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even though I didn't volunteer at a rescue before ending up with Java, I had made a list of the things I want and don't want for a bird, and narrowed it down to a few species: Indian Ringneck, Alexandrine, Plum-headed parakeet, Hahn's Macaw, Orange-Winged Amazon, and a Caique. In the end, I ended up with a Greater Vasa, which was NOT on my list of wants, but I have enjoyed his company more than I thought I would. I believe fate put us together. So, even though you have your heart set on one or more species, that special little someone may pop up when you least expect it. Life's full of little surprises. :) Keep an open mind. Good luck in your search!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I looked up some videos of them screaming because some bird screams irritate the heck out of me *cough cough* sun conure *cough cough* and I don't think their screaming is irritating at all (although it might be after awhile:lol:)
:wacky: Hey, watch out! Daytona is a Sun Conure! :rofl:

My favorite saying about a Sun is
Don't assume no one's home,
I'm here to scream for 911!
:rofl:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Volunteering at a rescue, working with all birds is my best advice.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
There are more sanctuaries around than people imagine! Most likely your AV has a list of them. The internet may not show small ones. Another place to turn is your closest audubon society.
Find an AV before getting your bird! An AV can answer your bird questions.
I recommend writing your questions down first then taking notes! Personally, half of what mine says never actually gets remembered unless notes are taken. Also, half of my questions are forgotten at the door unless written down.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The article I gave you a link to was written by a very well respected bird person. Don't poo poo something until you know more about the author. Many of bus here respect her knowledge.

DAislandR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dustin Aaron
Thanks for all the responses, I will definitely look into volunteering!

I like eclectus parrots because first of all, they're adorable and the sounds they make are absolutely adorable. I also like how they are inquisitive and independent. I have heard that they are prone to plucking and toe tapping, but it is usually due to improper diet. Also, they're scream is a bit irritating, but tolerable. I know they have a specialized diet, but I don't think I'll have a problem keeping up with it.
My mom has an Eclectus and she does require a strict diet but once you get on a routine, it's a breeze. "Rajah", mom's Ekkie, loves her Harrison's and fresh fruits and vegetables. Just be sure to have your "Don't" list specific for Ekkies. I have an old account: AvianLover80 that has tons of sites and links for Ekkies when my mom first got "Rajah" in 2014. The profile pic I think has a pic of me holding her.

Max83

Walking the driveway
other than volunteering if there isn't a rescue centre near you go at home of one friend who has bird or meet people who owe one, talk and spend time with them and their birds if it's possible. I don't have experience with the species you mentioned