• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yous tell inspired me to try working harder to hand tame Riti with your "Carrot" of treats. Riti is starting to put a foot on my arm and even climbed on my arm to get the Slivered Almond and then climbed up to my shoulder to eat it. Major progress thank you for posting as it got me t try again.
That is great to hear, Mark! I hope that Riti continues to make progress right along with Mango. Let's keep each other posted!

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
OMG I’m actually crying right now. I’ve been reading this whole thread from the start for the past week and finally got caught up! And what a happy place to be, the heroine of the story finally opened her heart and stepped up onto the hero’s finger!
Tears of joy!

The story of Mango and Craig should be made into a movie!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:starshower1::starshower::starshower1:

Well done both of you! Truly a testament to patience and time.

Sandra Gibson

Walking the driveway
I Agree with Raet, I am a full time work mom, I take Mango out in the am when I give him his breakfast but only for a short time as I have to run to work, But when i get home he comes out has a snack with me on his playpen and is out until dinner time then he goes in to eat his door is open so he can come out while we eat dinner, he is fine and happy, on the weekends he out very much of the time until bedtime or if I have to run and do errands he goes back in his cage. He loves to see me in the living room where is cage is and he is a happy camper. Much better than a caged life in a pet shop.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
OMG I’m actually crying right now. I’ve been reading this whole thread from the start for the past week and finally got caught up! And what a happy place to be, the heroine of the story finally opened her heart and stepped up onto the hero’s finger!
Tears of joy!

The story of Mango and Craig should be made into a movie!
Awwww, you are so sweet! I can't believe that you read through the entire thread!! Actually, the hero of the story is all of the people on AA who gave me great advice and encouragement. I would have given up a long time ago if not for them.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I Agree with Raet, I am a full time work mom, I take Mango out in the am when I give him his breakfast but only for a short time as I have to run to work, But when i get home he comes out has a snack with me on his playpen and is out until dinner time then he goes in to eat his door is open so he can come out while we eat dinner, he is fine and happy, on the weekends he out very much of the time until bedtime or if I have to run and do errands he goes back in his cage. He loves to see me in the living room where is cage is and he is a happy camper. Much better than a caged life in a pet shop.
what does your bird like to eat?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I bought a batch of fresh, organic broccoli today and steamed it. I took a piece over and ate it in front of Mango, then I tried to get her to taste it. She came over and touched it with her tongue and ran away. She wanted nothing to do with it. I tried again and again, nothing.

In frustration, I stuck pieces of the broccoli all over her cage, between the bars, on top, etc. Later, while I was sitting on the couch reading, I glanced over and she was eating a piece!!!!! When she saw me looking at her, she stopped. I looked away, and a few minutes later she was eating a different piece!!! Once again, when she saw me looking at her, she stopped. It almost felt like she did not want to be seen eating it, BUT SHE DID EAT SOME!!!!!!!!! I am soooooooooo happy! I am going to continue to steam more broccoli and other veggies to see if I can't incorporate this into her diet.

Also, it is so funny that now she appears to be trained to lift her leg any time she sees a sunflower seed and I say "step up." During our training session today, I approached the cage holding a seed visibly in my right hand, while holding out my left hand and saying "step up!" Mango, upon seeing the seed, started walking toward me, but the funny thing was that about every 5 steps, she would stop and hold out her right leg, then take 5 more steps and stop and hold out her right leg, then, when she got close enough, she stopped and grabbed my finger. Then I gave her the seed and lots of praise. I wish I could have gotten it on video. I can't believe how quickly she learned this. After she is very comfortable doing this, I am going to start withholding the seed until she steps onto my hand with both legs. But I want to take this slowly. I am soooo proud of her. To me, it is so sweet that she is responding to training like this. What a wonderful little bird!!!!!

Overall, I am very excited though. She is showing signs of being willing to add some veggies to her diet, and she is responding to training.

Right now, she has gone to bed, but she is doing this routine where she calls me, then when I go to see her, she gives me the go-away dance. She does this almost every night. I wonder if it is possible that it is not me she is calling, but maybe a friend that she was once bonded to who she was split from when she was sold to a pet store. Also, when I show her bird videos, she only seems to respond to videos of other conures. It is really making me wonder if she has a broken heart and still remembers a mate or friend that she misses and calls for, especially when she goes to bed each night. That makes me feel so sad because that would be a lot of hurt that she carries with her all the time. I would love so much to be able to give her another conure friend. I just don't have the space for another cage. But I care about Mango so much that I would love to be able to give her what she needs to be happy. How much I wish she were able to tell me her story!

Oh well. We do what we can!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well. I enjoy sharing the progress!!!

Last edited:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Good job! to both of you! Now's the time to try introducing other fresh foods. Cheddar loves Broccoli and Cauliflower, Sweet peas and fresh corn just cut from the cobb not so much the frozen stuff. Plus Matchstick carrots, I cut them fresh from a regular carrot after buying to many bags of the precut ones at smell like they were fermenting when I opened the bag, just be careful not to chop your fingers when chopping the carrot! Try one at a time or all at once.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Good job! to both of you! Now's the time to try introducing other fresh foods. Cheddar loves Broccoli and Cauliflower, Sweet peas and fresh corn just cut from the cobb not so much the frozen stuff. Plus Matchstick carrots, I cut them fresh from a regular carrot after buying to many bags of the precut ones at smell like they were fermenting when I opened the bag, just be careful not to chop your fingers when chopping the carrot! Try one at a time or all at once.
Yes! I am going to continue to feed the steamed, organic broccoli and then add other steamed veggies just like you suggest.

Great to hear that you have Cheddar eating veggies too. No easy task!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I am so proud of YOU for your persistence! And proud of Mango for being more adventurous in trying something new to eat. I give my broccoli raw and whole baby organic carrots... they love those and it gives them something to do breaking bits off to eat... all that's left are tiny shreds on the bottom of the cage. Try making some quinoa and you can add vegetables to the cooked quinoa ( shred the veggies into small bits in your little food processor and mix in with the quinoa. I know you'll like how it tastes so you can share with Mango in a little bowl. Put the extra in a zip lock bag and each day you can thaw a spoonful for her to eat. Keep at it... you're doing great!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
WONDERFUL progress!!!! :dance4: Or should that be a dancing broccoli? :D Love hearing how the training is going too. Well done for going as slowly as it takes, and teaching her tiny manageable steps/approximations towards the final step up behaviour. You could try to kick start the behaviour by using the seed as a lure briefly at the beginning.... ie. a lure so that she has to step up with two feet to reach the seed. Then fade it out asap by gradually hiding it again in your fingers, so that she concentrates on the behaviour and not just following the treat. You know what she is capable of - I was just throwing in a suggestion.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I am so proud of YOU for your persistence! And proud of Mango for being more adventurous in trying something new to eat. I give my broccoli raw and whole baby organic carrots... they love those and it gives them something to do breaking bits off to eat... all that's left are tiny shreds on the bottom of the cage. Try making some quinoa and you can add vegetables to the cooked quinoa ( shred the veggies into small bits in your little food processor and mix in with the quinoa. I know you'll like how it tastes so you can share with Mango in a little bowl. Put the extra in a zip lock bag and each day you can thaw a spoonful for her to eat. Keep at it... you're doing great!
Great idea! I will try that.

I have tried making oatmeal for her and then putting some safflower seeds in it so that she has to taste the oatmeal to get to the seeds. She gets the seeds out but has never really eaten any of the oatmeal.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
WONDERFUL progress!!!! :dance4: Or should that be a dancing broccoli? :D Love hearing how the training is going too. Well done for going as slowly as it takes, and teaching her tiny manageable steps/approximations towards the final step up behaviour. You could try to kick start the behaviour by using the seed as a lure briefly at the beginning.... ie. a lure so that she has to step up with two feet to reach the seed. Then fade it out asap by gradually hiding it again in your fingers, so that she concentrates on the behaviour and not just following the treat. You know what she is capable of - I was just throwing in a suggestion.
Thanks, Fuzzy. Yes, I am slowly working my way toward the behavior you describe. I am really excited that’s this kind of progress is possible. For the longest time, she simply would not respond.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Mango is progressing with her step-up training. When I hold my hand up, she now jumps right up and long as she believes that she will be rewarded with a seed. Upon getting the seed, she jumps off. I am now trying to train her to stay on my hand for longer periods of time. Slow steady progress.

Her diet is still not very good, though she will eat small amounts of steamed broccoli and chopped apple. I took Cosmo's old cage to a rescue this morning and donated it (it's been sitting undisturbed for over two years since she died). While I was there, I purchased a small kit called "Sunflower Microgreens Growing Kit" that has everything necessary for sprouting sunflower seeds, which are still like crack to Mango, so I am hoping that she will eat the sprouts and get some nutrition.

I hope everyone is doing well and that your birds are happy and healthy!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Some progress is better than none! I'm so proud of you for sticking through this with Mango. So nice to have an update from you!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Guess what...

Mango actually perched on my finger for 3 or 4 minutes last night while eating some seeds. I just stood very still. I am so proud of her!!

Only took 1.5 years!!!!!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
WONDERFUL!

I bet you couldn't have imagined this a year ago! Your patience, commitment and steadiness are amazing.