• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help for Grass Parrot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Wow! :dance4:I hate to say what I was thinking/fearing:o: So glad it sounds like she'll be ok!:dance4:
:hug8:to you! I hope you feel better too!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Good news....you are doing a great job! Hang in there and try to relax a bit. You have had rough time and need to stay fresh:) :hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great to hear! I am so glad that she will be alright!

Matt

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad to hear shes doin ok.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone :hug8:

She isn't out of the clear yet,
She's a bit dazed at times, but I think that's her just trying too rest...I can't imagine the headache she must have.
We've been giving her sugar syrup every now and then, and she lovvvvves it. Hates us of course, being an aviary bird, but she adores the syrup, which makes our lives easier!
She's in a larger (though still small) cage now, and isn't trying too perch or do much, she's sitting on the bottom. I'm going to put a perch through that rests on the bottom for her (so she can stand on that),
She's resting a lot, but she's alert, she eats, she drinks, she poops, she sure as hell bites when you towel her, she's alert and looking around.
So whilst I don't want too 100% set myself on "she'll be right!" I'm not exactly expecting her too pass either. This is her fourth day, and she hasn't gotten any worse, I'd say better, than the first day.

Poor girl.

The male is having a sook outside. He's a bit mopey, and when he flies you can hear him call her. I feel bad for him, then I remember who's fault it is!

Also about how long they've been together,
they were together for a year before we got them,
and with us they've been together about 6 months or so,
They usually adore each other, and have to be together, and he's always feeding her. So I guess it really was breeding season gone horribly wrong.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe after shes all healed youll have to keep them with a barrier between so they can still see each other but no physical contact. Your doing great, she needs time and Im sure she will forgive you for having to towel her.:hug8:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She's doing a lot better now,
much more energy. She still chooses too sit on the perch on the bottom of her cage, but she's much more energetic.
She refused some sugar water last night, then hopped over and had a big long feed herself.

Her good eye is looking better now, for awhile there she was looking a bit dopey. It seems she may have lost her other eye. Any experience on how well birds do with one eye?

So yes, she's doing much better and I now feel she'll make her way good again!
Wish I could say the same for myself!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am sorry I missed this, but glad she is doing better. Sending positive energy for her continued improvement. I am so sorry you are personally going through a rough time. If you need someone to talk to, I am here. Please remember to take care of yourself.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm glad to hear she is doing better but I hope she hasn't lost an eye.
That said there are a couple members here who I seem to remember having a one-eyed bird, hopefully they will weigh in.

If I remember correctly the birds do fine and are fairly normal but can be started more easily from their blind side. Since they have monocular vision I would think they can't see that side at all, without turning their head and using their good eye.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi Sondra,

Thanks for the information,
That's just what I thought might happen,
I also just wondered if they found perching harder since they can only see one side?

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Casey, I hope the eye can be salvaged, but she will adjust if not. By saying she lost it, do you mean that the globe was punctured and is now deflated/sunken? My conure suffered a similar injury before I got her, and she does just fine with only one eye. :hug8:I do think it might be a little harder for a grass parrot, as they tend to fly more than climb, right? Lior is fine with perching and climbing (okay, occasionally she will fall off the end of a perch if she's not paying attention!), but flying is more difficult.. When I first got her, she would crash land all the time. But now she can judge distances better and knows to hover in the center of the room while she gets her bearings. Your bird will definitely be more vulnerable to further attacks, though, especially in a flock situation..

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
So glad she is doing better...what a scary thing to happen!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hoping she improves by the day.:hug8:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here's some update shots,
Please excuse her horrid looking water, for some reason both her and the male like too sleep on/in their water dishes, and this was in the morning (so obviously it was changed).

We took her out and put her in this cage in the aviary safety cage (so there were two barriers between her and the male).
This was too see if it perked her up, we weren't going too release her, but just wanted too see if she'd "cheer up".
They were happily singing away too each other,
So we moved the cage into the aviary itself too watch them (we were RIGHT there).
He was trying too feed her, and she obliged...and then :mad: he tried too grab her again. Thankfully he wasn't able too, but he REALLY wanted at her. To get it on I assume...
So, we removed her and she's back inside now, she was always going to end up back inside, it's way too cold out for an injured bird.
She was very happy too see him too start with, pity he had too ruin it.

The funny thing is, is now she likes US. She'll sit near us (even on the side she can see from) and isn't too phased anymore.

She hadn't been using the top sections of her cage, which is why I took her out for a "chat" with the ex, but now it seems maybe she just didn't know there was a "top of the cage", as now she's perched on the top, she came too the middle perch, cleaned her beak, had a preen, and is loving it now.

Her head is a big scab, there's no denying that. It's not pretty. But it's dry, and I guess over time will gradually flake off, and hopefully she will be able too grow her feathers back.

So, here she is, the lady herself, who is a massive pig and was loving her sprouts and salad today...I find it so sweet she likes the fresh and not the seed so much!

She's acting pretty well totally normal now, eats a lot, baths herself in her dish, grinds her beak for naps, preens like a crazy lady, sings in the morning etc:dancing:

Okay actually, well,
Photobucket is being painful at the moment for some reason...so photos as soon as it lets me!

Last edited:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Good to hear she's getting better. Samirah also really enjoyed getting scritches and being with me when she got sick, but that stopped once she felt better lol. Hopefully you have more luck on that! How horrible that her mate likes to do things violently.

Status
Not open for further replies.