• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today My Budgie is, has, had, did???????

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That's the problem, he had a few black seeds last week when I goofed up and forgot to remove SPX's dish of seeds in his cage. We saw the vet 5 days ago and got his beak trimmed and now I will have to take him back for another look on and trim this Friday because his beak grew 1/4 of an inch in 5 days. :( :( :(

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

I swear its so agonizing getting him in a good state with his diet and one slip up and he falls back hard.

Really don't think a few black seeds can make him the Pinocchio of canaries. I know you try very hard to manage his diet. Hope you are getting the best advise.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Really don't think a few black seeds can make him the Pinocchio of canaries. I know you try very hard to manage his diet. Hope you are getting the best advise.

Its the seeds, if he eats the few light colored ones I give him and tons of fresh greens and sprouted seeds and harrisons he seems stable with little growth but one little mess up with him eating the rich black seeds and his liver takes a serious hit.

I've taken him to another avian and had the same diagnosis after $$$ tests. Diet and milk thistle was the answer by the new avian as well as keeping him active, the little freak fly's all day back and forth and is active but I guess the damage was done a long while back. Who knows what the outcome will be. :(

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its the seeds, if he eats the few light colored ones I give him and tons of fresh greens and sprouted seeds and harrisons he seems stable with little growth but one little mess up with him eating the rich black seeds and his liver takes a serious hit.

I've taken him to another avian and had the same diagnosis after $$$ tests. Diet and milk thistle was the answer by the new avian as well as keeping him active, the little freak fly's all day back and forth and is active but I guess the damage was done a long while back. Who knows what the outcome will be. :(

Heard the milk thistle extract can really boost & regenerate the liver. It's a concentrated standardized form not just plant & seeds but they can't hurt.
How old is the Peepster? I know he had a challenging young life before you got him. Poor Guy.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Heard the milk thistle extract can really boost & regenerate the liver. It's a concentrated standardized form not just plant & seeds but they can't hurt.
How old is the Peepster? I know he had a challenging young life before you got him. Poor Guy.

Mr Peepers will be 2 in June, he's had a ton of issues to deal with when I got him in October 2014. Air sac and scaly leg/feet mites, he couldn't sing he could hardly peep. I knew there was liver issues back then with the beak overgrowing.. then he was losing weight so he was on meds for that. After getting those problems stabilized it was aloe detox time but I didn't see much difference with that so it was on to milk thistle extract.

He's been on it for 3 weeks and it looked good, hardly any growth on his beak until the black seed mix up last week. I'm so put out by the set back. It seems like its 2 steps forward 5 steps backwards and fall on my butttttt FAIL time. :(

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Mr Peepers will be 2 in June, he's had a ton of issues to deal with when I got him in October 2014. Air sac and scaly leg/feet mites, he couldn't sing he could hardly peep. I knew there was liver issues back then with the beak overgrowing.. then he was losing weight so he was on meds for that. After getting those problems stabilized it was aloe detox time but I didn't see much difference with that so it was on to milk thistle extract.

He's been on it for 3 weeks and it looked good, hardly any growth on his beak until the black seed mix up last week. I'm so put out by the set back. It seems like its 2 steps forward 5 steps backwards and fall on my butttttt FAIL time. :(

:hug8::hug8:Just remember he is doing better since being with you. Many people wouldn't even try.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You are not failing Peepers. Have you considered using a seed mix for the budgie without the "bad" seeds? Using such a mix would eliminate those feeding accidents.

Milkthistle is good and powerful for liver problems. My 17 y/o Tiel, Mindy has had moderate liver failure for 7 years. Mindy began laying eggs again after starting the med, fertile eggs! She surprised us with MJ, whose egg Kim somehow escaped refrigerating. A year later we allowed Mindy and Noel hatch two more tiels for my flock. She is still producing fertile eggs we abort by 12 hrs of refrigeration.

You are doing your best for Peepers. That is all you can do.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You are not failing Peepers. Have you considered using a seed mix for the budgie without the "bad" seeds? Using such a mix would eliminate those feeding accidents.

Milkthistle is good and powerful for liver problems. My 17 y/o Tiel, Mindy has had moderate liver failure for 7 years. Mindy began laying eggs again after starting the med, fertile eggs! She surprised us with MJ, whose egg Kim somehow escaped refrigerating. A year later we allowed Mindy and Noel hatch two more tiels for my flock. She is still producing fertile eggs we abort by 12 hrs of refrigeration.

A big thumbs up on Milkthistle. Ziggy Tiel also had liver imbalances,and found relief with it. She also began laying eggs,which shocked us all....

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue

How long have you been giving milk thistle drops to Mindy? Has she been on this medication for a very long time? Does the liver ever get better that you can stop the meds or is it a life time thing for her?

I don't know about changing the seed mix to accommodate SPX and let Peepers eat in the big cage, canaries are incredible pigs so I know this little bird will sit there and sit there and sit there and just eat non stop. I don't want to encourage the piggy canary to eat everywhere he goes its still seeds and its not doing him any good in the long run. Thanks for the idea anyway. :)

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
So today SPX has shown he's reached his limit as far as allowing Peepers in the big cage.

For a while today SPX's has he's been flying like a snow bird show bird jet plane all over the den making sure to zoom past or buzz over top of Peepers little fat head, its a little too close for comfort so the little big canary flees from the cage. After watching this a few times too many for my comfort I locked SPX in his cage while Peepers hang out in his cage and looks sad because he's ejected from the big cage and can't sit and play with a toy he adores.

A shopping I must go to duplicate some toys. :facepalm:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Mindy has been on the med for seven years. She is a rescue and came to me with kidney and liver problems. The kidney probs corrected themselves, but vet says the liver failure is permanent. Dr Stern is amazed a 17 y/o bird with liver probs is still producing viable eggs.

So am I!

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Mindy has been on the med for seven years. She is a rescue and came to me with kidney and liver problems. The kidney probs corrected themselves, but vet says the liver failure is permanent. Dr Stern is amazed a 17 y/o bird with liver probs is still producing viable eggs.

So am I!

Wow, impressive she's still producing eggs. Shame about the liver failure, but despite that she sounds like she's doing well. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Do you still give milk thistle to your Ziggy? Does she have to have it all her life?

Ziggy passed a few years ago. She came to us from a person who rescued dogs. Ziggy was kept at a local university by some students, but they left her there over Christmas break. Cleaning staff heard her chirping,and one of them got in touch with the lady at the dog rescue. We adopted Ziggy from her. She named her "Zig-Zag" because she had an overgrown beak.
We shortened her name to Ziggy. When we took her to the vet, her tests came back showing positive for liver damage- that's when the vet recommended the milk thistle.
We gave it to her all the rest of her life, and it did help her a lot. Along with laying eggs, the rapid growth of her beak slowed tremendously...;)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So today SPX has shown he's reached his limit as far as allowing Peepers in the big cage.

For a while today SPX's has he's been flying like a snow bird show bird jet plane all over the den making sure to zoom past or buzz over top of Peepers little fat head, its a little too close for comfort so the little big canary flees from the cage. After watching this a few times too many for my comfort I locked SPX in his cage while Peepers hang out in his cage and looks sad because he's ejected from the big cage and can't sit and play with a toy he adores.

A shopping I must go to duplicate some toys. :facepalm:

Poor Mr Peepers but SPX has put up with so much, still its sad they may need separate out times. Maybe it was just a bad day for SPX but getting Mr Peepers his favorite toy is a good idea.

:omg:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Ziggy passed a few years ago. She came to us from a person who rescued dogs. Ziggy was kept at a local university by some students, but they left her there over Christmas break. Cleaning staff heard her chirping,and one of them got in touch with the lady at the dog rescue. We adopted Ziggy from her. She named her "Zig-Zag" because she had an overgrown beak.
We shortened her name to Ziggy. When we took her to the vet, her tests came back showing positive for liver damage- that's when the vet recommended the milk thistle.
We gave it to her all the rest of her life, and it did help her a lot. Along with laying eggs, the rapid growth of her beak slowed tremendously...;)

Thanks for the details about Ziggy being on MT and how it helped her I appreciate any advice about milk thistle and what I have to look forward to with Peepers.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Poor Mr Peepers but SPX has put up with so much, still its sad they may need separate out times. Maybe it was just a bad day for SPX but getting Mr Peepers his favorite toy is a good idea.

:omg:

I'm hoping its just a bad day for SPX, he's moulting like a feather pillow gone
so he might be moody or impatient. I was pretty surprised how pushy he was acting today, he's been so good for more than a month with no issues since the Peepers started hanging out in the cage with him.

Peep's knew something was up today too, his cage door was open all afternoon but he didn't bother to come out and check out SPX's cage and look for some stray seeds anywhere, that's not like the little bandit. :(

Peepers has the exact same toy in his cage but his toy is yellow. When he's in SPX's cage he loves the exact purple toy so maybe I will buy another purple toy and put it in SPX's cage and see if that helps.

Gee's I'm a damn bird psychologist here trying to think like a bird. :rofl:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'm hoping its just a bad day for SPX, he's moulting like a feather pillow gone
so he might be moody or impatient. I was pretty surprised how pushy he was acting today, he's been so good for more than a month with no issues since the Peepers started hanging out in the cage with him.

Peep's knew something was up today too, his cage door was open all afternoon but he didn't bother to come out and check out SPX's cage and look for some stray seeds anywhere, that's not like the little bandit. :(

Peepers has the exact same toy in his cage but his toy is yellow. When he's in SPX's cage he loves the exact purple toy so maybe I will buy another purple toy and put it in SPX's cage and see if that helps.

Gee's I'm a damn bird psychologist here trying to think like a bird. :rofl:

Arrrh poor Peepers & SPX...I guess even birds have there good & bad days

:hug8: