• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent small poops? no more morning poops? slight weight gain?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
my parrot is slowly molting at the moment (this has been going on for a while cos she’s molting one body part at a time)

a few days ago i noticed that her poops were smaller than usual i also weighed her and saw her morning weight was 123g instead of the usual 121g and it has been 123g since.
i thought she was constipated or something because she has been before (last time she nervous pooped it all out at the vet and her weight went back to normal) so the first day i noticed i gave her a warm bath and soaked her bum in it for a while then i think it got a bit better? cos she was pooping a bit more frequently but they were still small and her weight was still the same…
her poops thankfully still look healthy the size is the only thing that’s different.

she also hasn’t been doing her big morning poops that i always see her doing as soon as she gets out of her cage which i find really odd…

she’s been acting normal, eating well, sleeping well although she has been more aggressive lately but i’m sure that’s just because of the molt.
i’ve also been dog sitting for a few days so maybe it’s because of that? the dog has gone now so i hope she goes back to her usual self.

I’m hoping it’s not an egg because i’ve been there before and it was too stressful:arghh: but i have heard that birds who are going to lay an egg usually do big poops and if it was an egg she would’ve put a lot more weight on by now and would’ve been showing more hormonal behaviour..
what do you guys think? what are the signs of if a parrot is going to lay an egg?

also how big do indian ring neck poops usually be?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's really rare to have constipation, birds excrete the kidney waste and intestines waste from same place. It's usually an egg that can back things up. Or less food eaten equals less poop
Could she be doing morning poop before you let her out?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
It's really rare to have constipation, birds excrete the kidney waste and intestines waste from same place. It's usually an egg that can back things up. Or less food eaten equals less poop
Could she be doing morning poop before you let her out?
How do I know if she’s having an egg? How long does an egg take to form? Her weight has only increased by 2g since the last few days so I’m sure if it was an egg she would’ve gained more weight by now right?

I let her out as soon as she wakes up. There does be a lot of poop in her cage so yeah maybe she does it all before I open her up. It’s just weird that she doesn’t do it anymore…

She eats the same amount and the frequency of her poops is the same they’re just smaller and I don’t know why.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Update! I’ve finally seen one normal sized poop!! Wow I never thought I’d ever be this relieved over a poop parrots really do change a girl LOL
Hopefully they all be like that now! Fingers crossed..

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Put clean paper in at bedtime. In the morning you will know if she poops before you let her out.
Keep weighing her every day for a week to see if she loses or gain. Something could have had her eating less for a few days and now has sorted itself out. Whenever I am concerned I weigh daily to see if they loose. And watch for anything off. Then go back to my weekly or twice monthly weigh ins.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Put clean paper in at bedtime. In the morning you will know if she poops before you let her out.
Keep weighing her every day for a week to see if she loses or gain. Something could have had her eating less for a few days and now has sorted itself out. Whenever I am concerned I weigh daily to see if they loose. And watch for anything off. Then go back to my weekly or twice monthly weigh ins.
Update! She did a morning poop! And a lot more of her poos have been a decent size since the last update! I have been weighing her everyday / every few days since she had eggs in June and her morning weight has always been 121g with only some days being 122-124g but since the last few days her weight has been 123g in the morning and hasn’t been any under. I’m guessing it’s all normal, I will be checking everyday and if it does go up I’ll know we have a problem :meh:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Awesome update!
Weight is a good tool, but always take everything in to consideration.
But this is great news , and sounds like everything is ok!