• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep perch??

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
My bird keeps sleeping intertwined with a foraging toy he demolished. It is (almost) winter here and my room can get cold some nights. I want him to be able to snuggle with a toy/perch made for that, but I heard tents can make him hormonal. (No egg laying, he’s a boy.) What should I do?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I want him to be able to snuggle with a toy/perch made for that,
If you are looking for something safe, there´s those dolly things I have seen some peoples birds enjoying (I would get one but can´t find any in my country)
@DoubleTake Please could you post a pic of Loki and her dolly ?

My youngest has snuggle corner I bought from an AA vendor, I monitored him very closely to make sure he didn´t chew or preen it, and luckily he doesn´t, he snuggles in to it to sleep.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You would have to try it and see. Monitor him closely to make sure he's not ingesting it. Did you already post about the seagrass thing recently? I looked around and found @Matto sells one on his site for cheaper ;)

Here's my cozy corner,
Screenshot_20201203_224657.jpg

I would take a look at the foraging toy and make sure there's no loops or loose threads.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Lady who makes them for the bird store calls them polly dollies this the small one. The boys(Sun conures) have one the size of them.
20201203_140803.jpg

conureluv

I googled “Polly dollies” and nothing came up. Did you get this from Petsmart/petco/any major pet store, or a local one? If so, do they have another name?

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I googled “Polly dollies” and nothing came up. Did you get this from Petsmart/petco/any major pet store, or a local one? If so, do they have another name?
Its a local store that ha 3 locations here in Southern California. They do ship if you call the Brea store. Their site is still being worked on and may be a bit dated.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Here is the boys in their sleep cage. They were like what the heck, the sun is still out! They make an even bigger one for larger birds.
20201203_145248.jpg

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My conure, Casey, likes to sleep next to this - he is not a cloth chewer.

My previous quaker liked the cozy corners.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Birds don't need a hut- just provide a perch and they'll be fine. If you think the bird seems a bit cold, just bump up the temperature a few degrees.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Lady who makes them for the bird store calls them polly dollies this the small one. The boys(Sun conures) have one the size of them.
View attachment 364477
A friend made a bunch of these for me...I need to make more. I have platforms in their cage with a snuggly over the top so they can lay on the platform under the strips. Most of them do so.

Also, if you are worried about chill, I recommend a heat panel. I use mine for my sick and elderly.

jarcher107@aol.com is with the parrot posse and sells the avitech panels. They are awesome.

conureluv

I’ll probably buy one of the Snuggle pieces of fabric. Considering the money amount and how it won’t be dangerous (if I watch him and not make it “perch”able) it’s probably the only choice I’ll have if I don’t get a hut.