• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today My Budgie is, has, had, did???????

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Today was a big moment of trust for Ocean. When I did the usual ritual of putting my finger in the cage and saying "Scritch, scritch" Ocean came over right away as usual and beaked and tasted my finger but instead of then backing away so I couldn't touch him he came closer and touched his head to my finger and rested it there. If I moved my finger to give him a scritch he'd move away but if I just held it there he would touch his head to the end of my finger. So there we stood not moving, head to fingertip for about 30 seconds. It was so cute! I am very proud of him. And Charlie was on a perch nearby watching. :D

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Today was a big moment of trust for Ocean. When I did the usual ritual of putting my finger in the cage and saying "Scritch, scritch" Ocean came over right away as usual and beaked and tasted my finger but instead of then backing away so I couldn't touch him he came closer and touched his head to my finger and rested it there. If I moved my finger to give him a scritch he'd move away but if I just held it there he would touch his head to the end of my finger. So there we stood not moving, head to fingertip for about 30 seconds. It was so cute! I am very proud of him. And Charlie was on a perch nearby watching. :D

YAY OCEAN! Trusting and coming to you resting his head on your finger on his terms is a big step, what ever you are doing is working well for you both.

Looking forward to hearing about him letting big time scritching happening next, with pics! :)

Apollo Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
Usually on weekends or days where I get to sleep later, Apollo will play quietly by himself until I wake up to uncover him or MAYBE politely 'yell' once to get me to get up and open the blinds and things.

Not today though. Oh no. He sat there and yelled and yelled and yelled until I uncovered him and layed back down. And then he yelled and yelled and so I opened the curtains. He continued yelling as I fed him, cuddled him, played with him, and he even took a lap around the room (voluntarily? I couldn't even tell :facepalm: ) while yelling. Even while he was preening and happy-fluffing he kept 'yelling'. He must have woken up on the wrong side of the perch this morning o_O

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Usually on weekends or days where I get to sleep later, Apollo will play quietly by himself until I wake up to uncover him or MAYBE politely 'yell' once to get me to get up and open the blinds and things.

Not today though. Oh no. He sat there and yelled and yelled and yelled until I uncovered him and layed back down. And then he yelled and yelled and so I opened the curtains. He continued yelling as I fed him, cuddled him, played with him, and he even took a lap around the room (voluntarily? I couldn't even tell :facepalm: ) while yelling. Even while he was preening and happy-fluffing he kept 'yelling'. He must have woken up on the wrong side of the perch this morning o_O

Maybe Apollo bird is happy you now know she's not a HE and she wanted the world to know? :D

Yelling crazy and loud budgie behavior to me is a sure sign my budgie is happy and healthy, the fast zooming flights around the room and his buzzing and touching my hair or head is him being playful.

I love these types of days because it seems like my poor budgie is always moulting and feeling crappy because of the misery of the moult. Bring on the noisy happy budgie antics. ENJOY it. :)

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
SPX was in a crazy trouble making mood yesterday, he kept buzzing my head and touching my hair then screaming in joy when I yelled at him to stop. He then decided he was going to annoy Mr Peeper's at Peeper's cage, he would fly over the cage zooming past continuously then would stop and just sit on top of the cage.

Mr Peeper's HATES when SPX does this, Peepers starts PEEPING LOUD AND ANNOYING distress calls every 4 seconds and he won't shut up. :bash:<---- ME

I had to chase SPX off the cage but he would just come back so then I had to place some strange object on top of Mr Peeper's cage so SPX won't land there because SPX is afraid of any object he's never seen before on a landing zone. The problem is Mr Peeper's doesn't like the new object either so he continues to peep. LOUDLY!

It was one of those dayssss I'm sure you know what I mean. :facepalm:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I gave the boys zucchini this morning, I didn't have time to make it into cute little shapes and I don't have a spiralizer so I just cut it in half long ways and scored little slices and cross hatch chunks in it and stuck it in the cages.

Both Mr Peeper's and SPX ate a good chunk of it, which really surprised me because SPX hates anything new. :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's awesome! Can send them here for a week to show my boys how it's done? :rolleyes:

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I opened Banjo and Yua's cage door the other day, and Yua came out by herself and adventured for a bit, while Banjo just sat in the cage because he was too chicken to come out. Banjo has now earned the nickname "Chicken" :lol:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
That's awesome! Can send them here for a week to show my boys how it's done? :rolleyes:

I suggest you get a piggy canary that eats everything, once your boys see the little singer digging into every veggie you offer they will think they are missing out and want to eat what the piggy is eating.

Since Mr Peeper's arrived here SPX digs into veggies more than I've ever seen him eat before I know he sees Peeper's eating veg all the time and budgies are pretty much "monkey see monkey do" type birds, so when it comes to following actions of other birds eating drinking bathing they usually get in there and copy.

Come on Bm, wouldn't you love a little canary? A sweet nice little singing lovely canary that is the exact opposite of the evil Mr Peeper's? HUH? :rofl:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I opened Banjo and Yua's cage door the other day, and Yua came out by herself and adventured for a bit, while Banjo just sat in the cage because he was too chicken to come out. Banjo has now earned the nickname "Chicken" :lol:

How long have you had Banjo and Yua? Encourage the chicken to come out when Yua's out, leave the budgies favorite treat on top of the cage so when Yua is out munching the goodies on top of the cage the chicken aka Banjo will join her and eat as well. :)

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
How long have you had Banjo and Yua? Encourage the chicken to come out when Yua's out, leave the budgies favorite treat on top of the cage so when Yua is out munching the goodies on top of the cage the chicken aka Banjo will join her and eat as well. :)

I have had them for a looonnnnggg time. They just aren't very tame.
Banjo is a stubborn bird, but i'll try the millet thing anyway! :)

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I have had them for a looonnnnggg time. They just aren't very tame.
Banjo is a stubborn bird, but i'll try the millet thing anyway! :)

It doesn't matter if they are tame or not they can still come out of their home fly around and enjoy some activity if you allow them a safe time and place to do so, you just have to set the scene and let them do it. I've had rescue budgies that have never ever been out of their cage in their lives and were older birds, I left their cage door open for hours and left treats at the door and a perch or stick hanging out of the cage to lure them out it wasn't long before the budgies were out and flying and getting much needed exercise, it takes time for them to feel secure to do this but I'm sure you will be able to get the "chicken" to come out and join Yua and have fun eventually. :D

Good luck. :)

Apollo Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
So this morning I was distracted because of an ant problem I have, and somehow forgot to change out Apollo's food dish, although she had uneaten pellets and a small amount of seed left. When I got home today, I realized I hadn't fed her and hustled down to go change her food.

And I saw a completely empty food dish. I was floored and so excited! And then I looked at the bottom of the cage. And realized she picked almost every single pellet out of her food dish and dropped it onto the bottom of the cage and proceeded to finish her seed. I don't know if she actually ate any of the pellets or not. :rolleyes: Thank you, tiny bird, for creating another mess for me to clean! :dead:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
...And I saw a completely empty food dish. I was floored and so excited! And then I looked at the bottom of the cage. And realized she picked almost every single pellet out of her food dish and dropped it onto the bottom of the cage and proceeded to finish her seed. I don't know if she actually ate any of the pellets or not. :rolleyes: Thank you, tiny bird, for creating another mess for me to clean! :dead:
Have to give her credit for the silent protest. :lol:

Anna M

Meeting neighbors
On cold mornings, our budgies like to walk along the windowsill near their cage in the morning, and get the melting condensation. There's hardly anything, from a big human point of view, but they seem to really enjoy it, especially when they can scrape up against ice crystals.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I think SPX is happy Mr Peeper's lives here now, SPX is moulting (AGAIN or always) but he's flying and zooming around the den screaming and acting playful/happy.

He's a joy to interact with each morning, he throws me kisses and calls to me to get my attention while Mr Peeper's does the same thing. A little competition you say? maybe, but SPX shows no angst or anger towards the canary often they sit together inside SPX's large cage preening at the same time sitting on the same perch maybe 10 inches apart. SPX has no interest interacting with Peeper's, SPX had no interest interacting with another budgie mate he shared his cage with for a few years.

So he's just being SPX, laid back indifferent with not a care in the world but to show he's happy.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Every time I walk into the bird room, my budgies all freeze and fly away from whatever they were doing! To see what they do when I'm not around I have to tip-toe around the corner, and peer over at them. :)

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Every time I walk into the bird room, my budgies all freeze and fly away from whatever they were doing! To see what they do when I'm not around I have to tip-toe around the corner, and peer over at them. :)

Budgies are so suspicious :rofl: How many birds do you have?

Every evening my budgie waits till I am sitting far away from him and his cage, I'm usually reading a book I peak over at him and watch him while he will suspiciously eye me then jumps or slides down the bars of his cage to his food dish. He will eat with his head bobbing up and down every other second to watch I don't move and if I do move he will jump/fly back up to a high perch and sit there glaring at me for interrupting his meal. I like to read for an hour or so sitting still just to let him eat and not be nervous, whats funny is right after he eats he will come out of the cage and bug me while I'm reading. :facepalm:

Too afraid to eat when I'm near yet not afraid enough to come and annoy me after he eats. :shifty::rolleyes:

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Mr Peepers, I have seven birdies, and yes, I've posted pictures. I'll post some tonight when I get home from school!