• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help for Grass Parrot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh no! Your poor baby. Prayers and good thoughts that it is nothing serious. Let us know how it goes.

CKJ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Poor thing ~ I hope she's going to be alright. Please check in & let us know how she's doing.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Prayers for your little girl. Prayers that the vet will be able to help her right away. Prayers that she will make a complete recovery. We are here for you. Your vet can do a consultation with Dr. Burkett of Raleigh NC. Here's the link...

Veterinary Advice - Ask Dr. Burkett A Question Today!

Ginger

Last edited:

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
:omg: Poor baby! I hope she will be ok. Was this the same species as she is that did this to her? I would be a complete wreck....good luck with this sweet baby:hug8:

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
Checking in for an update :o:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm so sorry, that is very frightening to see. :sadhug2:
I hope she is doing okay.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Checking on your little one.:o:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH no just reading this....gosh it looks pretty bad....but hope not as bad as it appears...glad you are going to the vet...please update when you can. Sending tons of hugs adn prayers your way!:hug8:

myrka2004

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marina
:omg:I can't belived ...who does did that? :sad7:
Prayers to you :hug8:

Last edited:

Teasha

No news. I fear it is the worst. :(

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry everyone,

I've been having a hard time personally and been MIA.

The vet did clean her up and felt there was alot more matted feathering under the blood than it appeared at first, and he seems right. He didn't want to give antibiotics as he felt since the wound wasn't deep or dirty in the end, she should be okay. I was feeling a bit skeptical about it, but it's really, really, really easy to get into the vet here, so if I got home and didn't feel comfortable, I could go back and get things asap). It's stayed dry and doesn't appear too be sporting any infection so far. But of course any slight sign of anything and she'd be going straight back.
She's doing okay, we've been doing saline washes and she certainly has plenty of fight in her during that.
It seems the male was likely trying to get her into the nest, but she objected. I know it's "normal" for them too pluck the females feathers trying to get them in, but he really worked her over.

I'll try and get a photo today when I do her next wash. All I think when doing it is "thank god you're small!" I can't imagine doing it with a larger bird, or one that hurts when it bites!

She's eating and drinking, as well as going too the bathroom well. We're just now setting up a smaller cage for her to go into (and out of the "hospital carrier"). I'll still keep her inside in a warm room, and keep a really close eye on her.
She is very responsive, so that's great too see.
I'm hoping once moved into something she can move around a bit more in, she'll perk up even more. She doesn't seem to be having issues perching or moving, but if she seems clumsy in the end I'll put her back in something really small.

I'm really amazed how well she's doing

Thanks for all the love :heart::hug8:

I'd also like too add, she's a lil trooper...she has usual fresh food, and seeds...and she's eating all the fresh food!

Teasha

:dancing:YAY! I thought for sure... So glad for you! Sorry about your bad luck lately. :hug8:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Great update Casey, hopefully you can relax a bit and enjoy your weekend :)

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Aww, well sounds like she is doing good... keep it up little one!! Healing vibes coming your way!

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
So happy to hear that she's doing well! :dance5::dancing::laughing12:
I hope the progress continues and that she heals 100%!! :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Thanks for the update. Glad she is doing as well as she is (I was thinking the worst when I saw those pics, glad I was wrong) How are you doing, you have had it quite rough in the last few days? Chin up, sending good thoughts and hugs across the border to you

Status
Not open for further replies.