• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Awwwwwww! :heart: Beautiful to see. I love birdies that have birdie friends. It is so interesting to watch them interacting.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are very well made beds, IMO. I found one that I never used so I'm going to clean it a bit and give that to Jaden. He liked sleeping in it and would also put toys and other items inside of it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
They are very well made beds, IMO. I found one that I never used so I'm going to clean it a bit and give that to Jaden. He liked sleeping in it and would also put toys and other items inside of it.
Do you know what material is under the fabric... or better question, what is the tube made out of?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Excited to report that Mango continues to progress toward becoming a trusting friend!! Her body language and vocalizations when I am around her have become very positive and happy. The change over that last week has been remarkable. When I get home from work, she gets very excited and starts calling. When I open the door of her cage she climbs out onto the top of her cage and then comes right over to where I am standing. All the while, she makes this low happy chatter as though she is talking to herself. It is wonderful to listen to. She always flys to where ever I am and hangs out with me. Yesterday when I was eating dinner at the dining room table, she flew over an perched on the chair next to me and just sat there looking at me. I gave her some safflower seeds which she seems to enjoy. She seems to prefer me hand-feeding her seeds rather than taking them from her bowl.

I can sense that she really wants to perch on me but is still too afraid. She has been flying right at me over and over but turns away at the last minute. If I hold out my hand and say "come on Mango!" she immediately tries to fly to me. I think that someday she will finally land on my hand.

We still have some days where she is extremely hormonal, with all her mating advances. One night last week she was up doing her courtship dances until 11:30 at night, driving me crazy. I could not get her back in her cage. Finally, I said "Fine, I am going to bed. Do what you want." After I crawled into bed, she started flying figure-8s all over the place! This scared me because I did not want her to crash into something, so I got up and went and sat by her cage until she finally went back in for the night.

I am a little worried about her flying. When she is excited, she loves to fly around acrobatically all over the place. She has already flown into a chair and stunned herself briefly. I am wondering if her wings should be clipped a little bit, but I would hate to do this to her and I have no way of taking her to a vet yet.

I now cover her at night and uncover her completely during the day, as all of you suggested, and this has done wonders. I also move her cage over by the window during the day so that she can enjoy seeing the outdoors and sunshine.

So, overall, the change in her attitude toward me has been awesome. We have a great bond now! Thanks again for all of the advice. Mango went from being a lonely bird in a dark, isolated enclosure to living in a nice condo with a trusted friend. I love it!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Also forgot to mention that I have been working with her on stepping up using a sunflower seed as the reward (she has not had a single sunflower seed in a couple of months). when she saw the seed, she REALLY wanted it. I would hold out my finger for her to step on and then hold the seed so that she could only reach it if she stepped onto my finger.

She would try as hard as she could to reach that seed without stepping up, really stretching her neck. We did this repeatedly for several times over the period of an hour, but she refused to give in and step up, even for a coveted, tasty sunflower seed. She just can't bring herself to trust a human hand. Eventually, I rewarded her for the effort with some safflower seeds.

I will just keep trying this occasionally trying this. Maybe someday!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do believe she will step up one of these days. You've achieved so much with her and reading your post brought a smile to my face. I know sometimes you were getting frustrated and I'm glad you hung in there with her and didn't throw in the towel. I didn't think you would do that any way. Do you have any space at all for a play stand/play gym? Maybe that would be something she would like perching and playing on. Doesn't have to be something big, just something that you can attach a few toys to with water and food bowsl (or not) and an area she can explore.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sounds like you are both making fabulous progress!!!! I wouldn't clip her wings - clipped wings will be even more dangerous for her. It won't stop her from flying into things and may send her crashing to the floor. Maybe cover the chair with a plain coloured towel next time she comes out to soften it. But she will learn where things are. Has she got other places to land? As iamwhoiam suggested, maybe a play gym of sorts. I have spring boings, atoms and other playgyms hanging from the ceiling and all the birds love those. They take up minimal room. You just need to put some newspaper underneath. Start off with a Boing... they are pretty cheap and such fun!

Re the step up, I would break down the eventual step up into tiny achievable steps or approximations - it's called shaping. You are asking too much from her - she will give up if there is no way to reach the sunflower seed. So shape the behaviour gradually so that she achieves success in every session - that way she will look forward to the training sessions. Reinforce (verbal "good!" and give her the sunflower) her walking towards your finger. Then reinforce her leaning over your finger ("good!" sunflower). Then reinforce for putting one foot on your finger etc. ("good!" sunflower). You may have to break down the steps into even smaller approximations.

Just train for maybe 30 seconds here and there throughout the day (repetition is the key). You may only get to her leaning over your finger the first few sessions and that's fine. You might be able to break the sunflower in half so you get more behaviour - you can achieve this with shelled sunflowers. I would definitely work with sunflowers since they mean so much to her. I know you are trying to keep them to a minimum.

Later you might want to think of gradually hiding the sunflower from her view (in your fingers) so that she concentrates on the behaviour you are asking for rather than just following the seed.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Hi everyone!

Mango here! I just thought I would pop in and let you all know that I am doing very well. Here are a few pictures of me in my element...

Mango hanging out_resized.png
I love hanging out here on the light fixture while getting some rays from the nearby window.

Mango on monitor_resized.png
This is another place that I like to hang out. I love he warmth from the monitor warming up my tail while I keep an eye on my human as he works.

Mango with millet_resized.png
I love chowing down on some fresh, tasty millet. Yum!!!

I hope everyone is doing well and that everyone's flocks are doing well too!
Mango

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Have you tried asking Mango to step up on a sleeved arm? My conure Yoshi has only very recently started stepping up on hands but he took to sleeved arms pretty quickly.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Such a deva!!! They can step up on arms easier when they are afraid of hands...

Put piece of millet on you arm or hold the millet so she has to get closer & closer to your arm still she has to step on it...

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Have you tried asking Mango to step up on a sleeved arm? My conure Yoshi has only very recently started stepping up on hands but he took to sleeved arms pretty quickly.
i will try this! It never occurred to me. Thank you!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Such a deva!!! They can step up on arms easier when they are afraid of hands...

Put piece of millet on you arm or hold the millet so she has to get closer & closer to your arm still she has to step on it...
i will definitely give this a try. I have been using sunflower seeds to try to lure her to step up onto my hand, but she absolutely refuses. I will see if she might consider stepping onto my arm.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Just remember to be wearing a big jumper. :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She looks like she's doing well! Make sure you check the back of your monitor for bird poo - there is a reason why Leia isn't allowed there anymore!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
She looks like she's doing well! Make sure you check the back of your monitor for bird poo - there is a reason why Leia isn't allowed there anymore!
hehe.... yes, I have been keeping an eye on it!