• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SUDDENLY AGRESSIVE COCKATIEL- HELP!!!!

sydneytiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
Hello! I'm having troubles with one of my tiels, Sydney. He's a male and about 9 months olds, and I've had him since he was barely a month old because his parents couldn't feed him. The problem is that he lately doesn't let me pet him (which he used to love) and bites me. I'm really worried because this behaviour only happens with me because with everyone else is perfectly normal! This has reached a point where today he "attacked" me, he bit my lips and fingers hard with his wings open. What else can I do?? I feel like I've tried everything!
Ps. I don't know if its important information but I have two other tiels, with who he doesn't have any problems.
Thank you all a lot!!!!!

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Have you towlled him to clip his nails etc.? Are his wings clipped? Could there possible have been a loud noise that he blames you for?
Are the two other tiels new, or have they been with you for awhile?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you changed anything? Hair, glasses, nail polish, etc?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are his wings clipped?
Cutting a birds ability to fly is not a good solution here. It will only frustrate your bird and you further. I am with @Ripshod on this one. Your cockatiel is the right age for hormonal surges. There are a few things you can do but mostly it is a matter of patiently waiting for the surge to resolve, and it will in time.

In the meantime try rearranging the cage interior, move it to a different location, increase sleeping time about 1 to two hours and no feeding of soft warm foods.

Stick-train your parrot. This is very important. You don't want to handle a hormonal parrot, as they can bite very hard.
Decrease the amount of light your bird gets every day. Ensure that your pet is getting 11-12 hours of darkness per night.
Increase level of exercise, in the way of flying

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Cutting a birds ability to fly is not a good solution here. It will only frustrate your bird and you further. I am with @Ripshod on this one. Your cockatiel is the right age for hormonal surges. There are a few things you can do but mostly it is a matter of patiently waiting for the surge to resolve, and it will in time.

In the meantime try rearranging the cage interior, move it to a different location, increase sleeping time about 1 to two hours and no feeding of soft warm foods.
I'm actually thinking @sunnysmom may be right. I have personal experience of what happens when your appearance changes. In my case it was a 5 day beard, and once shaved the bad behaviour disappeared.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)

Stick-train your parrot. This is very important. You don't want to handle a hormonal parrot, as they can bite very hard.
Decrease the amount of light your bird gets every day. Ensure that your pet is getting 11-12 hours of darkness per night.
@Lady Jane sorry, I think there’s been a misunderstanding, I meant that sometimes clipping wings can cause aggression. I am 100% against clipping unless it is for an absolutely necessary medical reason.

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana
Have you towlled him to clip his nails etc.? Are his wings clipped? Could there possible have been a loud noise that he blames you for?
Are the two other tiels new, or have they been with you for awhile?
No I haven't and his wings aren't clipped (I could never, I'd feel like I'm taking away a part of him), and he's been with the other two tiels for a while. Maybe the noise? But I don't know what that could be!

Last edited:

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana

Okay thank you! I'm thinking it's a mix of his teenager moody fase and my new red nails hahahah He's my first male tiel and you can be sure my girls weren't such rebels!
I will try all the tips you have said, but seriously thank you all (@budgieluv3, @Ripshod, @Lady Jane, @sunnysmom)

I'm way more relaxed now :)