• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent VERY SICK BUDGIE

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
One of my budgies is seemingly pretty sick, I would take her to the vet, but for personal reasons, I can’t take her, and it may be a while til I can. I’m very worried she won’t make it and I’m wondering if anyone has any advice on what she might have and how I can help her. She been shaking and staying in generally the same place most of the day and sleeping a lot, she is eating, but her droppings are watery. She also was falling off her perches constantly, as if she couldn’t balance well anymore. I moved her into a well vented storage container (it has multiple mesh sides, so it should be fine) with one ladder (she can’t really fall from it) and food and fresh water. I didn’t want her getting my other birds sick. If anybody has any advice, please help, I’m super worried.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Best advice is figure out how to get her avian vet asap.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This sounds life threatening. When weak and falling and sleeping lots with runny stool. I hope you can get to a veterinarian for help

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
This sounds life threatening. When weak and falling and sleeping lots with runny stool. I hope you can get to a veterinarian for help
I’m working on it, but currently I’m having trouble finding a decent vet that’s open rn, I also need to figure out how to get her through the car ride, as she gets EXTREMELY stressed in the car, which in this state could easily kill her.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She is suffering so I cant understand that you do not take her to a vet. Keep her very warm and as comfortable as possible.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We can’t give you ideas or advice on what to do other than see a vet for her, no one can diagnose from a description and anything we’d suggest at this point would only be encouraging you to experiment on your bird while she’s deathly sick- everything would be a guess.

Sounds like she’s not going to make it without vet intervention so regardless of how stressed a car trip makes her, going in a car may be the only chance she has for survival.
I would call every vet available and ask for a payment plan if needed, if they can’t help ask them for other vet numbers- vets usually know what other vets are around or available.

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
We can’t give you ideas or advice on what to do other than see a vet for her, no one can diagnose from a description and anything we’d suggest at this point would only be encouraging you to experiment on your bird while she’s deathly sick- everything would be a guess.

Sounds like she’s not going to make it without vet intervention so regardless of how stressed a car trip makes her, going in a car may be the only chance she has for survival.
I would call every vet available and ask for a payment plan if needed, if they can’t help ask them for other vet numbers- vets usually know what other vets are around or available.
I’m trying, many vets around me are closed, I’m trying to get her to a vet as fast as I can though. Luckily she’s doing a bit better at the moment, which will hopefully get me enough time.

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
We talked to the vet over the phone, we were not able to see them in person sadly because they were completely booked. We talked to the vet over the phone a bit and he gave us some advice though. He said from how we described it she may not make it, treatment or not… that was earlier this morning though and she is seeming a bit better, we kind of just have to wait and see. I’m going to keep trying to get her in the vet as soon as possible though-

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
UPDATE: we brought her to the vet today, the vet looked at her and we ran some tests on her droppings. We weren’t able to get an exact diagnosis, but the vet gave us some general probiotics, antibiotics, and pain killers/anti inflammatory medication. We would have had more tests ran but that would have ended up costing $700+ (aka, way out of our budget) and we already spent almost $300 today. I really hope these will work and she will get better. On the car ride back she perked up a bit already (probably from the pain killers) so we just have to wait and see!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When the medication is finished you may consider