• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What aviary should I get for my birthday? I need a cheap but big one around 100-400.

gabbyc064

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabby
Hello! I have 6 birds. I'm planning on expanding my flock :) But I need an aviary to put them all (hopefully they don't fight if th do i have a spare cage) anyways, I already have had the hexagonal aviary and it broke..so that's a no on my list. If you have a STAINLESS steel aviary that's even better but they are known as expensive...but if you have one that's cheap please link below! My birthday is in 3 weeks and I saved up money! Please let me know your recommendations !!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You CANNOT put an Amazon, 2 Greys, a gcc, a sun conure, a quaker, and a black cap conure in the same aviary.

A high quality aviary is never going to be in your price range.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wasn't going to put all of them together, only some of the ones who get along ...
Your price range might get you an aviary that the gcc and black cap could be in, or the sun and quaker could be in (if nice with eachother, and supervised)

You will not be able to get anything sutiable for a grey or amazon in that price range.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
100-400 what? Euros, pounds, US dollars, Canadian dollars, Australian dollars...?

You might be able to get an aviary suitable for your smaller birds, but it definitely won't be stainless steel and it probably won't be big enough for more than a couple. You'll find it very difficult indeed to find something suitable for your bigger birds.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
This is a little off topic, but does anyone else feel like you shouldn't call something an aviary if you can't walk inside it and stretch out your arms?

When I think of an aviary, I am thinking of something room-sized, not cage-sized. A building or large enclosure that you can go inside at the same time as your birds. For a big cage, I prefer to say "flight cage", since it is a cage, but big enough to allow for short flights.

Of course, I have also seen the term "flight cage" used to describe some really tiny cages, so I suppose there is not much standardization regarding how these words are used.

Back on topic, are you looking for an indoor or outdoor aviary? What is the maximum size that will fit in your available space? Any other features you would like to have? What is the biggest bird that you plan on putting in the aviary? How about the smallest? That will be important for wire spacing and guage. Have you considered building your own enclosure?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a little off topic, but does anyone else feel like you shouldn't call something an aviary if you can't walk inside it and stretch out your arms?

When I think of an aviary, I am thinking of something room-sized, not cage-sized.
This is my definition also. I'm walking in, able to have arms out and I'm standing tall and there's still plenty of room for my bird too ;)

I have never seen an aviary for 100-400 anything. Especially one that will fit so many birds.

I have 6 birds. I'm planning on expanding my flock :) But I need an aviary to put them all

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I was considering the hexagon on Amazon for 400, but it's really just a large outdoor cage for one grey sized or a couple of small birds. If that's the one you had that broke, I will keep looking for something else.

It's going to be pretty expensive to find or build one big enough.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
What size are you looking for? This is what I think when I hear aviary.

View attachment 348127
^ yeah that is what I think of for an indoor aviary. Also, stainless steel is incredibly expensive esp if you want it as an aviary which is already gonna be pricey. I got something comparable but not a&e since it wasn't readily available near me. The absolute cheapest I think you'll find an aviary that size is around $800 and it won't be that brand, usually it's a few grand and it's not the best quality but it might fit your needs. For conures you'll need smaller bar spacing which not all aviaries have and for bigger birds it'll be challenging getting multiple that get along in what is (for a large parrot) still a small space if you're getting the indoor aviary type.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I couldn't find anything on eBay, in the price you want except one thing

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My cages are flyline… if there was another comparable brand on offer here in Aus then I definitely would not ever have a flyline cage. They’re cheap nasty knock offs of good brand cages and so many corners have been cut making these cages that they’re kinda painfully annoying to have.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank you for pointing that out! In my opinion you can't really buy a "cheap" aviary, I searched for cages for the OP and all the good ones are expensive because they are good, "you get what you pay for"