• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Lovebird

Fratherpin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Adrian
Hello everyone. Please be kind and help my bird with your knowledge.My Lovebird is not feeling good.I noticed at night that only sometimes she is wheezing very hard but otherwhise she is a very active bird during the day and this is why I am confused.I only feed her pellets and fruits...I am from a not very developed country and I cand find an avian vet.Tonight when I came home I found hard feathers on her beak,maybe mucus or fungus?.I will try to post a photo.I just got her two weeks ago she is one and a half months old.I gave her vitamins for two weeks,water infused with garlic but nothing...I was thinking maybe air sack mites...I am afraid of losing her,please help me if you ever faced this.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I think a respiratory infection. A common one is clymadia. Would need a veterinarian to see and prescribe antibiotics.
It can be a wound, from injury, or from the infection in the sinuses.eith respiratory symptoms needs vet . I do not think air-sac mites.
Birds hide being sick so behavior is t the best indicator of how sick they are. With this plus respiratory weeze needs a vet

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wheezing is not good, a vet really needs to be consulted- some members may be able to help you locate some vet help if you list your country or general area.

If you are feeding pellets that are fortified then you should not really be using vitamins (unless prescribed by a vet) as most pellets have what is needed in them and you can overdose on vitamins.

Garlic is not the best thing to give to birds as there are some compounds in garlic (allicin I believe) that can actually make your bird anemic and some pellets already have a very small amount of garlic- garlic is on the list of things not to feed birds so is onion, chocolate, avocado, coffee and alcohol.

Fratherpin

Real Name
Adrian
The nearest vet is some 500km away...She is very very active during the day,plays with her friend,sings and no hard breathing and only at night when she turns her head around to sleep the sound starts but if the head is in straight position there is no wheezing,very strange...
.Thank you so much for your kind replays.I will keep in mind everything you guys said and will keep you up to date.Your knowledge is mine and her only hope for now at least.I wish you happy holydays!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Be very careful with letting your lovebird walk on top of that cage while the other bird is in there- it is very common to end up with feet being seriously damaged by being bitten by the bird in the cage. I also only see one cage, I just wanted to check that you are keeping these two beauties in their own cages and not housing them together... is this the case or are they sharing a cage?

Fratherpin

Real Name
Adrian
No,she has her own cage,just a bit smaller on top of the furniture.I will never let them in the same cage bcz she is new and my 5 yrs old jenday bites anyone but me :).I only let them fly in turns and always supervised !

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
The breeder or the place you got the bird will know of some resources. Birds are profit, and issues will come up. You can also look into wildlife rehabs , they also will have resources. Falconry clubs will have resources. Poultry industries/farmers also must use veterinarian resources, feed and farm stores that sell live chicks might also know of resources.
If you share your country or general location, some members are good at finding resources near you.
Som veterinarians will do video consultation, you can call your nearest vet and ask, or see if they can advice you of nearer to you resources. Almost always there are resources available

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
You could try looking up an avian vet online to see if someone could ship medication to you!