• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Update Post #62> UGH! Unexpected vet trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:( Wren is hurt....Im gonna kill my hubbys friend. :mad: He came over and was all loud and wearing a shiny silver shirt...well, the birds flipped out and went flying everywhere, screaming. Wren flew right into the window!:eek: I gathered her up and he comes over to talk to me, with that nasty shirt on and she wiggled free and flew into the window blinds. I gave my hubby a LOOK and he got his friend to go to the office...meanwhile Im trying to calm her down and check her all the while I have others flipping too. I put her on the bed and went to calm everyone else. I came back to her and shes gimping around bad. The leg isnt broken coz it moves but I think it badly sprained.?:huh: She wont put any weight on it ....its the leg that was broken too. I am sooooo P.O.'D right now. :mad: Here I was minding my own business cruisin the avenue...I called my back up vet coz my regular is outta town. We have an 11.30am appt. This was really un-nessecary and avoidable. Hubbys gettin an earful when friend leaves.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
re: UGH! Unexpected vet trip

Oh no,Im so sorry. I hope Wren will be ok.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)

oh no! :( I hope Wren is Ok, keep us posted tomorrow!:hug8:

chloe92us

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trisha

I hope Wren feels better tomorrow. Lesson for all: do not allow men wearing shiny silver shirts into your home under any circumstance. :omg:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan

Poor baby. Hope all is better tomorrow. Hubby's friend should pay the vet bill.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie

How is Wren doing? So sorry to hear this. I hope all is okay.

carkam

Avenue Veteran

:hug8::hug8:Hope she is ok!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Prayers for little Wren that her leg is not broken and that she doesn't have any internal injuries or a concussion.

Ginger

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

I do hope Wren will be ok!:hug8: Sending healing energy your way!
However, I do not see how it is this person's fault? How is he supposed to know a certain shirt would set your birds off? If there are color issues, and you have friends that visit, ask them to please refrain from wearing anything like this that upsets them. I certainly do not agree with the friend having to pay the vet bill.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

I hope Wren is okay, please keep us updated. Hugs for him!:hug8::hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Were back from the vet,,,its not looking good. :( I cried all the way home. Her femur is broken up near the hip joint and the hip is dislocated. This vet dosent feel comfortable doing a surgury to repair it, so I called my regular doctor and left him a voicemail. Dr. Driggers is gonna send him the x-rays and we will go from there. I have some decisions to make and hopefully Dr. Funk will have some insight. he will be in the office tomorrow. Shes in a small cushioned cage with a heating pad. We tell our friends not to wear certain colors and loud shirts, ect. when they come here. I guess this guy forgot, anyway, I would never ask him to pay the vet bill. But, Im still upset and thanks for listening everyone.:o:

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

That's horrible. Im so sorry to hear how bad her injury is. Many prayers are coming to your little one. I, being the woman that I am, would lack the strength and calm right now and I would give that guy a mouthful. :mad:. Are you going to have to do surgery? How do they fix a dislocated hip? I hope she heals quickly and with no complications. :( :hug8:

glaciermouse

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mandi

Oh no! Poor thing. I hope you hear better news soon. Please know that even if they aren't able to fix it, I have heard of plenty of birds that get around fine on one leg. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but I wanted to put it out there in case they don't feel surgery to fix it is an option.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy

I'm so sorry her leg is broken :( Keep us updated on what is happening. Thinking of both of you :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

I am so sorry your bird was injured this way. That is smart that you tell everyone before they visit. I assumed he just did not know.Sending lots of healing energy.:hug8:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan

Oh no!:( I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers and will be watching for updates.:hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley

Hope your baby is okay. Reminds me of a shiny dress I had that freaked my birds out. It was lying on the bed and Penelope panicked and flew. I got rid of it immediately, but it took several days for her to be comfortable in that room. We had to explore every inch together, to make sure the evil "snake dress" wasn't hiding somewhere. My DH is good about having his friends go to the back patio (where boys hang out) and not come through the house. He once had a friend over who refused to stop petting our OWA down the back - even when he was told not to. (He laughed when I told him to stop, and DH got his @$$ out of there before I ripped him a new one.) He is not allowed on our property if DH wants to stay married! Perhaps I'm just not very social, but I (like my WBC) am not fond of visitors in my home, apart from people I know well. If anyone new approaches Penny's cage I immediately tell people "she bites really hard - stay back" because they don't seem to listen as well if I say "she's scared." People generally don't know much about birds and how to deal with them - which is partially why I am so guarded. I'd say it's the husband's fault for not "handling" his friend.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel

I am so sorry she is not doing well. We are all praying for a full recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.