• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Is he taking the treats directly from you? Or after setting them down? Just want to be clear.

I do think it is possible to form a bond with him.. but something that would take time. It may never be the same as how he acts with your husband or father, but still possible.

He takes treats from my hands, but if I'm not paying attention, he will bite my finger & I have to hold the treat far enough so he has to reach for it or he will go for my fingers instead. He doesn't always want to take the treat either, sometimes he will just stare at me with pinning eyes, if he does that I usually just say okay & leave him be. Bundi, on the other hand (the female) she will 100% of the time take treats from me, even if she decides she doesn't like it & drops it. She's very cafe territorial, but such a free spirit, whistling & talking, just doing her own thing. Would love to bond with her. Our goal is to one day be able to harness train them like our other birds & take them with is, we are a very outdoorsy couple & the summer months would be wonderful to include our birds.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I really think you ought to take a step back with Cesar and just dropping the treat into a bowl for him so he feels less pressure from taking it from you directly. :)

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Okay. I will start doing that. Last night I walked by him on his stand while getting their bowls to clean before bedtime & I didn't realize I was close to him & he lunged & got me in the back of the head. I tried to not react & just went along with my business. Its just so disheartening.. I am about $5k deep into these birds & just want so badly to love them & bond with them. Cesar absolutely hates my guts.. breaks my heart :crycry:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@BigSkyMT this is why I believe it is possible to change Cesar's behavior. Please read about Rocky.

To put into perspective just how amazing this is... it helps to know a bit about Rocky's past.

You may be interested in some of her videos. Coffee with the Critters often has a lot of great info or even just some regular stuff, too.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Okay. Thank you so much! Can't wait to get off work to check it out. Thank you!!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Lara Joseph is amazing! I watched all her videos, studied her website and was actually able to contact her & am going to set up a web session with her to get help with Cesar. Its costly, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything. I have great faith in her because of what she went through with Rocky the cockatoo, he "was" much worst than Cesar is now. Seeing Rocky is so inspiring. He's a happy cockatoo now and living his best life! So hopefully next month when she has openings, I can connect with her through video chat and I can make some progress with Cesar. Thank you so much for sharing her. She is truly amazing!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There are some other great behaviorists and trainers out there! I've known her, kind of, since before she became a trainer, and how she got into birds is amusing! But you could say I'm envious as well how she has turned her passion into a carrier! Absolutely amazing!

I wasn't sure if she would be able to do consultations in light of recent events, but I think it's great if she can help you with Cesar! :heart: