• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Should I get a brother for my Blue and Gold??

Should I get another Macaw?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

babyblue35

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki
Let me start by saying that I absolutely ADORE my baby Blu :xflove: (or course). My issue right now is that he is so needy of me that I can't even walk by his tree or perch or cage without him screaming if I don't let him step up on me. He barely plays with his toys because all he wants is me so he spends most of his time staring at me with one foot up in hopes that I'll go over and get him :(. I work from home so he is out of the cage almost all day (except for feeding times). He has so many beautiful toys that I've spent so much money on but he doesn't play with them :arghh:.

I play with him everyday and we have our snuggle and lovey times every day. I've read that when this happens that perhaps other family members should take over care for awhile while the primary caregiver steps back. Let me just tell you now that that will NEVER happen in my house. I have 3 smaller kids, 2 of which are not capable of taking care of him and the oldest one is now scared of him because he has recently bitten her. My husband? LOL!!! He likes Blu. Thinks he is beautiful and "neat" and fun but has no desire to even try to develop a relationship with him so naturally, Blu bites him every time he goes near him and won't let him do anything.

Another "option" is to get rid of him :crycry2: and THAT will NEVER happen!! I just could not get rid of my baby :crycry:. The next options would be to keep in in the cage more as he behaves a little better when he's in there but since I'm home all day I cannot and will not ever justify placing in a cage when he is able to be out and free.

So....my question is....should I get another Blue and Gold for him to flock with in hopes that having a macaw companion would take some of the pressure off of me? I know that having a macaw flock mate will take away some of his love for me but at this point, I can't handle his clinginess and I am perfectly willing to share him with another beautiful baby.

PLEASE HELP! My husband is at his wits end with all of the screaming that Blu does every single time I leave the room or even walk across the room without acknowledging him. It's even hard for me to leave the house because he can see out the window when I leave and proceeds to scream his head off for about 10 minutes while my husband is trying to work. Then when I return, if I don't dash right into the house, Blu will scream and shake his cage and go ballistic until I am in the house!! He is becoming a very strong source of anxiety in my life and I don't want it to get any worse because I love him so much :heart:

Any insight, ideas, opinions or information anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated :joyful:

Thanks!
:ittalks!: DSCN1603.jpg

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Not a mac person, but my 0.02 is that if he is that heavily bonded to you, it hurts the chances that he'd accept another macaw. Then you'd have 2 whom both needed individual time and interaction to curb jealousy.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as sticking two together!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Beautiful bird. I have 2 blue and gold macaws. Frankie is 7 and Bebe is just over 2.
During the day I am home with them.
They have a double wide cage they can play in when I am busy or going out, but other than that they are out during the day. There is a divider in the cage which i sometimes leave in because Frankie doesn't always want to play with Bebe and it gives him his own space.
With my 2, I find the companionship is good for them, and for the most part they get along well. It doesn't stop them from being needy for my attention though.
So, of course, with that comes double the screaming, though only for short periods.
Every bird has it's own personality, some are loud, some are louder, lol. We're talking macaws so IMO there is going to be some noise level.

There are quite a few macaw lovers on here with more experience who can offer you more advice.
We had 3 at one time, but for travel purposes overseas we could only bring 2 with us. We brought the quieter 2? lol Sometimes I wonder...

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww, he is a baby. How old?

No, another baby macaw won't fix your problem, it will double it. Having a macaw is like having a two year old for the rest of your life. Locking him up for longer periods will increase his behaviors not minimize them.

Young macaws are very bonded to their family, they are the same in the wild. How old is your little guy?

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I would start with him learning some contact calls when he does the screaming and use that to distract him with the screaming. He is screaming to get your attention but you just keep ignoring him so he screams until he gets your attention. If he says any words or even a wolf whistle, use that and try to get him to say it back to you, you will find you can do that without even thinking of doing it. If he doesn't have any words or even sounds yet, start your own. I can handle Kalea saying her La-la's over and over easier than I can her screaming.

Does he have toys ON the stand to play with and occupy his mind?

Feathers & Fins

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keith
It sounds like you just need to work with him. Reinforce good behavior, and completely ignore bad behavior ( screaming ) will take some time, but it will get better. Getting another one at this particular time may double your troubles….tooo risky…… Try adding foraging toys to his cage . Show him how to find them, to help him out. I try not to feed to much in his bowls and put more of his food all over his cage so he hs to spend time looking for it to help keep him occupied.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not a mac person, but my 0.02 is that if he is that heavily bonded to you, it hurts the chances that he'd accept another macaw. Then you'd have 2 whom both needed individual time and interaction to curb jealousy.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as sticking two together!
This has been my experience! Both of my Macaws are bonded to me and only have a visual relationship with the other. At times my male will scream his disappointment when I pick up the other one.

I would agree with those that are saying encourage foraging and an alternate contact call. My male has a very pleasant contact call, which I reinforced by always answering it. I call back, tell him what I'm doing and tell him I'll be there shortly.

As corny as it sounds, talk and explain to your Macaw what you're doing, what you're going to be doing, when you're leaving and when you will be home. Say Good-Bye, have a special treat only for Good-Bye time, tell him you'll be home and when you'll be home. They understand.

Edited to add: What a pretty baby. Looks like he's a good eater and should take quickly to searching for food (foraging) on his play stand and in his cage. Dr. Echol's a very well known and respected Avian Vet believes our parrots should forage for all their food.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Your baby is beautiful. :) I'm not a macaw owner but I've always been told with birds in general, never get a bird for your bird. Only get a bird if YOU want another bird. There's never a guaranty that two birds will get along and it's double the work, double the noise, etc.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
You could get another macaw but odds are that you'll just have TWO fids to deal with.
You also risk losing your best friend or having to juggle the two because they don't mesh well.
Sometimes you strike gold and they get along beautifully and that primal flocking behavior/interaction with another bird can work in your favor.

I think a better option would be what has already been said. Reinforce a new call and slowly (it'll take time and patience but you'll get results if you are consistent) ignore the screaming. Get some high quality headphones if they will appease your husband and yourself and allow you to be consistent with ignoring the screaming.
My GW would use a scream to get my attention. I live in an apartment so that wasn't good. I would play with her and when she made a silly sound I liked or talked I would reward like crazy. Soon she started offering that sound for rewards. I then started testing her by leaving the room and I still vividly remember her "Ah Ha" break through moment. She was just a screaming as hard as she could go and then....silence...."hello"
Holy cow she got a mega jack pot of teats and the biggest snuggle/scuffle of her life I think!

I tested it again. (They learn through consistent repetition). After about 3 or 4 reps right in a row she gave up screaming and offered a silly sound or hello when I left her sight. Over time the screams became less and less frequent and I could wait longer and longer to reward her until the screams became almost entirely extinct.
Now attention screaming is a thing of the past and I hear a "just being a macaw" scream maybe once a month or so. Talking, squawks, and squewees abound but they are not objectionable at all and are fun to hear.
Talking to them and telling them what's up is totally legit. My girl knows what I mean when I say "I'll be right back" versus "Bye/See you later" etc. They appreciate the inclusion even if they don't understand every single word.

Additionally foraging is a huge thing to keep that beak busy and full and therefore quieter. I don't use a bowl to feed my girl. She has 24/7 access to food through foraging. Don't be disheartened about the toys. My girl doesn't chew on them either or very little. I have some that are over a year old. She is healthy and happy so I don't mind the saved $$.

Target training, teaching him tricks/games, and even basic flight skills will also keep his mind stimulated and provide exercise to burn off that hyper youngster energy. That'll go a long way in preventing naughty behavior and can help other family members interact hands free and in a safe/positive manner so everyone is on good terms at the very least.
My girl gets naughty when I'm not flying her enough.

Beautiful baby by the way! Welcome!!!

Last edited:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
What do you use for foraging? Do you have toys or do you make your own?

They are such pretty and healthy looking macaws.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
If YOU want another bird then by all mean get another. But it is not going a fix to the problems with the bird you have. There are many tips here to help you change some of the behavior problems you are having or redirect them or minimize them.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Oh - I love PVC. Do you have pics of what you made? I can probably figure out how to make it if I had a pic.

Feathers & Fins

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keith
Oh - I love PVC. Do you have pics of what you made? I can probably figure out how to make it if I had a pic.
Ok here are 3 ideas. I use a dremel to cut out the sections so Ringo can get to the food.

Attachments

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have to add that interesting toys are not going to claim your bird's attention in lieu of you. My birds have good play areas, lots of frankentoys I make, and both ambient and direct attention. I'm constantly working on fomenting independence. It's an ongoing exercise. Harry will play with "interesting " toys, but when he wants me, he's done. Gossamer also prefers us to any toy, except food. Especially food she doesn't get on a regular basis, like nuts and seeds. You have to be vigilant and reward desired behaviors IMMEDIATELY. Timing is critical.

I had Harry and Daphne out together while I graded stories. Daphne was fine. Harry, my spoiled monster, flew to me 3 times and was returned to the ring stand 3 times. No drama reward, no muss, no fuss. Next, he started flying to the java tree where Daphne was. They weren't thrilled, but there was no aggression. Harry used that as a new approach and hopped on my chair from there. I ignored him unless he grabbed my ears or attempted to ventilate my recliner. He did, 3 times. On the third, I returned him to his cage. Brat.

babyblue35

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki
You could get another macaw but odds are that you'll just have TWO fids to deal with.
You also risk losing your best friend or having to juggle the two because they don't mesh well.
Sometimes you strike gold and they get along beautifully and that primal flocking behavior/interaction with another bird can work in your favor.

I think a better option would be what has already been said. Reinforce a new call and slowly (it'll take time and patience but you'll get results if you are consistent) ignore the screaming. Get some high quality headphones if they will appease your husband and yourself and allow you to be consistent with ignoring the screaming.
My GW would use a scream to get my attention. I live in an apartment so that wasn't good. I would play with her and when she made a silly sound I liked or talked I would reward like crazy. Soon she started offering that sound for rewards. I then started testing her by leaving the room and I still vividly remember her "Ah Ha" break through moment. She was just a screaming as hard as she could go and then....silence...."hello"
Holy cow she got a mega jack pot of teats and the biggest snuggle/scuffle of her life I think!

I tested it again. (They learn through consistent repetition). After about 3 or 4 reps right in a row she gave up screaming and offered a silly sound or hello when I left her sight. Over time the screams became less and less frequent and I could wait longer and longer to reward her until the screams became almost entirely extinct.
Now attention screaming is a thing of the past and I hear a "just being a macaw" scream maybe once a month or so. Talking, squawks, and squewees abound but they are not objectionable at all and are fun to hear.
Talking to them and telling them what's up is totally legit. My girl knows what I mean when I say "I'll be right back" versus "Bye/See you later" etc. They appreciate the inclusion even if they don't understand every single word.

Additionally foraging is a huge thing to keep that beak busy and full and therefore quieter. I don't use a bowl to feed my girl. She has 24/7 access to food through foraging. Don't be disheartened about the toys. My girl doesn't chew on them either or very little. I have some that are over a year old. She is healthy and happy so I don't mind the saved $$.

Target training, teaching him tricks/games, and even basic flight skills will also keep his mind stimulated and provide exercise to burn off that hyper youngster energy. That'll go a long way in preventing naughty behavior and can help other family members interact hands free and in a safe/positive manner so everyone is on good terms at the very least.
My girl gets naughty when I'm not flying her enough.

Beautiful baby by the way! Welcome!!!

This was VERY helpful!! Thank you for all of this advice!

babyblue35

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki
Thank you all for these awesome ideas and advice and for telling me how beautiful he is :xflove:. I absolutely ADORE him but I don't need to tell all of you how this love is so amazing :heart:

I do have toys all over his tree and all over his cage. I even have a thing that goes on my recliner that I can hook toys too so he can be near me but still occupied at the same time, it doesn't work LOL! He just crawls down onto me and gets right in my face as if to say "Excuse me! Talk to me! Play with me! Focus on me ONLY!" When I'm sitting in the chair with him, he doesn't allow me to do anything other than touch and talk to him. If I start talking to someone else, he gets in my face and nips at my lip (not hard but hard enough to make me stop talking...guess he knows what he's doing LOL). It's hard to find foraging toys that he doesn't destroy in 5 minutes so I really like those PVC ideas that I saw and I'm definitely going to try to make some of my own.

I DO want another Macaw. I wouldn't just be getting another one to keep him distracted but my husband is about at his wits end with him as it is and feels a lot like most of you in that it would just be double the attention seeking, double the mess, double the screaming, etc. So I just don't know :wtf:

Another question that I have is, exactly how much time should I be spending with him, one on one, every day. I cannot find a clear answer anywhere and I think that part of the problem is just me worried that I'm not spending enough time with him. Everyone scares you before you get a large parrot saying things like "they need 8 hours of attention per day" which, to me is absolutely ridiculous and is the reason why I feel like another Macaw (flock mate) would help because I physically cannot spend 8 hours a day with him. I usually spend about 30 minutes with him after he eats his breakfast and while I'm having my coffee in the morning. Then I put him on his tree and start work (I work from home). Then I'll spend another 30-45 minutes with him after dinner before I put him to bed for the night. Am I spending enough time with him????

I've started carrying pine nuts in my pockets for when I leave the room and when he says something like "hello" or " peekaboo" or "i love you" I say (from the other room) "That's a good baby". He seems to really like it when I tell him he's a good baby :heart:. I repeat this over and over until I can get back into the room again and if he was able to keep from screaming, I give him a treat and tell him he's a good baby and give him kisses. If he does scream while I'm out of the room, I say nothing at all. I don't speak until he makes a quiet jabber or says a word. I've tried to pick up and leave the room as soon as he screams to teach him that screaming makes me go away but it's so hard to do when I'm working because it happens so frequently.

Sorry for the long post again, I just am so desperate to fix this because I love him so much and my family is starting to hate him :( and that breaks my heart so I really appreciate all of your posts and suggestions and advice :hug8: