• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help for Grass Parrot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
It's wonderful to hear she's doing so well! :hug8:

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
"Why, hello my Lovely! Welcome home!"

I admit in these photos she looks miserable,
but I assure you she's lively and happy...the morning singing does warm my heart

(Also, please see my post on the previous page RE: the water, she and he both like too sleep on/in their water, and this was in the morning. It hadn't been changed in the photos as I felt too bad too kick her off of it straight away)

Ahhh just incase people don't flip back a page, this is what I wrote (as I can now see people will freak thinking I've left her outside with him etc)

"Here's some update shots,
Please excuse her horrid looking water, for some reason both her and the male like too sleep on/in their water dishes, and this was in the morning (so obviously it was changed).

We took her out and put her in this cage in the aviary safety cage (so there were two barriers between her and the male).
This was too see if it perked her up, we weren't going too release her, but just wanted too see if she'd "cheer up".
They were happily singing away too each other,
So we moved the cage into the aviary itself too watch them (we were RIGHT there).
He was trying too feed her, and she obliged...and then
he tried too grab her again. Thankfully he wasn't able too, but he REALLY wanted at her. To get it on I assume...
So, we removed her and she's back inside now, she was always going to end up back inside, it's way too cold out for an injured bird.
She was very happy too see him too start with, pity he had too ruin it.

The funny thing is, is now she likes US. She'll sit near us (even on the side she can see from) and isn't too phased anymore.

She hadn't been using the top sections of her cage, which is why I took her out for a "chat" with the ex, but now it seems maybe she just didn't know there was a "top of the cage", as now she's perched on the top, she came too the middle perch, cleaned her beak, had a preen, and is loving it now.

Her head is a big scab, there's no denying that. It's not pretty. But it's dry, and I guess over time will gradually flake off, and hopefully she will be able too grow her feathers back.

So, here she is, the lady herself, who is a massive pig and was loving her sprouts and salad today...I find it so sweet she likes the fresh and not the seed so much!

She's acting pretty well totally normal now, eats a lot, baths herself in her dish, grinds her beak for naps, preens like a crazy lady, sings in the morning etc

Okay actually, well,
Photobucket is being painful at the moment for some reason...so photos as soon as it lets me!"

Last edited:

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Poor baby!:sadhug: She doesn't look too happy but, at least she's healing and doing so well inside!:dance4:

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yeah once I uploaded the photos I realized she'd look miserable too anyone looking!
I'll have too get a video of her enjoying herself,

We're now going too put her in a larger cage, now we can see she's happy too perch etc and not just on the bottom.
Obviously then we won't move anything around so as too ensure she doesn't get confused if she's having trouble seeing.

I'm hoping her eye will end up opening as things progress

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad to hear shes perked up and is eating well, keep up the good work.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Hi Casey, unlike the Neophemas (Scarlet- Breasted, Turks, etc) and Neopsephotus (Bourkes), your Red-Rumped Parrots belong to the Psephotus genus of grass parrots. All species of Psephotus grass parrots are aggressive birds and they can be quite vicious, especially the cocks, even to their own kind as you have witnessed. Given that the hen was unable to escape the cock's voracity in a fairly substantial aviary with two good eyes, she will have virtually no chance with only one. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend releasing her back into the aviary with the cock. Based on your previous posts, given your hens refusal to mate with the cock and that these parrots are native to your area, it is most likely that your cock has seen and/or been visited by another hen he likes better. When this happens the cock will dispose of his current hen to advertise his availability to the new one. Don't be too harsh on the male though, it is part of their nature. I highly recommend acquiring a copy of "A Guide to Neophema & Psephotus Grass Parrots" put out by Australian Birdkeeper Publications, if you don't already have it. It one of the very few texts available that give us an insight into these wonderful birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.