• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sick + underweight cockatiel, please help.

OldDirtyTshirt

Moving in
Hello!
I have an eight-month-old female cockatiel, Zazie Butter-Noodle :swoon:, and she is currently on antibiotics for an infection(Her poop is watery too, I hope it will be better when her antibiotics are finished).
The avian vet said she was underweight and suggested that we weigh her every day.
So, we have weighed her every morning and night.
When we started weighing her a week ago, she was 89g in the morning + 90g at night. Her weight today has been 85g this morning and 83g currently.
Zazie's weight averages around 87g but 83 just seems so low compared to when he first started.

Is this normal?? I don't know if cockatiels' weight moves around a lot or if they should be at a steady weight?

Also, we just got her some Harrisons pellets and mixed in some red palm oil prescribed by the vet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Best to weigh in the morning before food but after their morning poop. This should give you the closest true weight if your bird- not the weight if food she’s eaten and digesting.
@Hankmacaw @enigma731 hopefully can help with adding foods to help your baby put on some weight.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You have a good start with the Harrison's and Red Palm oil. You may want to add probiotics wile she is on antibiotics. The antibiotic don't discriminate and kill not only the bad bugs, but the digestive flora and fauna in their digestive system. you should give the probiotics about 1 1/2 hour after giving the medication, so the antibiotics will be adsorbed out of the digestive system.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No it isn’t normal, she’s losing weight quickly. Does she get any protein food ( nuts, hard boiled egg, bits of chicken) ? What does she eat besides Harrison’s, and is she eating the pellets well?

What is her weight today?

OldDirtyTshirt

Moving in
No it isn’t normal, she’s losing weight quickly. Does she get any protein food ( nuts, hard boiled egg, bits of chicken) ? What does she eat besides Harrison’s, and is she eating the pellets well?

What is her weight today?

she was 81g this morning before food...She seems to eat her pellets well, she seems to eat some but sometimes she drops them while eating. And I also give her seeds too about 50/50. Veggies here and there, she doesn't like eating them very much.
I've been taking the sunflower seeds out of her mix, should I put them back in??
I don't know why she is losing weight so much :sad2: It makes me so sad, I don't know what to do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
she was 81g this morning before food...She seems to eat her pellets well, she seems to eat some but sometimes she drops them while eating. And I also give her seeds too about 50/50. Veggies here and there, she doesn't like eating them very much.
I've been taking the sunflower seeds out of her mix, should I put them back in??
I don't know why she is losing weight so much :sad2: It makes me so sad, I don't know what to do.
If she's having trouble maintaining her weight, I would let her have some sunflower seeds. You can also give her some millet spray. And I would give her probiotics.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It's normal for them to drop some food while eating, that's not a problem. The oil and sunflower seeds are things that will help her put on weight. Please keep a very close eye on the weight - which you can only do by weighing on a scale, you can't tell by looking unfortunately. Feed her everything she will eat. LOL This is no time for her to be worrying about her figure.

Does she seem like the ear is getting better?