• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I go through with getting this Macaw.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There are apps you can get on your phone with burner phone numbers. Whenever I do a transaction like this one, I use the burner number. Talk back and forth a couple times, then.... burn the number.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So we have not heard from you any more. What is the status of your relationship with this breeder? Many members are trying to help you and its nice to know any updates. Thanks

Lynnl1222

Moving in
Real Name
Megan
Thank you all for the amazing advice. I just had a gut feeling something was not right. This definitely confirms it.

Here’s a little update.

I went over this morning for my second visit.
I spent a good bit of time alone with Bennie. I talked to him and he even let me pet him. We played with his toys and he even tried to feed me a couple pieces of his food. He would take his foot and hold it up almost like he wanted to climb up on me. I didn’t want to rush anything since he’s scared of hands. Instead I let him lick and nibble on my hand. He was not rough just curious. However the breeder insisted I was confusing the Macaw and scaring it by bringing my hand to it and not doing anything. If that is true please someone correct me. I don’t want to make it worse on Bennie. I was just trying to let him get use to me. The breeder continued to show his way of making the macaw step up. Which in my opinion is very forceful since every time he does it Bennie almost falls completely off the perch. I asked him if I could try to get Bennie to step up for me. The breeder was hesitant but agreed. I calmly brought my hand up to Bennie and told him everything’s okay and that I’m here. He instantly stepped up and climbed to my shoulder. I proceeded to give him a treat of his bowl and told him good job Bennie you did it. The breeder told me I should never reward him with treats. I apologized and told him that’s how I trained my Jenday Conure and how my friend trained her Macaw. He then proceeded to bash me for doing that and then tried to instruct me on his way. Then he started asking a bunch of personal questions about my life. He asked about what I eat, do I drink alcohol, do I smoke, does my friends or boyfriend smoke. He told me I shouldn’t be wearing any perfume,deodorant,hand soap, or anything with any kind of odor. I told him I understand birds are more sensitive and that I wouldn’t ever try and put an animal in harms way. He calmed down after a while. Before I left he asked me if I wanted to put the bird back in his cage. I told him I don’t feel comfortable putting Bennie back in the cage way he does. He then proceeded to chase Bennie around the top of his cage pick Bennie up and literally tossed him in the cage. The worst part is Bennie fell to the bottom of the cage. Then slowly crawled back up. He was shaking on his perch when I came over. I talked to him a little bit more and got a good look at the cage before I left. The cage is already too small. But the perches are small and not natural wood. He has no toys in his cage. I felt so bad for him. I definitely think I’m going to get him and I want to take him home as soon as possible.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
. I definitely think I’m going to get him and I want to take him home as soon as possible.
Then the decision is made :)

It is great that he stepped up for you! That is a big thing for a bird.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Shocking how trustful he can be with you in such a short time after dealing with the rough treatment by that guy. I'm so glad you can be the person to get him out of there.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for the update. You are doing the right thing to get him out of there as soon as possible. What a cruel man this person is to a bird. I hope the bird is not too scared for the bad treatment he has been receiving. Please let us know.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The “breeder” hasn’t given you ANY good advice. You did great. Get the bird, pitch the cage, and get an appointment with an avian vet. When you pick the bird up, tell the “breeder” how your boyfriend is getting home from his second tour in the special forces.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sometimes they grab our heartstrings and you've no choice! Sounds like this is what happened.
I am so happy you will be showing Bennie that life can be fun, rewarding, and sweet.
You may have some challenges as you and Bennie get to know each other, never be afraid to come and ask here.
Even the silliest questions, one of us has also had at one time.
I hope you stay and allow us to share your and Bennie's journey.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
From @Lynnl1222 's descriptions of her experiences with the bird, I think he was probably a good boy who had good owners in the past. I really don't think she will have any problems with him if she takes it easy with him.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
OMG my heart aches for this bird-but I have a funny feeling this isn't going to be a smooth transaction, this guy is a control freak. Do not let him intimidated you. Please, Please don't give him your address or any personal information. You are purchasing this bird not rescuing it so I don't think he is allowed to ask for a home visit-someone please correct me if I am wrong. I just don't like the sounds if this guy-its his way & he seems to feel he is right no matter what.
I am thrilled you are going to take him, I feel you will be just fine. Can't wait to see pictures of you & Bennie.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I so hope this is allowed as I don't recall the rulers for posting links but here is one that may help along the way....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FROuYONhQyQ...rescued macaw learns to trust. See I am so sure you will be bringing that baby boy home soon lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so glad you're getting him. I think he'll do great with you.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes definitely do NOT let him help you bring the bird or things to your place. Make more than one trip or have a friend in another vehicle go with you, do not want to give this guy a chance at ‘being helpful’.
he sounds like he would be bad news if he knew where you lived...even better, give him the address on an empty lot as far away from your home, if he demands to have visits etc...If he should decide to stop in, no harm done to anyone...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope he does not get ahold of your address and then come by to check on the bird. Please dont let him in if he does. I repeat the above post for your safety please have someone else with you.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm behind you getting Benny 100%. Continue playing the breeder's disgusting game until after the bill of sale.
Benny will blossom under your care. Please keep us posted. We're all here to help support you in any way that we can.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really hope you get Bennie. He needs to be placed in a good home so go get him and leave that breeder and most of his advice behind.