• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I move my budgie out of the flocks cage?

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
Hi! So, currently, I have three budgies in the same flight cage (Percy, Calypso and Grover). Calypso and Grover seem to be more bonded to one another, as Percy used to be bonded with our other budgie, Nico, who passed away last year. At the time, I thought Percy would benefit from living with Calypso and Grover, and they have lived together in the same cage ever since, but Percy still seems uncomfortable around them. He likes them, and sings along with them, but he hates them being anywhere near him - he'll move whenever they sit on the same perch. He isn't distressed in any way, but I wish he would be a bit more comfortable.

My question is, should I get him his own flight cage, so he is more comfortable - or would he get lonely, or find it too distressing?

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I definitely recommend getting him his own cage. "The odd guy out" is often in danger of being bullied and picked on by a more bonded pair - they want their own territory. Of course they can still play together outside and live side-by-side, but I think it would give all three more peace of mind (and you as well). Have you thought about adding another budger so he doesn't need to be alone?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes I think is it a wise thing to do in this case. Even better for you to find Percy a cage mate and put them into a separate cage. Very thoughtful of you to be thinking of their welfare. Budgies can gang up on a single budgie and wreck havoc. Being proactive is best.