• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shy Cockatiel taming advice

Ketsune

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone, i need some advice in taming my new cockatiel , i got her around two weeks (breeder said she is from this year probably around mai) and she still acts extremely nervous around anyone, she doesn't get out of her cage not even if i leave the room and she tends to be either in a corner or gripping the cage wall.
If i put the food bowl in the cage she just stares at me and seems more or less fine, but if do anything else that isnt foodbowl, like changing newspaper or putting a toy she starts hissing, screaming or panic and hitting the cage walls. i tried the sitting near her method and she seems sorta ok, also tried the millet through cage wall and she seems to hesitate either just walks back and forth or goes to her corner. I'm not sure if she just extremely shy or if its the kakariks in my room that make her nervous as when i got her the first time i let her out of the cage and my female kakariki went after her and my tiel kept hitting the windows to a point my mom wanted to grab her to put her back in the cage but she bite so my mom used a blanket and since then she doesn't leave the cage. (i try to let her out while my kakarikis are in their cage but that also doesn't do much).

I got the kakarikis from the same breeder and they quickly got used to me, like first day (not i could touch them but they didn't panic at the sight of me and love eating), so im not sure if its a personality thing.

Does anyone have some sort of advice what i could do?

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Whenever you walk by her cage, drop a treat in her food bowl. Hopefully, she will connect your hand with food and calm down.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Welcome to the avenue!

Some cockatiels just take more time to get used to a new owner, so maybe just spend a week or two sitting next to her cage talking to her everyday, and hand feed her some more millet the more she warms up to you.

There are a few other threads on this forum that are about training scared birds so you might want to take a look at them.

Here is a website that could help you out- Cockatiel Advice and First Aid 101 - Taming

Good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you try letting her out of the cage in a room separate from your kakarikis? I think it's okay if they have in cage time in the same room, but my guess is she's afraid to come out because of the traumatic experience. My cockatiel Rosie is afraid of my goffin. I always take him to a separate room for out of the cage time. Also, 2 weeks really isn't very long. It can take a bird several months to settle in. You can also try covering her cage on three sides leaving the front open until she calms down a bit. That way she doesn't have to be alert for "danger" on all four sides.

Ketsune

Can you try letting her out of the cage in a room separate from your kakarikis? I think it's okay if they have in cage time in the same room, but my guess is she's afraid to come out because of the traumatic experience. My cockatiel Rosie is afraid of my goffin. I always take him to a separate room for out of the cage time. Also, 2 weeks really isn't very long. It can take a bird several months to settle in. You can also try covering her cage on three sides leaving the front open until she calms down a bit. That way she doesn't have to be alert for "danger" on all four sides.
I actually put her cage against two walls and the 3 side has a shelve so she only see whats in front of her and partially on one side, i did try the idea with the blanket but oh boy she completely freakz out thrashing around like a lunatic, i know my kakarikis are the same so cage covering are a big no no. I will try get getting my kakarikis in another room (as that cage has wheels and her hasn't and im not big or strong to carry her cage around) i just hope that if she does get out i dont need to resort to blanket to put her back in as the first time she kept crashing against the window and bite my mom (assuming she doesn't know what windows are).

Ketsune

Welcome to the avenue!

Some cockatiels just take more time to get used to a new owner, so maybe just spend a week or two sitting next to her cage talking to her everyday, and hand feed her some more millet the more she warms up to you.

There are a few other threads on this forum that are about training scared birds so you might want to take a look at them.

Here is a website that could help you out- Cockatiel Advice and First Aid 101 - Taming

Good luck!
Thank you, i will take a look at that.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I actually put her cage against two walls and the 3 side has a shelve so she only see whats in front of her and partially on one side, i did try the idea with the blanket but oh boy she completely freakz out thrashing around like a lunatic, i know my kakarikis are the same so cage covering are a big no no. I will try get getting my kakarikis in another room (as that cage has wheels and her hasn't and im not big or strong to carry her cage around) i just hope that if she does get out i dont need to resort to blanket to put her back in as the first time she kept crashing against the window and bite my mom (assuming she doesn't know what windows are).
You can put decals on the windows or close the curtains so she doesn't think she can fly threw the glass.