• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming of Bobi & Popi

atancred

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
Hi everyone!
So 10 days ago I brought home from the pet shop my first 2 budgies ever (1 male & 1 female, both born end 2019).
I can already have them on my fingers if I offer them some food, particularly millet! Today I was able to let the female fly around the room a bit and then she successfully flew back into the cage alone. Very happy about these progresses!
However, I was wondering about their behaviour sometimes. At the pet shop they told me they already were a couple, but sometimes I have the impression that in addition to the normal loving and caring behaviour, they also might show a repulsive-like behaviour one to another, such as feet biting, jumping onto another’s back and very loud squawking.
I assume this might be due to the adaptation period still?
Also, the male seems to excessively search for the female attention, and on the other side she has a very dark cere. Maybe they both are in a “particularly exciting” moment of their tiny lives?
Just hypotheses. Maybe someone can share their opinion about it.
Anyways, you can see both bobi&popi happily feeding on millet from my fingers in the pics attached
:bliss:Have a nice day/evening everyone.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
, they also might show a repulsive-like behaviour one to another, such as feet biting, jumping onto another’s back and very loud squawking.
I assume this might be due to the adaptation period still?
Also, the male seems to excessively search for the female attention, and on the other side she has a very dark cere. Maybe they both are in a “particularly exciting” moment of their tiny lives?
Sounds hormonal.
Birds step up on the others back to mate. If they lose balance they may squawk, flap and fall off. They will learn in the end how it all works.
Be prepared for eggs, either buy a bunch of fakes or be ready to boil them and replace. Though I have read here on the forum that some don´t use dummy eggs at all. Maybe @PoukieBear would be better to give you egg tips :)

atancred

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
Thank you. I see sometimes the female on top of the male, which seems odd to me, but maybe it is a normal bird’s behaviour.