• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today My Budgie is, has, had, did???????

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
SPX had a 5 minute PUKE and HURL fest where he threw up over and over again and of course tossed his head so there is seed spew all over the wall behind the cage and stuck on all the bars in the cage.

YUCK. Now I have to clean it. YUCK :wtf:

What surprises me is how happy he is after all that hurling happened, he sings and dances around bobbing his head and screams at me. Birds.......go figure. o_O

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Today I tried to trick Apollo into eating his pellets in the morning, when he was most hungry....he threw them at me. :rolleyes:

I did manage to coax him out of his cage a few inches with some seed, though. :lol:
may I ask why pellets an easy way for him to get fresh vegies in him is chopp them very fine add and mix a few seeds in it mashed sweet potato same mix a few seeds in it turnip same carrots same he will im sure get the seeds but also soon start eating vegies caus he will cet the tast of it from the seed
I wish Mango would eat seed cause then I would do same toget him on fresh things but he wont eat seed
by son I told him to do this now his 2 budgies eat every thing pellets are not near as good as vegies

only way he eats vegies is in birdie bread
you could try putting the pellets in the bullet grind it to powder and add seed to it also it just might help

remove the seeds at bed time so Apollo is hungry in the morning

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Today SPX decided he was in an awesome mood and proceeded to zoom flying around the den like a DF-18 Hornet. He must have scared Mr Peepers because Peepers took off to his cage and watched the action staying well away from the turbulence and refused to budge even after SPX sat on top of his cage eating Peeper's seeds.

I love when SPX is noisy boisterous and flying around like a yahoo, he's been a joy to watch lately. :)

Apollo Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
may I ask why pellets an easy way for him to get fresh vegies in him is chopp them very fine add and mix a few seeds in it mashed sweet potato same mix a few seeds in it turnip same carrots same he will im sure get the seeds but also soon start eating vegies caus he will cet the tast of it from the seed
I wish Mango would eat seed cause then I would do same toget him on fresh things but he wont eat seed
by son I told him to do this now his 2 budgies eat every thing pellets are not near as good as vegies

only way he eats vegies is in birdie bread
you could try putting the pellets in the bullet grind it to powder and add seed to it also it just might help

remove the seeds at bed time so Apollo is hungry in the morning
I'm trying to get him to eat pellets because I've read on pretty much every site that they are healthy for him. I am trying to get him to eat his mash/fruits and veggies too, but pellets were the only one I mentioned. (I recently switched over to Nibble sized Roudybush, and I think he miiiiggghhhttt be eating them? But I don't know for sure yet!)

Threw them at you? like SPIT them at you? :lol:

Not quite; he looked me in the eye, reached down, and just tossed it at me. Didn't get far because he's just a tiny bird, but he sure did try :lol:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Sometimes I saw pellets flying by me (which made me think I was being shot at by my mean budgies) the pellets would land outside the cage because the budgies couldn't maneuver them in their beak due the to size of the pellet and it being star or flower shaped.

I got a different brand of smaller rounder pellets (Harrison's) and found there were no pellets flying at me or landing on the floor outside the cage anymore. :)

If your budgies putting them in his mouth he is trying to eat them despite them falling your way which is a good sign. :D

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I was worried about SPX back in October when his cage mate died, I debated a long long time about getting him another budgie buddy but really I didn't want any more birds and I was lucky that SPX had been a loner from day one when I brought him home so his losing his cage mate didn't affect him much, he flew out of the cage came to my desk to steal things from me while I worked and interacted with me as usual.

What I didn't expect was SPX being jealous NOW, he's not angry or mean to Mr Peepers at all, he's very tolerant and doesn't go near the canary but when Peeper's is out flying early in the am SPX wants out of his cage too and wants to fly as well. When Peeper's sings and tries to get my attention SPX is in there like a loud bull horn calling to me and getting in my face so I interact with him one on one and speak only to him. WHO KNEW?

I've been spending a lot more one on one time with SPX and its been fun to see him this way. :)

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Not today, but the other night Bella and Dobby demolished the tops of their broccoli, making it look like leafless green trees! :roflmao::hehe: I love it when those two eat their veggies!

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Not today, but the other night Bella and Dobby demolished the tops of their broccoli, making it look like leafless green trees! :roflmao::hehe: I love it when those two eat their veggies!

I love when they dig in and really demolish a veggie, Good Bella and Dobby. :)

Hey WL? have you ever given zucchini to your budgies?

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
No, I have never tried to give them zucchini. Is that something that your budgie likes?

My budgies are really good eaters, they will eat just about anything I give them. But they love green and leafy stuff most. :roflmao:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
No, I have never tried to give them zucchini. Is that something that your budgie likes?

My budgies are really good eaters, they will eat just about anything I give them. But they love green and leafy stuff most. :roflmao:

I wish SPX was like your birds, he's so suspicious of some things. I've never offered it to him before he likes most greens but unfortunately I can't get my hands on any dandelion greens the last 3 or more weeks (which is his favorite) and I am stumped trying to think of new things to offer him and Peepers.

Apollo Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
I wish Apollo was like your birds too WL! He won't even think about touching anything besides his seeds and millet, it seems. :rolleyes:

Also, I love your birds' names, they're perfect :laughing12:

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Apollo Bird and Mr Peepers, when you give your birdies new foods to try, will they taste them, or just ignore them? That was the biggest (and still sometimes is) problem with giving new foods, because they would just ignore them. The way I got them to try the new foods, was by covering it with some seed, or mixing it with something else they liked. They would go to eat the food that they knew they liked, and when they accidentally got a taste of the other new food, they would discover that is tasted good and eat it. Now they give pretty much anything a try, and most of the time like it. :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Apollo Bird and Mr Peepers, when you give your birdies new foods to try, will they taste them, or just ignore them? That was the biggest (and still sometimes is) problem with giving new foods, because they would just ignore them. The way I got them to try the new foods, was by covering it with some seed, or mixing it with something else they liked. They would go to eat the food that they knew they liked, and when they accidentally got a taste of the other new food, they would discover that is tasted good and eat it. Now they give pretty much anything a try, and most of the time like it. :)
Boy, I wish my boys would get to that point! So far they only take tiny little nibbles of any veggies I offer no matter how I disguise it. I know they are not eating enough to make any difference. They are very good at digging through it to only eat what they want. But I keep trying. Tonight I crushed some 'Just Veggies' in with their nightly seed and pellets. They're looking at each other as if to say, "What did she do that for?" :cautious: I also added some (whole) to their toy boxes and am curious to see what they do next time they play.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Good news though! I have a water bowl as well as a water bottle in their cage and they have consistently been drinking from both! They don't drink every day from the bottle but it is consistent enough for me to know they 'get it', like it and use it! I'm very happy about that in case I ever have to rely on the water bottle for some reason. I know they will stay hydrated. What I did was in the morning I would take their water bowl out for an hour or so and just leave the bottle. Now they use both. At last success with something important. :leslieatwork:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue

It looks like fear of anything new is the first obstacle with SPX trying some foods, his cage mate was great at eating anything I offered but even when she was eating the food he would refuse. Odd because usually if one budgie is eating something another or others will join in but not this guy.

I've scattered millet all over new foods but he just won't try certain things.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Good news though! I have a water bowl as well as a water bottle in their cage and they have consistently been drinking from both! They don't drink every day from the bottle but it is consistent enough for me to know they 'get it', like it and use it! I'm very happy about that in case I ever have to rely on the water bottle for some reason. I know they will stay hydrated. What I did was in the morning I would take their water bowl out for an hour or so and just leave the bottle. Now they use both. At last success with something important. :leslieatwork:

That is good news about them using the bottle, if you have to travel anywhere water-cups/dishes are a pain to have in their travel carrier or cage. A bottle is perfect for journey's and keeping the cage or carrier dry.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
A water bottle with a one-way demand valve means the bird always has clean water available. Using a bowl, the bird's tendency to accidently foul the water makes access to clean water iffy.