• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Uncomfortable lovebird?

Chica 8

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sara
Ive had my bird for almost a year now. My parents gave it to me to keep me company. Recently I've decided to try and tame/train him (I'm a little late on that yes, but I'm aware it isn't impossible). Sometimes when i try to take him out of the cage, he either ignores it completely or bites me. Other times he'll gladly get on my finger but I'd say its probably a 40% chance of him doing it out of his own will. How can I make him completely comfortable with going on my hand and leaving his cage? I'd like him to rather be comfortable being with me than making him feel like he has to go on me. He's a lovebird, if that helps. Thanks in advance :) -Sara

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
@fluffypoptarts, @LunaLovebird @Happynme .

I tagged some lovebird people for you.

Generally taming take quite a while. Weeks to months. Your best bet is to bribe your lovie. If you know your bird's most prized treat save that treat for training and interacting with you. When he is used to taking it from your hand you then make it so he has to put his foot on your hand to get the treat eventually working up to both feet. Many of us allow our birds to come out of their cages on their own then interact. All of my birds have a perch on the door that is outside the cage when the door is open and they all will go to that perch to be taken out of their cage.

Good luck with your lovie.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am going into my fourth months now with a female Lovebird and she is still biting me. Like said it can take months to years to tame a bird, especially female Lovebirds. You really cannot "make" a bird do anything they do not want to do. Any activity should be what the bird wants to do. I would work on perch training your bird first with the reward of millet held in your hand at the same time as the perch. Do you know by DNA that your bird is male? Males are easier to tame and not always as feisty.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would start by letting him come out of his cage by himself rather than sticking your hand in to get him out. The fact that he sometimes bites you when you do this should be enough to tell you he doesn't like it, and doing things he doesn't like isn't going to help. Just leave the door open and go about your business as if he's not there, so he'll feel a bit more comfortable adventuring. You could also have a bowl with some treats attached to the outside of his cage where he can see it from the inside to help convince him.

Once out, I would let him do his thing for a bit. You could start with getting him to step up on a perch if he is biting your fingers. Reward him when he does it with a treat from your hand if he'll take it (millet sprays are ideal for this if he won't take a seed from your fingers). If he is comfortable with your hands being near him, you could skip straight to stepping up on to your finger and rewarding that. Always use positive reinforcement. Reward the good, ignore the bad. They'll learn.

Working with him while he's in the cage is also a good idea. Offer him millet or something else he really likes that isn't part of his normal diet (sunflower seeds are often a big hit as well) through the bars, or place one into his food bowl while he watches. That will get him used to the idea that you aren't evil.

If he is completely skittish of you, and flies away when you approach him with anything, the best thing I found was to passively reward your bird for being close to you. I used to do this with Anakin when he was new to the house. I did this by removing the food bowls inside his cage and putting them on the outside, nearest where I was sitting, and added some treats. Eventually he was comfortable enough with eating from them, so I moved his food to the arm rest of my chair, and then eventually to my lap, and then I just had some food in my hand that he would eat from. I will say that he is still a very skittish bird, and won't step up or allow fingers to touch him unless it's on his terms. Still, he seems to enjoy the company of his people very mush, and will now take treats from my fingers, and ride around on my shoulder.

Rolanda

Bribes are a good idea. I have noticed with my little guy that lovies are also VERY inquisitive. Talk to him/her while he/she in the cage, play with your cell phone next to the cage. He do things while next to the cage. It the lovie hops on your finger it's a good start. Lovies can be nippy, don't let that discourage you. At least they are SMALL beaks. But do respect his/her space when it wants it.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everybody pretty much said it! I just wanted to add that your lovie is probably not impressed that NOW you want to pay attention and bond with him/her. You're going to have to work to earn that regard for sure after starting off on the wrong foot!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I agree with @fluffypoptarts it is going to take time. They are very smart and they can be very stubborn so you are going to have to work for it. They food driven so first things first you need to figure out what kind of treats your lovie likes and gets their attention. Once you have that down use that for your starting point to get him to come to you.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@metalstitcher Many are food-driven, but I apparently have ones that are love-driven, lol. Attention may be the preferred currency, but Chica will have to experiment to see which one her lovie is!